A Domestic Storm: 1992 Alternative Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:06:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Domestic Storm: 1992 Alternative Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: A Domestic Storm: 1992 Alternative Timeline  (Read 18962 times)
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »

Again, great chapter.  Keep it up!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »

Very good, continue. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »

I like this a lot.

But whatever happened to poor old chapter six?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 03:48:21 AM »

Episode Nine: Win California

The Governor of California had never had a reputation as a very exciting figure.  He had been born in Illinois, graduated from Yale, served as a US Marine, and came to California in his twenties to study law at UC Berkeley.  He got his start in politics at age 29 as a campaign worker for Richard M. Nixon.  He accumulated an impressive resume, as a state legislator, Mayor of a booming city, a US Senator, and Governor of the nation's largest state.  But it was not his biography, his resume, or his charisma (or lack thereof) that had brought him here to Samuel Skinner's office for a meeting with Skinner and James Baker.  No, the most appealing thing about Peter Barton Wilson was the 54 electoral votes he would deliver at the bottom of a Presidential ticket.

He did not know this was the reason for the meeting.  He had been told the meeting was a follow up on the Los Angeles Riots.

"I'm surprised to see you here, Jim.  I wouldn't think you'd have much interest in a domestic policy meeting right now." The Governor said.

"Right now, Governor, policy is politics." Baker coyly responded.

"Congratulations on beating Perot, by the way.  The President really took it to him in the debate, you should be very proud of your guy." The Governor congratulated Skinner and Baker.

"Perot went from polling in the mid teens to low twenties to polling in the single digits since the Larry King debate.  He's been exposed for what he is." Replied Baker.  "In our latest tracking poll, we're at 46, Clinton is at 40, and Perot is at 6."

"It looks like you're in a pretty good position to win this election."

"Yes, but we're not quite there yet.  Our head to head puts us six points up, but our job approval number is still below 50%.  Job approval is the number that tells us how many Americans are inclined to vote to re-elect us, and until it's over 50%, we're don't feel safe.  That means we feel like we still have a lot of work to do to ensure a win in November." Explained Baker.

"You're job approval is at 52%, by the way." Said Skinner.

"Where was I over 50%?  Is there a new Field Poll?" Asked Wilson, who was obviously surprised by the fact that there was a poll showing him at 52%.

"That was our poll.  We put a poll in the field in California." Said Baker.

"Boy, you guys must be desperate for some good news if you're doing polls on me." Wilson said wryly.  Baker and Skinner just smiled ever so slightly, not responding.  For a moment, the room was quiet.  "The campaign manager is here and you polled on me before you invited me to the White House.  I'm not here to talk about the riots am I?"

"No, Governor."  Said Baker.

"I'm here because you want to win California." Said Wilson.

"You're here because we are going to win California." Said Baker.  "If we did this, we would not make the announcement until six weeks from now, we'll do it right before the convention so as to not alert Dan Quayle to his being dropped until we absolutely have to reveal it."

"So, if you're President asks, you'll serve?" Asked Skinner.

"Of course." Said Wilson.

"Okay, then.  Let's go tell him that."
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »

This is very good, Written by Aaron Sorkin. I can't wait until election night. Is there a chance George H.W. Bush will win in 1992 over Clinton and Perot?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »

This is very good, Written by Aaron Sorkin. I can't wait until election night. Is there a chance George H.W. Bush will win in 1992 over Clinton and Perot?

Unlike the real West Wing I'm not going to reveal the winner of the election beforehand. Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »

Clearly heavily inspired by The West Wing in both style and substance. Nonetheless, even beyond those points which are clearly inspired from the show, your writing is very good. Well done.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 04:38:00 AM »

Finishing up a new episode.  I'm moving soon and I've recently spent a lot of time finding a new place to live.  I got myself a full ride to law school and I have to move over one county for that.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 05:27:17 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2007, 03:33:09 AM by Written by Aaron Sorkin »

Episode Ten: The Ticket

The entire white house press corps was in disarray.  Some were on the phone with sources, some were tracking down senior staff looking for quotes, and some were being interviewed by the network anchors who had interrupted normal daytime programming to cover the biggest story of the campaign so far.

Brit Hume was one of the reporters who was on air with his network anchor.  "Peter, we have heard that Dan Quayle has been dropped from the ticket and that Pete Wilson will be nominated for Vice President in Houston next week."

Peter Jennings was anchoring the special broadcast from ABC studios in New York.  "Brit, ever since the Democratic convention in New York last week, this race has been a dead heat.  The Governor got a nine point bump from that convention and our latest poll shows the race a statistical tie with Governor Clinton having 46% of the vote, President Bush having 45%, and Mr. Perot at 5%.  Is this move being made out of a sense of desperation at the tightness of this race?"

"Peter, there's no doubt that this is a play to win California and the President wouldn't have done this unless he thought he needed to do it in order to win.  But, everyone I've talked to has told me that this move has been in the works for several weeks and is not a response to Governor Clinton's sudden bump in the polls."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Secretary, Mr. Kristol is here to see you.”

Baker was reading when his secretary came into his office.  “That figures.  On a scale of one to ten how mad does he look to you?”

“About a 53.”

“If you said I had gone out for a beer he probably wouldn’t believe me, so I guess just send him in.”

Kristol stormed into Baker’s office.  “You son of a bitch, how can you do this!  You give the Vice President no warning at all that you intend to replace him on the ticket!  The level of arrogance you demonstrate, stabbing this guy who has done nothing but campaign for your pal…”

“I suggest you refer to him as ‘President Bush’ instead of as ‘my pal’.”  Baker stood and stared nose to nose with an irate Bill Kristol.  Baker’s assistant shut the door behind them, knowing roughly what was about to transpire.

“Then he should act like he’s the President of the United States.”

“Listen, Bill, I know you don’t want to hear this, but it’s the truth.  Your pal is here for one reason and one reason only, because we wanted a baby boomer to deliver younger voters.  Instead he proved to be a liability.  And you, kid, are only here because some people in this building have a lot of respect for your daddy.”

“And you’re only here because you used to be George Bush’s tennis partner.”

“Screw you and your New York sense of humor.”

“Excuse me?  I hope you didn’t mean what it sounds like you mean.”

“You heard me.  We’re done here.”

“No, we’re not done.  We will make you pay for this.”  Kristol began charging out of the room.

“How are you gonna make me pay?  You gonna charge me interest on something?”

Kristol stopped before exiting, deeply stung by the remark.  He knew there was nothing worth saying, and he walked out the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, with the press gathered in the Rose Garden, the President, the Governor, and the senior staff were in Oval.  Outside, the press waited for the Governor and the President to announce themselves officially as the new Republican ticket.

“Are you ready?” The President asked.

“Yes, sir.” Responded the Governor.

“Glad to hear it.  Before we got out there, I want to take this opportunity to thank Mike Deaver, without whom we wouldn’t be here.  He seemed to be the one guy who knew how much trouble this campaign was in four months ago, and he’s the reason we’re still in it.  I also want to thank Sam Skinner and Bob Teeter and Jim Baker for bringing me along with your plan.  When I think of how much you’ve done, all of you in this room, to try and get me re-elected, to get me to do the things I needed to do…” The President paused, “…it occurs to me I’ve never said thank you.  Well, now I’m saying it.  Thank you.  Governor, do you have anything you’d like to say to these guys?”

“Yeah.  Let’s go win this thing.”

“What do I do now?” Quayle asked.

His Chief of Staff was in the Naval Observatory with him as he watched what could be the end of his career.

“We do the only thing we can do.  We’re getting you back on the ticket.”

“I think the only person who can put me on the ticket just decided not to.”

“There is another way on the ticket.”

“What way is that?”

“I need contact information for every single convention delegate.  We’ve got some calls to make.”
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »

gporter, Quayles staff isn't going to change who the VP is, judging how the ending of the last post was, he'll either run as a third party, or try knock Bush off in a primary.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007, 03:35:27 AM »

The delegates at the convention have to approve the choices, and Wilson has some...liabilities...that would politically put him at odds with typical Republican delegates.

Incidentally, you nailed Kristol's personality...but why the insinuations of Baker's anti-Semitism...any rumors there that I'm missing?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 04:02:44 PM »

The delegates at the convention have to approve the choices, and Wilson has some...liabilities...that would politically put him at odds with typical Republican delegates.

Incidentally, you nailed Kristol's personality...but why the insinuations of Baker's anti-Semitism...any rumors there that I'm missing?

There have been insinuations of, if not anti-semitism, then at least insensitivity.  Most famous is hi9s, "F--- the Jews, they didn't vote for us." quote, which has been attributed to him.

New update soon.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2007, 12:12:20 AM »

Keep up the good work Written by Aaron Sorkin. You'd really think it is written by Sorkin!

I know you probably won't tell us about the Conventions, however there's a question I'd like to ask: Will Pat Buchanan make the keynote address at the GOP Convention in Houston? And will Pat Robertson make that speech stating, that woman leave thier husbands and practice witchery and become lesbians?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2007, 03:44:41 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2007, 04:29:04 PM by Written by Aaron Sorkin »

Episode Eleven: Deadlock Part I

"We begin our coverage of the Republican Convention here in Houston, Texas and for the first time in thirty years there is something actually in doubt about a political convention." Tim Russert was co-hosting the Today Show on Monday, August 17th.  "We honestly do not know who the Republicans will nominate for Vice President, and we expect a floor fight between conservatives and moderates, between the establishment and the grass roots."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan Quayle was spending the morning on the phone with delegates in the conference room of the Houston Marriott.  "Yes, as you know, Days of Thunder is my favorite movie." He pauses while the other line speaks.  "The official song of Florida?  I don't know.  Hello?  Hello?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Governor Wilson was doing the same in his hotel room on the top floor of the Hilton.  "I assure you, I will do everything in my power to advance the interests of conservatives in this country."  The other line speaks.  "I only raised taxes as part of a compromise package and in return I got actual spending cuts from the legislature, not cuts in the rate of growth but actual cuts."  The other line speaks.  "Pennsylvania's state bird?"  He covers the phone with one hand and snaps his fingers at an aide with the other.  "A perfectly good question and one I actually know the answer to."  As Wilson buys some time the aide digs through a stack of papers, then looks at Wilson and whispers "Ruffed Grouse".  "The Ruffed Grouse is the state bird of Pennsylvania."  The other line speaks.  Wilson pumps his fist, "You will not regret that.  I thank you, sir."
Back in Quayles headquarters, such as it was, Russert was n TV in the background as William Kristol laid out the state of affairs for the campaign.  "We can't win without North Carolina and Tennessee.  I think we need Florida, too.  All those states delegations are still undecided.  Wilson has the northeast locked up, and the three biggest delegations here are all in his camp - California, Texas, and New York.  We have most of the south and the plains states.  It's 1,023 votes to win this thing."

"How many do we have?" Asked a staffer.

"Six hundred-eighty six.  So find a phone and start calling people."

Quayle and Kristol stepped out of the conference room to deliberate away from the staffers.

"What are our chances right now?" Asked the Vice President.

"Not good.  We're going to have to pick up two thirds of the undecided delegates, and since we're on the outside looking in, only the other guy can start offering favors."

"What kind of favors?"

"Federal jobs, defense contracts, nights in the Lincoln Bedroom."

"When is the first ballot?"

"Buchanan gets to give the first speech of the convention, then we vote on the first ballot.  I've been pushing for an endorsement in his speech.  He had a lot of sway with the activists who make up the bulk of delegates, if he does endorse us over Wilson we can win, if not, I don't think we can win a one on one race against Wilson when the White House is pushing for Wilson."
As Patrick Buchanan took the stage, there was anxiousness in the Quayle box.  Elevated above the convention, the Vice President and his Chief of Staff, William Kristol, were transfixed on the stage.  In the President's box, George Bush looked down on his vanquished opponent with contempt.  Seated next to him were Michael Deaver and Jim Baker.  Also in their box were Governor Wilson and the First Lady.

Buchanan was welcomed by raucous applause.  He had not submitted his remarks before giving his speech, and no one knew what he was going to say.  "Well, we took the long way home, but we finally got here.  And I want to congratulate President Bush, and remove any doubt about where we stand: The primaries are over, the heart is strong again, and the Buchanan brigades are enlisted--all the way to a great comeback victory in November.  Like many of you last month, I watched that giant masquerade ball at Madison Square Garden--where 20,000 radicals and liberals came dressed up as moderates and centrists--in the greatest single exhibition of cross-dressing in American political history."

"Dammit."  Quayle muttered.  "If he's endorsing Bush, he'll endorse Wilson."

Buchanan was getting revved up.  "My friends, this election is about much more than who gets what. It is about who we are. It is about what we believe. It is about what we stand for as Americans. There is a religious war going on in our country for the soul of America. It is a cultural war, as critical to the kind of nation we will one day be as was the Cold War itself. And in that struggle for the soul of America, Clinton & Clinton are on the other side, and George Bush is on our side. And so, we have to come home, and stand beside him."

Back in Bush's box, the President enjoyed hearing Buchanan endorse him.

Buchanan continued, telling a story of the people he met while campaigning, "…the saddest days were the days of the bloody riot in LA, the worst in our history.  But even out of that awful tragedy can come a message of hope.  Hours after the violence ended I visited the Army compound in south LA, where an officer of the 18th Cavalry, that had come to rescue the city, introduced me to two of his troopers.  They could not have been 20 years old. He told them to recount their story."

James Baker put his arms in the air and smiled, as if celebrating a touchdown, "He's talking about the riots.  This is his segue to endorse Wilson."

" They had come into LA late on the 2nd day, and they walked up a dark street, where the mob had looted and burned every building but one, a convalescent home for the aged.  The mob was heading in, to ransack and loot the apartments of the terrified old men and women.  When the troopers arrived, M-16s at the ready, the mob threatened and cursed, but the mob retreated. It had met the one thing that could stop it: force, rooted in justice, backed by courage." Buchanan continued.

"Greater love than this hath no man than that he lay down his life for his friend. Here were 19-year-old boys ready to lay down their lives to stop a mob from molesting old people they did not even know. And as they took back the streets of LA, block by block, so we must take back our cities, and take back our culture, and take back our country."  The applause was loud, and filled the arena.  "My friends, I have been asked by some to take this opportunity to endorse one of the two candidates for Vice President that have submitted their names for the post."

"No it's not." Said Deaver.  "This isn't an endorsement."

"What is it, then?" Baker asked in an acidic tone.

"Mr. President, no matter Pat Buchanan says next, do not act surprised."

"Why not?"  Asked Bush.

"Because if he does what I think he's going to do, every camera in the building is going straight to you." Said Deaver.

Buchanan reached his finale, "I cannot in good conscience endorse a man whose intellect is so lacking as Mr. Quayle's, and I cannot endorse a tax hiker who supports abortion.  Neither of these men has what it takes to be the heir apparent to the Presidency, neither has what it takes to be the next Ronald Reagan or for that matter the next George Bush.  As I see neither of these men truly fit to lead, I feel I have no choice but announce my candidacy for the Vice Presidency of the United States!"

Many delegates cheered, and cheered loudly.

The networks did indeed turn their cameras to the President's box.  Despite Mr. Deaver's best efforts to warn him, Mr. Bush did look very surprised indeed.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 11:52:35 PM »

Fantastic work, please keep it up.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 02:24:30 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2007, 04:35:06 PM by Written by Aaron Sorkin »

Episode Twelve: Deadlock Part II

"Texas will stick with us through the first ballot, but they're going shopping in the next round." Reported Deaver.  Governor Wilson was working the phones along with the staffers for the Bush campaign.  President Bush was with Sam Skinner in his suite planning what to do if Wilson did not prevail in the upcoming floor vote.

"We lost Pennsylvania." Bob Teeter yelled from across the makeshift war room in what was normally the locker room for the visiting team in the Houston Astrodome.

"How did we lose Pennsylvania?" Demanded Wilson.

"Conservative delegates were able to outvote moderates to push the state to Buchanan.  Pennsylvania's gone, so are Oklahoma and Virginia."

"What about undecided delegations?"

"North Carolina and Tennessee both went to Buchanan.  So did Louisiana.  I think Buchanan is going to have more delegates than Quayle by the end of the first ballot, and we're not going to get close to 1,023."
Quayle and Kristol were working feverishly to rally votes as the roll call began on the floor.  "We need Florida.  They were undecided until Buchanan announced and now they're leaning his way." Kristol said.  "I need to talk to the head of the delegation now."

The PA announced the results as delegates cast their ballots and the roll call of states went alphabetically.

The state of Alabama casts its 44 delegates for Patrick J. Buchanan!

"Wilson has the northeast locked up, Buchanan's picking up steam down south… we have to hang on to Michigan and Ohio or we won't even be on the second ballot." Mutterred Kristol.  "I need to get Governor Engler on the phone with the Vice President.  Right now.  Somebody find him and get him."

The state or Alaska casts its 20 delegates to Patrick J. Buchanan!

Quayle looked out the window of the VP's box at the convention floor, watching one after another the conservative delegations he needed slip to Patrick Buchanan, distress overcoming him.

The state of Arkansas casts its 24 votes for Patrick J. Buchanan!

"Get me Florida!"
On the Convention Floor, delegations continued to vote even as they were being lobbied by phone.

The south stayed with Buchanan.  Most of the plains stayed with Quayle.  California, Texas, and New York were with Wilson.  Florida went to Buchanan.  The Industrial states were split between the Governor and the Vice President.

In the bellows of the stadium, James Baker met with the three candidates for Vice President.

"We're gonna be deadlocked on the first ballot.  No one is going to get to 1,023.  One night of this is entertaining, its great TV.  But if we're still sitting here tomorrow night without a nominee, we're gonna look like idiots."

Quayle interjected, "I want a chance to address the delegates.  One of us has had a chance to do that, but not all of us."

"You'll address the delegates, each of you, tomorrow night.  We're canceling the regular speeches to put you up there in prime time.  You each get 20 minutes, and if you go over your time I'm cutting you off.  You get 20 minutes, not 21 or 20 and a half, you get 20 minutes and I don't care if I have to personally cut your microphone wire to get you off stage.  Draw straws to see who goes first."

Baker pulled out three straws.  Wilson would speak first, Quayle second, and Buchanan third.

In the background, "The state of Wyoming casts its 22 delegates for Vice President Dan Quayle.  Governor Wilson has 838 delegates, Mr. Buchanan has 634 delegates, and Vice President Quayle has 573 delegates.  Mr. Chairman, we do not have a nominee."

"Somebody better talk to somebody before 6pm tomorrow night." Said Baker.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »

Outstanding!!!
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »

J.J. is right - Outstanding indeed!

Probably one of the best one's I've seen in a long while.

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2007, 09:28:40 PM »

The last episode really reminded me of the end of Season Six. Smiley
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »

::applauds::
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2007, 03:52:28 AM »

I am writing the conclusion to the convention on Saturday.  Sorry for the delay, this has been a very busy week, and I know its been a while since the last update.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2007, 01:27:06 AM »

I am writing the conclusion to the convention on Saturday.  Sorry for the delay, this has been a very busy week, and I know its been a while since the last update.

That's okay. As long as the story's good, I don't care how long until the next update is. It's a magnificant TL.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2007, 10:30:42 PM »

Episode Thirteen: Deadlock Part III

The Vice President's limo was driving from the convention center to his hotel.  Quayle and Kristol were alone in the back.

"I think I should consider withdrawing."  Said Quayle.

"I think you shouldn't." Responded his confidante.  "The convention won't nominate Pete Wilson.  With each ballot that goes by, his hand grows weaker.  If he couldn't get nominated on the first ballot, he can't get nominated at all."

"So we want Buchanan to be the VP?  I don't see how that makes sense for us."

"The delegates will turn to you once they realize their other choices are a poison pill for the ticket or a poison pill for the base of the party."

"Pat Buchanan managed to get almost seven hundred delegates within hours of announcing his intentions.  He is a very compelling choice.  He has more appeal to these delegates than you think."

"He didn't do all that in a few hours.  I guarantee you he had a lot of delegates locked up which is why so many delegations stayed undecided all week and then flipped as soon as Buchanan announced."

The limo pulled into the ellipse at the Vice President's hotel.

"Stay in."  Said Kristol.

"Alright." Said Quayle.

It was 2am, and Mike Deaver and Bob Teeter were looking out of the President's now empty box at the now also empty convention floor.

"I'm meeting with the heads of the Michigan and Ohio delegations tomorrow." Said Teeter.

"You mean you're meeting with them today?" Responded Deaver.

Teeter looked at his watch. "Oh, Jeez, yeah, today I mean.  In the afternoon I've got Florida and Pennsylvania."

"Good luck with that."

"You don't sound optimistic."

"I'm not."  Said Deaver.

"We aren't voting for your guy.  I don't care how many meetings we have, we can't do it."  Said the head of the Michigan delegation.

"If you don't vote for Wilson we're stuck with either tweedledumb or tweedlecrazy."

"That's you're problem not ours." Said Ohio.

"Of course its your problem because we can't win this election if we have an anchor at the bottom of the ticket we have to drag around for three months!" Teeter protested.

"What I mean is that we didn't decide to pick Dan Quayle four years ago and we didn't decide to pick Pete Wilson this time.  You got yourselves into this mess by elevating someone who is unqualified last time and switching to someone who is disqualified this time."

"You don't give us Wilson and we lose.  That's it.  That's the bottom line."

"We're not voting for a pro-choice VP.  That's our bottom line." Michigan Retorted.

"How do you think Bill Clinton's Supreme Court is going to look on life issues?  Why isn't that even part of the equation?"

"Apparently it will look a lot like Pete Wilson's Supreme Court." Quipped Ohio.

Teeter, the President, and Governor Wilson were huddled with Jim Baker and Mike Deaver discussing delegate counts.  In the background, Pat Buchanan was delivering his speech to the delegates.  The sun had just set and the sky seen through the windows was a deep purple, the purple you get in Texas at about 8pm in August when the sun is out of view and its light hits the sky but not the Earth itself.

"The meeting with Florida and Pennsylvania didn't go any better than the one with Michigan and Ohio.  That leaves us 184 delegates shy of what we need."

"What effect did my speech tonight have on the delegates?" Asked Wilson.

"It was well received, but we have no idea if it will change any minds."

"We won't beat Clinton and Clinton by abandoning our principles!" Blared Buchanan on the television.  "We can only do it by embracing our principles, something Mr. Wilson is unwilling to do and something Mr. Quayle is unable to articulate!"

"Man, I hate that guy." Muttered the President.

"You may have to warm up to him because he's a stiff breeze away from being your running mate." Said Deaver.

As Buchanan was wrapping up his speech, Dan Quayle was waiting in the bowels of the Astrodome.

"What's the delegate count?" He asked.

"We're having trouble hanging on to Mississippi and Kentucky right now.  We haven't picked up anyone today." Said Kristol.  "It looks like you were right about Buchanan, I was underestimating him.  Mr. Vice President, if you don't knock this speech out of the park, I don't see how we can win this nomination."

"Bill, pull the speech we wrote off the prompter, I'm just going to go and talk for a little bit."

Kristol was a little shocked.  "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, trust me."  Said Quayle.

"Alright, Mr. Vice President.  We'll pull it."

Quayle and Kristol could hear the crowd chanting, "Go Pat, Go!" as Buchanan wrapped his address.

"My fellow Republicans, I ask you to join the Buchanan Brigades for one last charge, I ask you to make me the next Vice President of the United States!  Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!"

Buchanan walked off the stage and right past Quayle.  He smirked a bit, feeling as though he had just closed the deal with the delegates.  Quayle turned to Bill Kristol and extended his right hand.  "Shake my hand."

Kristol did so.

"Thank you." Said Quayle, and the handshake ended.

"For what?" Asked Kristol as Quayle turned to walk on stage.

As Dan Quayle walked into the bright white lights that lit the stage, he replied, "For everything."  As Quayle walked on stage, Kristol could see only his silhouette.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2007, 10:31:20 PM »

Episode Fourteen: Deadlock Part IV

The President and his staff were gathered in his box to watch the final speech to be given by the candidates for Vice President.

"That was a great speech."  Said Teeter, referring to Buchanan's address.

"We'll hold on the second ballot, but after Quayle comes in third place again, his delegates will abandon him and go to Buchanan." Said Deaver.  "It's over."

"Unless the Vice President gives the greatest speech in the history of American politics." Said Teeter.

"Yeah, its over." Said Deaver.

J. Danforth Quayle took the podium knowing that the odds of being re-nominated were prohibitively long.  So he did the only thing he could do.

"I have been given twenty minutes to speak to you tonight and tell you why I should be re-nominated as Vice President.  I assure you that to say what I have to say will not take anywhere near that time.  Four years ago, in the Vice Presidential debates, Senator Bentsen informed me that I was no Jack Kennedy.  Well, he was right.  I have never had President Kennedy's talent for the grand, soaring address.  I have never had his charisma.  I have never had the kind of intangible quality that he had.  You can't learn to have these things.  But as a young kid growing up during those years, I did learn one thing from Jack Kennedy.

"I learned to ask not what your country can do for you, but to ask what you can do for your country.  I have spent this entire convention asking what my country can do for me.  I have asked you, my fellow Americans, to re-nominate me for the Vice Presidency.  Since it is clear I am not likely to get my wish, it is time for me to stop asking what my country can do for me and instead ask what I can do for you all.

"What I can do is step aside and give my endorsement to Governor Wilson."

Those delegations still loyal to Quayle let out a groan.

Those delegations loyal to Wilson cheered.

In the President's box, relief and joy set in, and it was hugs all around.

"My fellow Americans, my fellow conservatives, we need a party that is united behind its ticket.  We need a party that is a big tent and accepts differing points of view, even sometimes on issues that stir deep emotions.  We need build a party that includes all Americans so we can build an country that serves all Americans.  I believe that President Bush and Governor Wilson are the right men for that job, and I endorse both of them fully."

The crowd cheered, out of respect for a man who fell on his sword.  The Vice President exited stage right.

As the delegate roll call took place late on night two, Michael Deaver found William Kristol backstage.  "Did you write that speech?" Asked Deaver.

Kristol turned and saw Deaver behind him.  "No, he just went up there and spoke from the heart."

The state of Utah casts its 29 delegates to Governor Pete Wilson!  Blared the PA.

"He's a good man." Said Deaver.

"I know." Said Kristol.

The state of Wisconsin casts its 37 delegates for Governor Pete Wilson!

"The Bush-Wilson campaign could always use a few good men.  We'd love to have you on board."

"I don't think so.  I'm done for a little while.  I'm going to go get my first good sleep in about four years."

The state of Wyoming casts its 22 delegates for Governor Pete Wilson!

"You've run a fabulous campaign, Mike.  You've turned around a sinking ship and drawn even in a race you have no business winning.  Congratulations, and I wish I could join you but I have to recharge my batteries and the VP needs me to finish out his term.  It's a loyalty issue.  After what he just did for the party, I don't see how I can just walk out the front door and leave nothing but a get well card."

"I understand, Bill."

With 1,378 delegates, Governor Pete Wilson of California has been nominated for Vice President of the United States!

As the official announcement was made, Governor Wilson and President Bush stood waiting in the wings to appear on stage together.

It is now my honor to present to you the President of the United States and the next Vice President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush and Peter Barton Wilson!

The President turned to Wilson and said, "Okay.  Let's go win this thing."  Then, the two men walked on stage to loud cheers as confetti fell from the rafters.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »

The last two parts of the convention are now posted above.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies