Will Bill Richardson's campaign ever get off the ground?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:17:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Will Bill Richardson's campaign ever get off the ground?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Bill Richardson's campaign ever get off the ground?  (Read 2218 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:58:23 AM »

When you look at Bill Richardson's credentials, he seems like a fantastic presidential candidate. A sucessful governor from a very close swing state in a region that could prove very important to his party in the near future. A former congressman, energy secretary and UN diplomat. More experience in government than the 3 leading candidates (all senators) combined.

However, as of now, he's only winning his home state, and even in neighboring Nevada, isn't even polling 5%.

He does have some skeletons to worry about, but that obviously isn't what's keeping him down in the polls right now. To be hurt by scandals, you first have to be broadly known.

So why is it that Richardson isn't more popular right now? Is it that the media hasn't played out the battle between Clinton and Obama yet? Will they turn to him come winter when the current characters in this drama become old? Is he just a boring uncharismatic candidate that'll drop out soon?

I don't understand it really; any insights?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:42:20 AM »

Aside from political wonks who has heard of Richardson?  Honestly.  Think about a friend you have who votes but who isn't "into" politics the way most of us are.  Ask him to name 4 sitting governors.  I guarantee he will say Arnold, his home state's gov, Jeb Bush, and then he'll get stuck.

The average American only knows the big names.  So, for the Dems, they know Clinton, Obama, and Edwards.  A few can say they've heard of Biden because he gets in the news for being outspoken the last few years.  Same thing can be said about Kucinich (because he ran in 2004).

Sure, Richardson has the resume but he doesn't have the name recognition.  If I were on his team I'd take a page from the Howard Dean playbook and start exploiting the internet.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

It's the name recognition of course, but unknown candidates have taken off in the past by working those early primary states hard.  If you can attract attention in those early primary states, you can use a strong showing there to catch fire nationally.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »

Give it time, he's slowly building momentum in the primary states. 
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:07:22 PM »

He seemed to be getting some momentum but the debate pushed him back to square one.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »

He seemed to be getting some momentum but the debate pushed him back to square one.
elcorazon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:09 PM »

he's just not that good of a candidate, despite the resume.

but frankly, it's way too early to wonder why anybody hasn't gotten off the ground.

I do wonder about whether the slow building in the early primary states is still possible with the front heavy primary schedule, however.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »

This campaign season has barely even started give it some time.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:00:15 PM »

When you look at Bill Richardson's credentials, he seems like a fantastic presidential candidate. A sucessful governor from a very close swing state in a region that could prove very important to his party in the near future. A former congressman, energy secretary and UN diplomat. More experience in government than the 3 leading candidates (all senators) combined.

However, as of now, he's only winning his home state, and even in neighboring Nevada, isn't even polling 5%.

He does have some skeletons to worry about, but that obviously isn't what's keeping him down in the polls right now. To be hurt by scandals, you first have to be broadly known.

So why is it that Richardson isn't more popular right now? Is it that the media hasn't played out the battle between Clinton and Obama yet? Will they turn to him come winter when the current characters in this drama become old? Is he just a boring uncharismatic candidate that'll drop out soon?

I don't understand it really; any insights?

yeah, I have an insight: the fact that he looked like he was pinching off a huge turd at the Democrartic debates all sweaty and gross-looking didn't  help him
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 04:52:54 PM »

Richardson showed the world he is a joke in the debate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 05:01:34 PM »

Richardson showed the world he is a joke in the debate.

Well, given his resume, he's obviously not a "joke", full stop, but what he did show the world was what I've been saying all along, which is that a candidate's quality is not directly linked to the extent of that candidate's experience.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 05:49:48 PM »

I like Richardson, not as much as I used considering his comments on nationally banning public smoking, but the truth of the matter is that he simply isn't interesting enough to catch fire with the voters of shorter attention spans. Listening to him talk is like watching flies , I think the debate proves that point well enough. People are looking for more than just competence, they are looking for someone who is articulate and inspiring...especially after 8 years of Bush. Richardson simply falls short in that department.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 12:09:16 AM »

The debate means nothing.  2 months from now the only thing people will be able to tell you is that Gravel out-crazied Kucinich.  Also, as General MAS117 pointed out, we still have a long way to go in this primary and lots of things can change.  Furthermore, the media is basing its coverage of the candidates on pre-existing name recognition in order to get more viewers.  People are going to tire of those faces after endless months of pointless coverage.

Just in case you weren't aware Richardson has recently begun running ads in both New Hampshire and Iowa and the Iowa ones are pretty funny and should hopefully boost his numbers.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 12:38:56 AM »

Is the Iowa one the job interview one? If so, yeah, that one is good.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 07:35:15 AM »

I like Richardson, not as much as I used considering his comments on nationally banning public smoking, but the truth of the matter is that he simply isn't interesting enough to catch fire with the voters of shorter attention spans. Listening to him talk is like watching flies , I think the debate proves that point well enough. People are looking for more than just competence, they are looking for someone who is articulate and inspiring...especially after 8 years of Bush. Richardson simply falls short in that department.

Right, and in 2000 people wanted sweet southern tough talk, which...they recieved. If it is based on appeal rather than record, I smell a Giuliani vs. Obama race. If it goes as I predict, I feel the destiny of 2008 sits in a classic McCain vs. Hillary race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies