John Cox suing for exclusion in debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:18:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  John Cox suing for exclusion in debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Cox suing for exclusion in debate  (Read 3684 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:58:27 PM »

http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2007/05/10/ap-state-sc/d8p1o7no1.txt

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Keep in mind that had there not been an outrage, this debate could have exluded every besides Rudy McRomney.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:02:53 PM »

Who the hell is John Cox?!

I'm very surprised he's being excluded from the debate, what with all his name recognition and his high-profile candidacy and all.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 06:05:02 PM »

Is he even a real candidate? Will he be on the ballot in January?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »

I'm very surprised he's being excluded from the debate, what with all his name recognition and his high-profile candidacy and all.
^^^^^^^^

If I had 15 minutes to run around on foot in my community and garner support for 08, I could outpoll Cox by the end of the day. While he should have been included, I still doubt he wouldve broken the extremly exclusive 1% minimum.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »

^^^^^^^^

If I had 15 minutes to run around on foot in my community and garner support for 08, I could outpoll Cox by the end of the day. While he should have been included, I still doubt he wouldve broken the extremly exclusive 1% minimum.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »

Cox is running ads in Iowa and has some backing, primarily in the Conservative western part of the state. His ads are just platitudes about "Reagan Conservatism", but they are well done. I feel Cox, who can self finance, is a third tier candidate who should be included in the debates. If Jim Gilmore can be in the debates, than Cox should as well.

However, I still have a terrible feeling about the snickers America would get with a "President Cox." Wink 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2007, 06:46:39 PM by Sen. Ernest »

I hope he gets slapped with a hefty fine for a frivolous lawsuit.  FOX News and the SC GOP are private entities who are sponsoring this debate and can damn well invite whoever they want.  Just because he and Daniel Gilbert have paid their $25,000 filing fees doesn't automatically include them in a debate.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »

Politics 1 on Cox:

"Wealthy attorney John Cox was an unsuccessful GOP primary candidate for Congress in 2000, a losing candidate for US Senate in the 2002 primary, and the GOP nominee for Cook County Recorder of Deeds in 2004. Undaunted for three defeats in a row, Cox is now running for President in 2008. As for government experience, Cox previously served on the Glenview District 34 Local School Council and the Glenview Zoning Board in suburban Chicago."

Who the hell runs for office in Cook County as a Republican?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »

"Wealthy attorney John Cox was an unsuccessful GOP primary candidate for Congress in 2000, a losing candidate for US Senate in the 2002 primary, and the GOP nominee for Cook County Recorder of Deeds in 2004. Undaunted for three defeats in a row, Cox is now running for President in 2008. As for government experience, Cox previously served on the Glenview District 34 Local School Council and the Glenview Zoning Board in suburban Chicago."

At least in 2002, John Cox had an entitlement complex and was angry anyone else got in the race despite the fact he failed to gain any traction the whole time.  He tries hard to be relevant, but trying hard does not mean doing a good job.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »

However, I still have a terrible feeling about the snickers America would get with a "President Cox." Wink 

It was much closer in 1920 than it'll get in 2008. Wink
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »

He might not be in the debates, but he has a crack campaign team working for him, putting fliers on cars at a LONG ISLAND mall.....
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »

My opinion on this is that he is registered as a candidate for President in the Republican Party.  If this is a Republican debate, then he should be included, unless if those hosting the debate released a series of qualifiers before hand, so the general public can see where Cox did not meet the needed criteria.  At this early stage in the game, however, I can't imagine the bar being set that high.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 12:19:38 AM »

Haha, John Cox.

I mean, why wouldn't they let a guy into the debates who's political experience stretches no further than school board? Cox is just one of those rich, 4th tier candidates who thinks that they are more important in the primary than they really are.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »

he has a crack campaign team working for him, putting fliers on cars at a LONG ISLAND mall.....

Well, he is running for President of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »

he has a crack campaign team working for him, putting fliers on cars at a LONG ISLAND mall.....

Granted, but when your a staunch conservative and squeezed for money as it is, Long Island isn't exactly the best place to put that much time and energy into (or any for that matter) especially when this occurred before any talk of NY moving their Primaries up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 12:11:11 AM »

Granted, but when your a staunch conservative and squeezed for money as it is, Long Island isn't exactly the best place to put that much time and energy into (or any for that matter) especially when this occurred before any talk of NY moving their Primaries up.

Oh, I understand that point but I assumed that you realized that the Cox campaign is just an unorganized joke and they plan on keeping it that way.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 12:13:01 AM »

Oh, I understand that point but I assumed that you realized that the Cox campaign is just an unorganized joke and they plan on keeping it that way.

That was the whole point of my original post Smiley
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »

I misread "Sane" as "Same," so I waited for a payoff that was not there.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/642dsifq.asp
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »

He doesn't seem like an HP, it's just that he's reaching beyond the stars by running for President.
Ferdinand
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 09:42:08 PM »

While I am not a fan of Cox's type, I don't see a good reason to exclude him from the debates. Why not give the candidates, especially at this early, irrelevant stage of the election, the equal chance to speak to the people? If Mike Gravel and Ron Paul can appear in the debates, no reason why a self-financing guy like Cox shouldn't be included.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »

I think that he should be included in the debate, but if a private organization is doing it, then he should sue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies