2008 Predications
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:49:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Predications
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 2008 Predications  (Read 23833 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2003, 12:09:52 AM »

Hutchison might be a strong candidate. Yes, she's intelligent and charming. She's too conservative for me, but she might be a formidable nominee. Dole is probably getting to be too old to make a run, but you never know.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2003, 05:59:23 AM »

I don't know how old Kay Bailey Hutchinson is, but she's been in the Senate a long time, and has shown no previous inclination to run for president.  I think she was also under indictment at one point for something, and although she was acquitted, that could be used against her.

Elizabeth Dole jumped the gun in 2000 when, without any previous elective experience, she ran for president under a "vote for me because I'm a woman" slogan, basically.  She is now 65 years old, so I think the odds are against her making another run, even though she would now have experience in the Senate.

To be honest, I think that the only reason these two people are mentioned as prospects is because they are women.  I don't think a female candidate can win on that basis -- there has to be more to it.

I don't think a woman can win running as a Democrat at this point.  Almost all the people who would vote for a person BECAUSE she's a woman are already strongly Democratic, and the support of many of those people would repel male voters, and even many more conservative female voters.  She would have to take rabidly liberal positions to win the nomination, and the fact that she was a woman would be even more unsettling to more traditional voters.

However, on the Republican line, being a woman would be an advantage.  More traditional voters would be reassured by a more conservative female nominee, and she could also pick up some of the people who simply want a woman in office no matter what.  Those people wouldn't ultimately like Republican policies, but they (wrongly) view any woman as an improvement over a man.

Personally, my main concern is policies and ideas, as well as strength and courage.  If a woman candidate is to my liking in those areas, I would vote for her.  Margaret Thatcher had more b**ls than many of the male politicians we've seen, so in the end I don't really care what a candidate has between his/her legs.

On the other hand, an appeal to vote for a candidate BECAUSE she's a woman, because somehow a woman, any woman, in office would represent a huge advance, would be a big turnoff to me.  That argument would more likely be advanced by a Democratic candidate, because a Republican candidate wouldn't make it past the primaries with that message.
M

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2003, 01:18:26 PM »

Kay Bailey might be interesting. The buzz here in the Lone Star State is that she may challenge Perry in the 2006 gubernatorial election. Personally, I think that would be a mistake even if she pulled it off. The GOP is too new to dominance here to take kindly to a serious primary challenge to a respected incumbent. That just might be her thought process, though- governor's mansion to white house.

If Hutchison ran on "vote for me, I'm a woman" I would be no less than shocked. I would expect a lot of her platform to be education; both something she has experience with and taking a page from GWB.  Depending on what's big right then, she can emphasize small but compassionate government, conservative economics, or war on terror. She is not an extreme conservative by any standard, here in TX she's almost liberal, but everyone loves her. She could be an interesting Dark Horse.

Maggie Thatcher was, of course, one of the greatest British PMs since WWII, up there with Eden, Churchill (of course!), and maybe Blair.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2003, 03:39:53 PM »

Repeat:

That "woman" destroyed the economies of Wales, Central Scotland, the North and the Inner Cites.

She wasted oil revenues on balancing the budget, failed to impliment her "vison", never understood economics, the Poll Tax, Section 28, the death of Mining communities, the worst recession since the '30's and 3 million unemployed(the highest ever).
M

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2003, 05:25:46 PM »

Well, the British people certainly kept returning her to office! 11 years isn't a bad run for a freely elected leader, in my book.

No, the reason she was so great was that she wasn't going to give in to Soviet might and Libyan terror. Good for you, Maggie! Also for confronting and reining in militant and out of control trade unions.
Demrepdan

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2003, 05:30:21 PM »

I haven't read this thread, so I am wondering if anyone has suggested that W will run in 08 if he loses in 04.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this. That if Bush were to lose in '04, that he may consider running in '08. I doubt he would though, im 99.99% sure. No President has attempted to be President again after being fully defeated (i.e. losing the Electoral Vote AND popular vote). After a President has been defeated, his odds of being elected again are slim to none. And...Slim just...left town....ok you've heard it!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2003, 12:05:23 AM »

I doubt Bush would run again in 2008, unless 2004 was a very close and controversial race.
I do remember hearing during the recount in 2000 a lot of Republicans saying that even if Gore wins the recount, Bush will run again in 2004, due to the closeness and controversy of the race and the fact that he still would have beaten expectations given the strength of the economy. Likewise, even at that time Dems were saying that Gore shouldn't run if he ends up losing, since he ran a relatively poor campaign.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2003, 12:13:25 AM »

Maybe Jeb Bush will run. Since they don't get constantly assasinated like the Kennedys, they can milk that dynasty for all it's worth.
Demrepdan

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2003, 04:27:55 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2003, 04:28:45 AM by Demrepdan »

Maybe Jeb Bush will run. Since they don't get constantly assasinated like the Kennedys, they can milk that dynasty for all it's worth.

All hail the Bush dynasty!
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2003, 11:36:05 AM »

If Bush wins a 2nd term I'd like to see Gore, Hillary, and Dean all run for the Democrat nomination in '08.  Talk about wild! That would finally clear the air about who controls the Democrat party.
M

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2003, 11:44:53 AM »

Geez, now that would be a heck of a lot of fun. I don;t think it'll happen- at least Gore and Hillary will figure out who's running quietly. But if it did, that would be cool!
Especially since we GOPers may have a fairly hectic primary ourselves, so confusion in the enemy ranks would be nice.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2003, 12:41:20 PM »

Neil Kinnock faced down Militant you ignorant little s***. Thatcher had NOTHING to do with it.

The only reason why she won 3 elections is because in 1980 Labour spilt and a new party(the SDP) won over a lot of normal Labour voters.

She DESTROYED entire Regions with her crazed economic policies.
M

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2003, 02:49:06 PM »

I really don't know enough to debate you on British politics, but I wish we could get a bright Tory on this forum to face you down. Anyway, this isn't really the thread to discuss Thatcher.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2003, 03:43:03 PM »

There should never be a woman president. Men should always hold that high office. That Tradition needs to be upheld.
LOL!!! Oh my God! It's a good thing we don't have any women registered at this forum (at least I don't think we do). They would be all over that in an instant. That's a horrible sexist comment. However, I don't have room to complain, I once wrote a letter (as a joke, of course) bashing women. Here is an excerpt:

You know what a woman should be doing? She should be in the kitchen making something to eat! Or getting her husband a beer. Or making babies and or taking care of them. And giving their husbands lots of SEX. Woman should have no respectable place in society. Men are the dominant sex and for GOOD REASON!

Demrepdan:  Even though your letter was a joke you said, I do believe that Men are the Dominant Sex. However, Women should be placed upon pedestals by their Men.
     To all other Liberal Minded Thinkers and Stinkers, My remarks are NOT Sexist! But, us Men need to draw the line somewhere. Is there anything Sacred anymore?

err U guys are joking right?Huh Sorry I'm being a bit dull right now.......its 4am
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2003, 03:48:15 PM »

With M I'm not sure...
Demrepdan

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2003, 05:01:30 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2003, 05:04:47 PM by Demrepdan »

err U guys are joking right?Huh Sorry I'm being a bit dull right now.......its 4am
I WAS joking. I can't speak for Christopher Michael however. If you look at the post I had AFTER that, you can clearly see I'm not joking, because I knock his idea of the Presidency being a "sacred office". His idea that no woman should serve as President (if that is his true feeling) is utterly ridiculous.
mikeyc

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2003, 08:00:12 PM »

I promised my 2008 predictions :-)  here goes....well, at least the Presidential candidates.

With Republicans, I can see:
Jeb Bush (Florida), Norm Coleman (Minnesota), Liddy Dole (North Carolina), Bill Frist (Tennessee), Rudy Giuliani (New York), George Pataki (New York), Condi Rice (California), Tom Ridge (Pennsylvania), Arnold Schwarzenegger (California - only if Orrin Hatch's wishes come true :-), Tommy Thompson (Wisconsin), JC Watts (Oklahoma)

John McCain (Arizona) will run as an Independent.

For Democrats:

Hillary Clinton (New York), John Edwards (North Carolina), Harold Ford (Tennessee), Al Franken (Minnesota), Al Gore (Tennessee), John Kerry (Massachusetts), Dennis Kucinich (Ohio), Bill Richardson (New Mexico), Tom Vilsack (Iowa)

For Green:
yes, Michael Moore........and Ralph Nader

predictions:
This one is kinda tough and too early (overall it's too early anyways :-)  But I see a few scenarios:

-Jeb Bush vs. Hillary Clinton (this one I cannot pick at all.....)
-Hillary Clinton vs. Bill Frist (Hillary would win slightly)
-Hillary Clinton vs. Rudy Giuliani (Rudy would win)
-Hillary Clinton vs. George Pataki (Hillary would win)
-Hillary Clinton vs. Condi Rice (unfortunately I really think Condi can't beat Hillary)
M

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2003, 01:14:03 PM »

Now just one second here! Those statements were not mine. I wouyld have no problem with a female president, in fact you will find above I suggested Condi Rice for Pres and agreed Hutchison would be a good president. In fact, YOU got upset at ME for defendig Thatcher. I am not a racist, sexist, etc., I am disgusted by such sentiments, and I'm begging you to stop these kinds of attacks.
Demrepdan

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2003, 05:18:20 PM »

Why in the hell do people think Al Franken will run for President in '08?! I wouldn't be surprised of Ben Stein ran for the Republicans in '08!

Maybe that's what it'll be.......Franken vs. Stein in 2008.
mikeyc

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2003, 03:34:14 AM »

Al Franken......I can honestly see it.  I never said he'll capture the candidacy, but I can see him as a nominee.  Or is it the other way around :-)
mikeyc

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2003, 03:34:56 AM »

too late into the night :-) - Franken will be amongst the group of Democrats, but I can't see him being the front forerunner
John

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2003, 02:55:02 PM »

The GOP is the Party to Vote for in 04, 06, & 08 But if you don't Vote then we lose
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »

All hail the Bush dynasty!
 The Bush dynasty will be crushed in 04

Unless dean is the candidate
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2003, 03:35:59 PM »

The GOP is the Party to Vote for in 04, 06, & 08 But if you don't Vote then we lose
spreading propaganda are ya?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2003, 05:22:19 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2003, 05:32:32 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

The GOP is the Party to Vote for in 04, 06, & 08

How nice to see an unbiased, bipartisan and thoroughly well-argued opinion.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yogi Berra lives!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies