Most Dangerous state in the nation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:16:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most Dangerous state in the nation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most Dangerous state in the nation?  (Read 5945 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »

What is most likely the most dangerous and crime ridden State in the nation.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »

Almost certainly one of the Deep South states. Lots of broke black people.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:39 PM »

I don't think there's any one single state that is uniformly bad as far as crime goes.  Maybe New Jersey.

The better question is "most dangerous city in the nation".  From all I've heard, East St. Louis is far and away the winner there.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »

If they ever get around to making DC a state, I think the answer would be pretty obvious.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »

I don't think there's any one single state that is uniformly bad as far as crime goes.  Maybe New Jersey.

The better question is "most dangerous city in the nation".  From all I've heard, East St. Louis is far and away the winner there.

I would guess New Jersey too, Becuase most of the states major urban hubs and some of the outlaying areas too have been ranked as dangerous and crime ridden in one way or another especailly Camden and Newark. Also Maryland is pretty crime ridden too, There is alot of crime and violence in Baltimore along with Prince George's County and Howard County.   
Conan
conan

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:22:30 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2007, 09:27:32 PM by Conan »

Ha. New Jersey! The only unsafe place here is Camden. But I haven't really ever been there, only have seen it passing by train.

Newarks crime went way down under Sharpe James. I think it went up last year but Newark is an actually walkable place that is becoming "hip". A lot of development and revitilization projects are going on there.

My guess would be Louisiana. (I think I read something about MS too) Also, SoCal around Los Angeles.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:42:23 PM »

Funny story about this:
On 9/1/05, a few days after Katrina hit, my dad and I decided to look at the crime rates at a state-by-state level. We found it funny that right after DC, we found an LA in the almanac.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »

This data is a couple years old but Louisiana takes the cake for murder rates.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004912.html

For cities in 2005 its Compton California Huh (search me!!)
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934323.html
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 11:39:05 PM »

Ha. New Jersey! The only unsafe place here is Camden. But I haven't really ever been there, only have seen it passing by train.

Newarks crime went way down under Sharpe James. I think it went up last year but Newark is an actually walkable place that is becoming "hip". A lot of development and revitilization projects are going on there.

My guess would be Louisiana. (I think I read something about MS too) Also, SoCal around Los Angeles.

Camden's very bad, but its not as bad as it used to be...One can only speculate how bad *that* was.

New Jersey has Camden, a good deal of Trenton (trust me, I've had the unfortunate displeasure of getting lost...which shows how quickly you can go from good to bad...in any place), Paterson, parts of the inner metro NY hub...but otherwise, Jersey's fairly harmless.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 12:15:47 AM »

California, most of all for trying to turn Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Idaho into California.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 08:16:49 AM »

As if it isn't obvious, the most dangerous states would be those that have populations principly residing in cities with large minority populations. And yes, East St. Louis (crime index 2224.2) is far worse than St. Lous (1204.3), the figures are of 2005. Go to citydata.com and look for yourself...check out Camden (854.9) and all the others too. I think BTRD would just love east st. louis, if he could walk down the street without a knife in his back.

By the way, the concept of a dangerous state is misleading..since a massive geographic area could be quiet and crime free, only to be skewed by the cities that also exist in the state.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »

Camden's very bad, but its not as bad as it used to be...One can only speculate how bad *that* was.

New Jersey has Camden, a good deal of Trenton (trust me, I've had the unfortunate displeasure of getting lost...which shows how quickly you can go from good to bad...in any place), Paterson, parts of the inner metro NY hub...but otherwise, Jersey's fairly harmless.

I agree.  New Jersey gets a bad rap for a lot of things, but then again why do people want to move there and pay ridiculous taxes?  It could be they have some of the best schools in the country outside of Camden.  As much as people call it the "armpit of America", I'd take NJ over a lot of states.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 01:13:27 PM »

My friends and I actually went to Camden the other night because we wanted to hit all the bad neighborhoods in our area. Yeah, we're stupid. The city is very scary and looks like a war zone. It's obviously a dangerous place to be as well as Trenton, Newark and some other places further north but NJ on the whole isn't dangerous.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »

I thought Nevada had the highest crime rate.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

NJ, you kiddin me people?  We have Camden and Newark....and that's about it for the really bad areas, and they account for all of less than half a million of our population of 9 million.  Most of the suburbs have absolutely no violent  crime whatsoever (one "murder" of a resident in my area  in 13 years I can remember, and it happened in Philly).  Most of the South and West is far more dangerous than Jersey. 
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 05:24:15 PM »

Does anyone know if there is a site with crime rates by county?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »

This data is a couple years old but Louisiana takes the cake for murder rates.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004912.html

Good site, David S. Anyone know why Alaska's rape rate is so high?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »

Violent crime per 100k

1. SC 761.1
2. TN 752.8
3. FL 708.0
4. MD 703.0
5. NM 702.2

46. SD 175.7
47. NH 132.0
48. VT 119.7
49. ME 112.2
50. ND 98.2

http://www.morganquitno.com/CR07sam2.pdf

Interestingly, there are no Republican Congressmen from the bottom 5 states.
Conan
conan

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 05:42:42 PM »

I personally don't.

I would imagine the most dangerous county in the US is probably Wayne, Michigan, or some New Jersey county.
Look who's talking St. Louis. If New Jersey is so bad, why do its people pay top dollar to live, work, and raise their families here.
Conan
conan

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »

I personally don't.

I would imagine the most dangerous county in the US is probably Wayne, Michigan, or some New Jersey county.
Look who's talking St. Louis. If New Jersey is so bad, why do its people pay top dollar to live, work, and raise their families here.

Conan,

I think I said to you before that I like New Jersey, it seems pretty neat, but its awfully densely populated for me... I know you didn't just say it, but I think you think I tried to bash NJ, no I wasn't trying to.

Yes, I know St Louis is currently the most dangerous city, and yes I have gotten held up and threatened with a gun once... but I think the crime rate will start to go down slowly..
I am just very defensive. Besides I believe last year, Camden had St. Louis's spot.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »

With Virginia there is alot of gang violence and various activity in NOVA, Especially in towards Fairfax, Falls Church,and Alexanderia and in Arlington to some degree. Also Richmond is known to be rife with crime both in and around it, and rural Virginia is struggling with alot of drug problems.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »

I personally don't.

Camden County also contains some extremely classy suburbs (Cherry Hill), so it probably wouldn't be one of the top few. None of the other counties are bad.

I would guess St. Clair Co., Illinois, East St. Louis (again).
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »

The most unconventionally dangerous state, in my opinion, would probably be Alaska. Your chances of getting mauled by wildlife are exponentially higher there than anywhere. That, and getting lost in nature in the freezing cold.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 12:59:41 AM »

The most unconventionally dangerous state, in my opinion, would probably be Alaska. Your chances of getting mauled by wildlife are exponentially higher there than anywhere. That, and getting lost in nature in the freezing cold.

I'd have to go with this diagnosis:  States in the Deep South with bigger cities have the highest violent crime.  Rural, homogeneous states have lower rates.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 03:51:33 AM »

And raped.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies