Iowa in 1968?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:27:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Iowa in 1968?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa in 1968?  (Read 2095 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »

Why did Iowa go so so soildly Republican in 1968, I mean I figure Humphrey would have had some appeal here being from a neighboring state and having an idology that would have appealled in Iowa even  today? 
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »

My best guess is because the ultra left wing backed Humphrey and the protestors were mainly identified as being Democrats, while Iowa has historically been more conservative
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »

My best guess is because the ultra left wing backed Humphrey and the protestors were mainly identified as being Democrats, while Iowa has historically been more conservative

Problem with your theory... The left wing of the party didn't back Hubert. If you have any historical knowledge in you, you'll know that he was oft-heckled and attacked by his once liberal admirers for his support of Vietnam.

You're right in saying Iowa is traditionally more conservative that other states near it, but you're wrong in saying ultra liberals backed him. Although many fell in line at the end.

Humphrey said at one appearance "If there was peace in Vietnam, there wouldn't even be a contest in this election."

I'm inclined to agree. I give HHH a world of credit for the fight he put up, being underfunded, and caught in a tough spot over Vietnam. He just made his opposition too late. He was wrong to support the war and remain loyal to Johnson, but it was a choice he made... He still almost won the election.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:24 PM »

Problem with your theory... The left wing of the party didn't back Hubert. If you have any historical knowledge in you, you'll know that he was oft-heckled and attacked by his once liberal admirers for his support of Vietnam.

You're right in saying Iowa is traditionally more conservative that other states near it, but you're wrong in saying ultra liberals backed him. Although many fell in line at the end.

Humphrey said at one appearance "If there was peace in Vietnam, there wouldn't even be a contest in this election."

I'm inclined to agree. I give HHH a world of credit for the fight he put up, being underfunded, and caught in a tough spot over Vietnam. He just made his opposition too late. He was wrong to support the war and remain loyal to Johnson, but it was a choice he made... He still almost won the election.

Only about one in seven (I believe that's the correct number) of McCarthy supporters ended up voting for HHH.  (My research paper is on the 68 election, so I have all this odd, un-needed knowledge now).
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 04:51:12 PM »

Only about one in seven (I believe that's the correct number) of McCarthy supporters ended up voting for HHH.  (My research paper is on the 68 election, so I have all this odd, un-needed knowledge now).

Most voted for peace candidates like Dick Gregory... Most McCarthy supporters were younger voters who mostly didn't show up at all.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:08:33 PM »

Most voted for peace candidates like Dick Gregory... Most McCarthy supporters were younger voters who mostly didn't show up at all.

A significant number actually voted for Nixon, or even Wallace.  In the New Hampshire primary, about 40% of McCarthy's voters came from people who wanted to escalate the War in Vietnam.  Early on, McCarthy became the opposition candidate, and all opposition, without regard to ideology, wento to McCarthy.  These voters surprisingly continued to support him even into the summer, when they went to Wallace or Nixon.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 08:01:34 AM »

Maybe the fact that Iowa was still mostly Republican at that time? Nixon beat Hummphrey by about the same margin as he beat Kennedy 8 years earlier. If you look back (and except 1948) it's clearly a quite Republican state.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 12:12:12 PM »

I would love to see that paper actually. I've always thought the goings-on of the 1968 election would make a great Hollywood movie, but a movie that would have to pay painstaking detail to actual history.

LBJ is favorite for re-election, almost gets upset by an unknown in New Hampshire, RFK enters, LBJ drops from the race, Humphrey enters, MLK is assassinated, RFK's famous Indianapolis speech, RFK winning California primary and is assassinated minutes later, the implosion of the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, George Wallace's candidacy, the secret negotiations between the South Vietnamese government and Nixon, and the peace push in the final days.

Make a good movie, as long as it is historically accurate.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 03:38:10 PM »

I would love to see that paper actually. I've always thought the goings-on of the 1968 election would make a great Hollywood movie, but a movie that would have to pay painstaking detail to actual history.

LBJ is favorite for re-election, almost gets upset by an unknown in New Hampshire, RFK enters, LBJ drops from the race, Humphrey enters, MLK is assassinated, RFK's famous Indianapolis speech, RFK winning California primary and is assassinated minutes later, the implosion of the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, George Wallace's candidacy, the secret negotiations between the South Vietnamese government and Nixon, and the peace push in the final days.

Make a good movie, as long as it is historically accurate.

Wow that's a really good idea actually!  Copyright it now LOL! 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »

When I write I can send it to you.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »

When I write I can send it to you.

Well, given that part of my major covers screenwriting, let me know if you need help.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies