A Domestic Storm: 1992 Alternative Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Domestic Storm: 1992 Alternative Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: A Domestic Storm: 1992 Alternative Timeline  (Read 18911 times)
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2007, 12:59:17 AM »

Well written!  I was hoping that Quayle would knock the ball out of the park, but an excellent episode nonetheless.  Keep it up!
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2007, 04:24:44 PM »

Bummer for the man I voted for in the 2000 election.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 02:18:08 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2007, 01:12:35 PM by Written by Aaron Sorkin »

Episode Fifteen: 20 Hours in Illinois

“This is a time for leaders who’ve been there and done that, this is a time for those who know the road ahead of us because they built the road that’s behind us.  This is a time for steady hands, not slick deliveries.  This is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars!”

The convention erupted in cheers, as the President concluded his remarks and the balloons dropped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One week later, the President was getting the news that the convention hadn’t gone over well and he was getting it aboard Air Force One on the way to Illinois.

“CBS has us down seven and Time has us down five.” Said Tony Snow.

“Why do they have us down so many more than Gallup and our internals?” Asked the President.

“Gallup is polling likely voters, that’s why they only have us down one and we only poll likely voters which is why we show a tie.  And the Electoral College is more favorable to us than the popular vote.  We've sent Governor Wilson to California and his job for August and September is to make sure he shakes hands with every single person in his state and reminds them why they need to support their favorite son."

“This thing is going to be close down to the wire, isn’t it?”

“Wait for the debates.”

“Yeah.  I have to review the speech to be sure I’m ready to go when we land.”

“Thank you, Mr. President.”

Tony Snow went into Air Force One’s main conference room and found Bob Teeter drinking a glass of water.  “Why did you tell him to wait for the debates?” Asked Teeter.

“Because I think the debates will tip the race.  He crushed Perot, he’ll beat Clinton.”

“It’s not going to be like the debate with Perot.  We debated Perot with essentially no ground rules on Larry King Live.  It was a forum where we could engage Perot directly and expose the inadequacy of his folksy soundbites, we could ask follow up question and he had no answers for them.  We won’t be able to do that in the joint press conference format we’ll debate Clinton under, and even if we could engage him and ask him pointed follow up question this guy is not Ross Perot and he’s not going to fold when pressed.  This guy is very smart and very quick and he’s going to have a tight 30 second response to every single question and rebuttal.”

“You don’t think we’re going to win the debates?” Asked Snow.

“I think they’ll be a draw.  I don’t think anyone will get a bump from the debates, which means we have to find some other way to win this election.  We have three percent undecided, and we pretty much need all of them to break our way, and we can’t count on the debates.” Said Teeter.

“And we only have twelve weeks.” Said Snow.

“Yeah.”

The pilot spoke over the intercom, ”We are now beginning our descent, everyone need to take their seats and put your seatbelts on.  We’ll be landing in approximately 20 minutes.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The President was wrapping up his stump speech to a crowd in an Illinois farm field.  “This is a time for people who’ve been there and done that, this is a time for those who know the road ahead of us because they built the road that’s behind us.  This is a time for steady hands, not slick deliveries.  This is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars!”

While the medium sized crowd cheered, Teeter and Snow were watching from a distance.

“This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars.” Said Teeter.  “You took that from Camelot, right?  This is the time of King Arthur when we shall reach for the stars.”

“I took it from Peggy Noonan.  She suggested I end the speech with that.”

“Then Peggy stole it from Camelot.” Said Teeter.

“Good writers borrow from other writers, great writers steal outright.” Replied Tony.

“Then Peggy must be a pretty great writer.”

Tony Snow did not respond.  Teeter was in a mood.

“This is a time for steady hands not slick deliveries.  That was in the convention speech, too, right?”  Asked Teeter.

“Yes.”

“We’ve got twelve weeks to break a tie, we’re not going to do it by telling people our opponent has too much charisma.”

“We’re not telling people our opponent has too much charisma we’re telling people not to be fooled by his charisma.  We’re telling them there’s a difference between style and substance.”

“You can ask the guys who ran the Nixon/Lodge campaign whether people choose substance over style.” Retorted Teeter.

“You don’t have a lot of confidence in the voters, do you?”

“Not during election years, no.”

Six hours later in a high school basketball gym, the Republican candidate for Senate in Illinois, Richard Williamson, was speaking.  The President was standing with him onstage.  The campaign was here to boost Williamson’s numbers in his race with Carol Moseley Braun.  Bob Teeter thought the stop was a waste of time.  He and Snow continued their argument about the way the campaign was going.

"Those who know the road ahead because they built the road behind?" Complained Teeter.  "Did someone change our campaign slogan to 'Vote for Bush 'cuz you owe him one'? and not tell me?"

Tony Snow didn't say anything.

"And what the hell are we doing in Illinois?"  Teeter continued.

"We're trying to get some votes." Replied Snow.

"Illinois is voting for Clinton.  Illinois is voting Clinton for President, we already lost Illinois."

"We're here to support our Senate candidate."

"Our Senate candidate is down 12 points.  Carol Moseley Braun is going to be the next Senator from Illinois.  If there were someone even less qualified than Carol Moseley Braun on the ballot, that's who Illinois' next Senator would be."

Six hours after that, everyone was back on board Air Force One.

The argument was not over.

“We should have talked about Somalia.” Said Snow.

“No one wants to hear about Somalia.” Said Teeter.

“That’s why they need to.  The next President will be putting troops in Somalia.  The next President will be putting troops in Bosnia.  The next President may have to put troops in Haiti.  You don’t think voters need to know that one candidate for President has more experience in foreign affairs than anyone since Eisenhower and the other was a Governor of a state with eight people in it.” Argued Snow.

“I think they need to know it and I think they already do know it.  I also think they’ve decided they don’t care that much.  Some guy who just lost his job doesn’t care that much about Bosnia.  Domestic Storm, that’s the message.  More cops on the street, more job training, tax reform, and infrastructure.  Domestic Storm is the agenda.”  Said Teeter.

“Domestic Storm was the core of the convention speech.” Said Snow.

“And it’s been nowhere since then.” Said Teeter.  “The Convention was a disaster.  We need to be focused and on message.  We can’t afford to turn the President into the old guy who yells at the kids to get off his lawn and he can’t run around the country telling people they owe it to him to re-elect him.  This election has to be about where we’re taking the country, and you have to get on board with the plan.  Your script has to fit our script, understand?”

“Okay.  Stick to the playbook, no audibles.”

“This election is a tie game.” Said Teeter, “We’ve got 12 weeks to break that tie.  We can’t afford to waste any of them.”
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

"Good writers borrow from other writers, great writers steal outright."

“Good writers borrow from other writers, great writers steal outright.”

Grin

I'm still waiting for other key quotes/phrases though - some of my favourites...
  • The President, while riding a bicycle on his vacation in Jackson Hole, came to a sudden arboreal stop.
  • Victory is mine, victory is mine, great day in the morning people, victory is mine. I drink from the keg of glory, Donna, bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.
  • And I see we're spelling 'hallowed' with a pound sign in the middle.
  • Are you telling me that not only did you invent a secret plan to fight inflation, but now you don't support it?
  • I have to get back to work. And you, being a Congresswoman... I'm sure you need to be back out there... you know, screwing the people.
And, of course,
  • Andrew Jackson, in the main foyer of his White House had a big block of cheese.

Oh, I could go on all day...
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 03:04:20 AM »

This is brilliant.  Great episode, I loved it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007, 01:14:59 PM »

One of the men in this, Michael Deaver, died today.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2007, 03:27:13 AM »

Episode Sixteen: Tropical Storm

This episode is dedicated to the memory of Michael K. Deaver

“Isn’t it pretty rare for a tropical storm to hit Washington, DC?” Asked the President.

“Yes, sir.” Replied the head of the National Weather Service.  The two were meeting in the Oval on this late September morning as rain poured outside.  “Tropical Storm Danielle is the first to hit DC since 1981.”  Rare as she was, Danielle was making her presence felt as the rain grew louder.

“I remember other storms, more recent ones, hitting DC.  Wasn’t there one just a few years ago?”

“I think you’re referring to Tropical Storm Chris which hit DC in 1988, but when it hit DC it wasn’t a tropical storm anymore.”

The President paused momentarily.  “You’ve said this before…”

“Chris was a tropical storm, but it’s not one anymore.” Said the head of the National Weather Service.  “It’s wind speed has fallen below the threshold for qualifying as a tropical storm.”

“Thanks for the update, and keep us posted.” Replied then-Vice President Bush.

“Yes, sir.” The head of the Weather Service left the Vice President’s Office in the Naval Observatory, leaving the George Bush and James Baker alone for a moment.

“We have to talk about debate prep, sir.” Said Baker.

“We have to talk about debate prep, sir.” Said Baker.  “Governor Clinton is a much better debater than Ross Perot.  I think we should set some time aside to prep you.”

“Yeah, let’s do it.”  Replied the President.

“Teeter thinks Clinton is a good debater and I think he’s right.  His message lends itself to quick little sound bites.  We’re especially worried about the townhall format.”

“Why?”

“Clinton is an empathetic figure.  He seems to connect with individuals, he’ll be especially good in that format.  He’s not like Dukakis.  Dukakis was a cold fish…”

“Dukakis is a cold fish.  He’s smart but he’s a hard guy to like.  I don’t mean that people dislike him, it’s just that there’s a sort of ivory tower quality to him  He seems like the type of guy who thinks you can become a good golfer by reading books about golf.”  Bob Teeter had a bit more hair in 1988 than he did in 1992, and he thought little of Mike Dukakis.

“I don’t understand the golf reference.” Said the President.

“I mean it seems like he works out problems by consulting textbooks without gaining any practical experience.”  Said Teeter.

“I got you.  So you think he won’t connect with people, that he’ll seem like problems are abstractions and not things that affect real people.”

The rain poured outside the White House as Tropical Storm Danielle pelted Washington.  “I understand that people’s problems are not just abstractions.”

“Mr. President, I know that you understand that people’s problems are not abstractions, but people don’t always understand that you understand.” Said Baker.

“Is this still about the checkout counter?”

“The incident with the checkout counter didn’t help matters, but it’s more than that.  Until Deaver came aboard, there was a general sense of nonchalance about the economy in this building.  There was a perception and the incident reinforced it.”

The President took a moment to look out the window at the rain and wind.

“Set up some time for debate prep.  We’ll be ready, don’t worry.”

“Thank you ,sir.”

Baker left the room, and the executive Secretary notified the President that Mr. Deaver was ready to see him.  The President had requested him.

“I heard that Tony and Bob had a fight over our message when we went to Illinois.” Said the President.

“That’s right, sir.” Said Deaver.

“Tony thinks we should make the race about my experience.  Bob thinks we should make it about message.”

“That’s right.”

“Who do you agree with?”

“I think it’s a false choice.”

“What do you mean?”

“Tell me, Mr. President, what was going on at this time four years ago?”

“I was weathering a different storm, literally and figuratively.  We were doing debate prep at the same time we were finalizing the S&L deal.  That was the only time I can remember having a hard time getting Congress to spend $2 billion dollars.”

“That was a deal that may have prevented a recession.  The whole financial sector was holding its breath and you were part of the team that pieced the thing back together.  There’s not a difference between you and your experience.  They’re the same thing.  You can credibly say you can fix this problem because you’ve done it before.  Connect the two things.”

The President nodded his head.  “Thank you, Mike.”

“Thank you, Mr. President.”

As Deaver began to leave the Oval the President said, “Mike, you know we wouldn’t have made it this far without you, right?”

“Mr. President, I can’t take that much credit.  All I do is help good men be as good as they can be.  You did the hard part, I just helped out here and there.”

“You did a little more than just help out here and there.”

“I appreciate that, sir.  Did you need anything else?”

“No.  Just remember that you have the gratitude of a lot of people around here.”

“Thank you, sir.”

And with that, Mike Deaver left the Oval Office.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »

Awesome writing.  I particularly liked the flashback scene.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2007, 01:30:40 AM »

I don't know if people saw it, but this was updated a few days ago.  I will do two or three more episodes I think and then wrap the story up with the election.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »

Come on John - the Debate! - Bring it on! Tongue

Bonus points if you can include any of the following:
"There it is. That's the ten word answer my staff's been looking for for two weeks. There it is. Ten-word answers can kill you in political campaigns. They're the tip of the sword. Here's my question: What are the next ten words of your answer? Your taxes are too high? So are mine. Give me the next ten words. How are we going to do it? Give me ten after that, I'll drop out of the race right now. Every once in a while... every once in a while, there's a day with an absolute right and an absolute wrong, but those days almost always include body counts. Other than that, there aren't very many unnuanced moments in leading a country that's way too big for ten words. I'm the President of the United States, not the President of the people who agree with me."

"Sixty percent is six of ten in a focus group. You change one mind, it's a dead heat. You change two, it's a landslide. This campaign's a mechanism of persuasion. We're not asking for a show of hands."

"I think it depends who shows up. If it's Uncle Fluffy, we've got problems. If it's the President - in his last campaign, in his last debate, for the last job he'll ever have... if the President shows up, I think it could be a sight to see. I mean, a sight to see."

" 'In the history of the world?' When we say that, are we comparing ourselves to the Visigoths, adjusted for inflation?"

And finally one you'd obviously have to adjust:
"Actually, what you've done in Florida is bring the right together with the far right. And I don't think Americans are tired of partisan politics; I think they're tired of hearing career politicians diss partisan politics to get a gig. I've tried it before. They ain't buying it. That's okay, though; that's okay, though, 'cause partisan politics is good. Partisan politics is what the founders had in mind. It guarantees that the minority opinion is heard, and as a lifelong possessor of minority opinions, I appreciate it. But if you're troubled by it, Governor, you should know, in this campaign, you've used the word 'liberal' seventy-four times. In one day. It was yesterday."
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 03:55:45 AM »

Come on John - the Debate! - Bring it on! Tongue

Bonus points if you can include any of the following:
"There it is. That's the ten word answer my staff's been looking for for two weeks. There it is. Ten-word answers can kill you in political campaigns. They're the tip of the sword. Here's my question: What are the next ten words of your answer? Your taxes are too high? So are mine. Give me the next ten words. How are we going to do it? Give me ten after that, I'll drop out of the race right now. Every once in a while... every once in a while, there's a day with an absolute right and an absolute wrong, but those days almost always include body counts. Other than that, there aren't very many unnuanced moments in leading a country that's way too big for ten words. I'm the President of the United States, not the President of the people who agree with me."

"Sixty percent is six of ten in a focus group. You change one mind, it's a dead heat. You change two, it's a landslide. This campaign's a mechanism of persuasion. We're not asking for a show of hands."

"I think it depends who shows up. If it's Uncle Fluffy, we've got problems. If it's the President - in his last campaign, in his last debate, for the last job he'll ever have... if the President shows up, I think it could be a sight to see. I mean, a sight to see."

" 'In the history of the world?' When we say that, are we comparing ourselves to the Visigoths, adjusted for inflation?"

And finally one you'd obviously have to adjust:
"Actually, what you've done in Florida is bring the right together with the far right. And I don't think Americans are tired of partisan politics; I think they're tired of hearing career politicians diss partisan politics to get a gig. I've tried it before. They ain't buying it. That's okay, though; that's okay, though, 'cause partisan politics is good. Partisan politics is what the founders had in mind. It guarantees that the minority opinion is heard, and as a lifelong possessor of minority opinions, I appreciate it. But if you're troubled by it, Governor, you should know, in this campaign, you've used the word 'liberal' seventy-four times. In one day. It was yesterday."

Ask and ye shall recieve.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 04:05:06 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2007, 02:26:20 AM by Written by Aaron Sorkin »

Episode Seventeen: Ten Word Answer

“I am Jim Lehrer of the MacNeil-Lehrer Newshour on PBS. I will be the moderator for this debate, which is being sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates. It will be 90 minutes long. It is happening before an audience on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing.”

Senior staff were backstage in the spin room watching the debate.

“What do you think is going to happen, Mike?” Asked Teeter.

“I think we’re not going to use our opponent’s youth and inexperience against them, if you know what I mean.” Said Deaver.

“What does that mean?  You’ve got a line you gave him?”

“More than one, actually.”

“Admit it, that Arkansas is doing very, very badly against any standard -- environment, support for police officers, whatever it is.” Said the President.

“Governor, is that true?” Asked Lehrer.

Clinton responded, “Mr. Bush's Bureau of Labor Statistics says that Arkansas ranks first in the country in the growth of new jobs this year, first.  4th in manufacturing jobs, 4th in the reduction of poverty, 4th in income increase. Over the last 10 years we've created manufacturing jobs much more rapidly than the national average. Over the last 5 years our income has grown more rapidly than the national average. We are 2nd in tax burden, the 2nd lowest tax burden in the country.  We have the lowest per capita state and local spending in the country. We're low spending, low tax burden. We dramatically increased investment and our jobs are growing. I wish America had that kind of record and I think most people looking at us tonight would like it if we had more jobs and a lower spending burden on the government.”

Lehrer, “President Bush, your response.”

“Well, first of all, Jim, it’s a little misleading to say that because you ran Arkansas’ economy you can run the US economy.  The state of Arkansas has fewer people than Los Angeles, Chicago, or New York City.  Saying that you can go from running Arkansas to running the largest economy in the world is like saying that you can go from running a corner grocery store to running Wal-Mart.”

Laughter from the audience.

“Over the last ten years he’s been Governor, Arkansas has ranked behind the national average in almost every category of economic performance.  Every statistic the Governor cited comes from only the last two years of his tenure.  Citing statistics is one of the Governor’s favorite tactics to convince voters he’s a capable manager, he sends them out rapid fire devoid of any context hoping you won’t notice they’re less than fully accurate.  But he does have one statistic I love to hear him recite, one he’s recited over 100 times in this campaign.  He loves to point out that since he became Governor, Arkansas has gone from 50th in the nation in education to 49th.  Now, Bill, I think I’d have kept that statistic a secret if I were you.”

Laughter again from the audience.

“That’s two.” Said Deaver.

“How many more are there?” Asked Teeter.

“Ninety minutes worth.”

“He really didn't have a new economic program until over 1300 days into his presidency, and not all of his health care initiative has been presented to the Congress even now.  I think it's important to elect a president who is committed to getting this economy going again, and who realizes we have to abandon trickle-down economics and put the American people first again, and who will send programs to the Congress in the first hundred days to deal with the critical issues that America is crying out for leadership on -- jobs, incomes, the health care crisis, the need to control the economy. Those things deserve to be dealt with from day one. I will deal with them from day 1. They will be my first priority, not my election year concern.” Said Clinton.

“President Bush” Prompted Lehrer.

“The reason that we haven’t introduced our whole health care plan is that you don’t always introduce a sweeping reform all at once.  Sometimes you have to move slowly and steadily and take things piecemeal.  The problem with Governor Clinton is he doesn’t seem to understand that.  He wants to swim the English Channel, but doesn’t realize it takes more than jumping off a pier.”

The audience laughs again.

“I can’t watch anymore.” Said Teeter, as he walked away from the monitor he was looking at.  “Oh,wait, yes I can.” He returned to watching the monitor, a look a schadenfreude on his face.

Deaver just smiled, watching his script unfold.

“Clinton is not giving a bad response to any question, you just put together lines that blow them away.  How did you do it?”

“Clinton answers every question the same way he’s been answering for a year.  That means he’s very disciplined, but because we know what he’ll say it also means we know exactly what to say in response and we’ve had a whole campaign to think up zinger responses to every focus grouped line.  The smoothly recited lines are no substitute for improvisation.” Said Deaver.

“Or for good writers.” Said Teeter.

“But let's look at where I think the real mistake was made. In 1988 when the war between Iraq and Iran ended, we knew Saddam Hussein was a tyrant, we had dealt with him because he was against Iran -- the enemy of my enemy maybe is my friend.  So I think what was wrong -- I give credit where credit is due -- but the responsibility was in coddling Saddam Hussein when there was no reason to do it and when people at high levels in our government knew he was trying to do things that were outrageous.” Said Clinton

“Mr. President, your response.”

“We tried what’s called constructive engagement with Iraq.  It didn’t work, and I regret that, but I feel that at the time it was worth trying.  I think it was worth trying because a President’s job is to not use military force until you’ve exhausted diplomatic options, and we exhausted diplomatic options before we used any force.  We tried to bring Saddam into the community of nations and he responded by committing an act of war, and we had to respond by military force.  Now, Governor Clinton has just said I wasn’t tough enough on Iraq, but at the time he said something very different.  He said he would not have invaded Iraq, that he would have let sanctions have more time to work.  Many people on the Governor’s campaign have asked, ‘Are you better off than you were four years ago?’  I think a more useful question would be, ‘Would you be better off today if my opponent had been elected four years ago?’.  Now, there’s very little we know for sure about how the world would be different, but one thing we do know is that if Bill Clinton had been President in 1991, Saddam Hussein would still be ruling Kuwait today.”

“That’s it.  It’s over.” Said Teeter.  “That’s the clip that gets the watch out of the news.

“No, we’re about to give ‘em one clip to beat it.”

The two men watched Jim Lehrer deliver the debate’s final question on the monitor.  “Governor Clinton, you said that you will raise taxes on the rich, people with incomes of $200,000 a year or higher. A lot of people are saying that you will have to go lower than that, much lower. Will you make a pledge tonight below which, an income level that you will not go below? I'm looking for numbers, sir, not just a concept.”

“The person responsible for domestic economic policy in my administration will be Bill Clinton. I'm gonna make those decisions, and I won't raise taxes on the middle class to pay for my programs.”

“Watch this.” Said Deaver.

“There it is. That's the ten word answer my staff's been looking for for two weeks. There it is. Ten-word answers can kill you in political campaigns. They're the tip of the sword. Here's my question: What are the next ten words of your answer? You think the deficit is too high, so do I.  Your taxes are too high, so are mine. Give me the next ten words. How are we going to do it? Every once in a while... every once in a while, there's a day with an absolute right and an absolute wrong, but those days almost always include body counts. Other than that, there aren't very many un-nuanced moments in leading a country that's way too big for just ten words. I'm the President of the United States, not the President of the people who agree with me.  And if conservatives don’t like that, they can vote for someone else.”

The Bush staff cheered in the spin room, while the Clinton staff sunk their shoulders.

“We just broke the tie.” Said Deaver.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »

Smiley
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »

Fantastic as usual.  I love this story and hope you to a second one at some point.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2007, 04:48:24 AM »

Episode Eighteen: Exit Polls

"Are you looking at these exits?" Asked Teeter.

"Yeah.  Don't worry about them.  Democrats vote early.  Democrats and diehards, they vote early." Responded Sam Skinner.

"These turnout figures reflect our worst case assumptions about turnout in Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina…"

"Good thing they don't represent the electorate for another seven hours."

"These are the kinds of figures that can take our two point lead and wipe it out."

"I wouldn't worry about them, Bob, they're early numbers."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Who did you vote for?" Clamored a reporter as President Bush walked out of the polling booth and handed his ballot to the poll worker.

"Tom Dewey." Bush replied.

The press chuckled politely.

"What do you think your chances are at this stage?" Asked another reporter, as Bush began walking towards his motorcade.

"Oh, it's in the hands of the voters, now." Was the sterile, politician-like response.  Bush got into the limousine without having taken another question.  As soon as Bush entered the limo, he grabbed the telephone the car had installed inside it and called the White House.  "I'd like to see the latest exit polls."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The exit polls did not show what the President and his staff wanted to hear.  Since the debates, the President had led by five or six points in the internals the White House had run.  That lead shrunk two weeks later to just four as the debate bump wore off.  When the undecided began breaking, they began breaking for Clinton.  The President's lead in the last internal was only two points.

The internals also raised a concern.  Many socially conservative voters in the south were turned off by Pete Wilson's presence on the ticket.  While Wilson polled well in the northeast and California, he did not poll well in the south.  The exit polls were showing lower than usual Republican turnout across the Bible Belt, even for an early exit this poll leaned Democratic in those states.

Making matters worse, it was raining across much of the country, meaning that a Bush voter who saw the late opinion polls, thought Bush was sure to win, yet was not enthused about the ticket would be additionally likely to stay home.  If your preferred candidate is only preferable by a small amount and he is thought sure to win anyway, why brave the weather to vote?

"As the polls close in Kentucky, we are unable to call the race…" Said the television, "we can call Indiana for President Bush, however."

"Where is the President?" Asked Teeter.

"He should be arriving in twenty minutes." Replied Skinner.  The two were watching election returns on the television in Skinner's office.  Strangely, election day is probably the least hectic day for a political staffer.  There is very little to do but watch the returns come in.

"They can't call Kentucky." Said Teeter.  "Kentucky is a state we should win by five if we have any chance nationally, and they can't call it."

"It's early returns.  We don't know what precincts they're looking at."

"They can't call it because they're exits show a tie race and their early returns make the precincts in they're exit poll/"

"Bob, is there anything I could do to get you to spend the next eight hours at the movies?"

By 8:15, half the country had finished voting.  Clinton was sweeping the northeast and the south was disputed.  Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, and Kentucky had yet to be called and Tennessee had voted for Clinton.  Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania all had Clinton in the lead but had yet to be called.  Within an hour, the situation had worsened.  Clinton had either won or was leading in enough states to give him 251 electoral votes with Iowa, Oregon, Washington, and California yet to report.  President Bush led or had had won in states accounting for only 182 electoral votes.  It did not appear that we would have a President until after midnight.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2007, 04:32:01 PM »

Could you post electoral maps when the states are called. That would be great. Once again, great job with the timeline. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »

Great job, this is an amazingly written timeline. I agree with Rockefeller Republican though; if you can please post some electoral maps so we can get a better idea of how things are playing out.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2007, 09:20:02 AM by Jas »

This map is:
Clinton 251
Bush 181
Tossup 106

Which is 1 EV short of where Bush is according to Ford.
According to the scenario the following are definite uncalled: Iowa, Oregon, Washington, and California.
The following were uncalled, but the text implies that time has moved on: Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, and Kentucky.

I divided up the remaining states and then moved as few as possible (Florida and Kentucky) of the latter group to get as close as possible to the EV's John put down. Still can't find a perfect fit, but this be the best I've come up with.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »

Here is the map at the end of the last episode.

Dark blue means the state has been called for Bush, dark red has been called for Clinton.

Light blue means the polls have closed and Bush is ahead on early returns but the state has not been called and light red means Clinton leads in early returns but the state has not been called.

Light green means the state's polls have yet to close.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »

Outstanding!!!  Smiley

I've been thinking about one for 1988.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2007, 03:46:43 AM »

Finale soon.  Sorry for the delay.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »

Ditto.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »

Episode Nineteen: Chess

Michael Deaver came to what is called the “Outer Office”, the place immediately outside the Oval where the President’s executive secretary works.  The executive was not there tonight, but the President’s personal aide, Tim McBride, was.  Deaver asked if the President was in the Oval, and McBride said he was not.  The President was outside the Oval playing chess.  McBride said Deaver could see the President.

Deaver entered the Oval and exited out the door that faced the Rose Garden.  He found the President playing chess alone in the White House Colonnade.

“Who’s winning?” Asked the President.

“Black is, from the looks of it.” Replied Deaver.

“That’s not what I mean.”

“I know what you mean, sir.  I was trying to add levity.”

“Eight and a half million people are unemployed and tomorrow I may be one of them, but I’m glad we’ve got someone for comic relief.”

“Ohio has been called for Clinton.  So has Pennsylvania.” Reported Deaver.

“Any good news?”

The scare down south is over.  Georgia, both Carolinas, and Florida have gone our way officially.” Said Deaver.

“Kentucky?”

Deaver shook his head.  “I’m afraid not.”

The President nodded.  “Yeah.”

Tim McBride came out on to the Colonnade with a note and handed it to the President, then he left discreetly.  The President read the note.

“Apparently, the mountain west is starting to report.  We’ve got Idaho and Wyoming.  Everything else is too close to call.”  The President put the note in his jacket pocket.  “What are our chances right now?”

“We’re lucky that we picked Wilson for the bottom of the ticket because it gives us a real chance in California.  Without California, we can’t win.  Even with it, we’ll need to sweep the southwest and get at least one state currently leaning to Clinton to flip to us.”

The President looked down at his chess board.  “So, you’re saying I’m playing white.”  Bush moved one of the pieces on the chess board, moving the black king’s rook to H1.

“That’s check.” Said Deaver.

“But not check mate.” The President stood up and went into the Oval.

”We can now call the state of California as the polls closed a few minutes ago.” Said the television in the communications bullpen. ”The state has gone decisively for President Bush and his running mate, California Governor Pete Wilson.”

Gathered staff in the bullpen cheered loudly.  Without California, there would be no second term.  By winning California, they campaign was still alive, and the race was a true dogfight.

Bob Teeter shuffled through the crowd as best he could and found Tony Snow.  He grabbed Snow by the arm and asked if there was anyplace quiet they could go.  Tony led Teeter into his office.

“I just called a guy at CNN I know and he shared some exit poll data with me.” Said Teeter.

“What did it say?” Asked Snow.

“They can’t call it yet, but Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico will all go for us.”

“Louisiana?”

“We’re going to lose it.  The calls all will start coming in about a half hour from now.”

“Where does that leave us?”

“After the calls come in, we’ll have 263 and Clinton will have 264.  We can assume we lose Hawai’i and win Alaska, which makes it 268 for them and 266 for us.”

“Who won’t have been called?”

“Only one state.  New Hampshire.  Right now, we trail by 154 votes.”

“When do you suppose they’ll call New Hampshire?” Asked the President.

“We don’t know.” Replied Teeter.  Teeter, Deaver, Baker, and Skinner were in the Oval updating the President on the electoral situation.  The sun had nearly risen and every state but one had been called.  The election would be decided by New Hampshire, which at last report had counted 90% of the votes and Bush was only five votes down.

“Thanks for the update guys.  Mike, I’d like for you to stay a minute the rest of you should go watch the returns.  Actually, you should sleep, but since I know you won’t, watching returns is the second best option.  I can’t convince any of you to sleep, can I?”

“We’ll sleep when you sleep.” Responded Skinner.

“Well this is gonna be interesting because we’re going to have a small band of very dedicated people who can’t lift their arms.” Quipped Baker.  “Let’s go guys.”

Everyone but Deaver and Bush left the room.

Hands in his pockets, the President walked out to his chess board in the Colonnade.

“I think white will checkmate black in six or seven moves.  The is to trade the queen’s knight for the king’s rook, which is three moves away.  And it also occurs to me that I have never said thank you.”  The President stood next to the chess board, hands in his pockets still.  The sun was now rising in the east and its light was directly on the President.  Deaver stood in the doorway between the Colonnade and the Oval, listening.

“We were done when you came aboard.  We were absolutely finished.  We had no momentum, no ideas, no plan.  One year after we had a 91% approval rating, this was a one term White House all of a sudden.  And then you showed up and saved the whole thing.  You’ve done an extraordinary thing.  You are the best political mind of your generation, and you’ve done an extraordinary thing, win or lose.”

“It helps when you cook with the right food.” Said Deaver.

The President smiled.  “Either way, it occurs to me that I have yet to say thank you until right now.  So, thank you.”

The door to the Oval opened up and a hurried Samuel Skinner came into the Oval Office.

“What is it?” Asked Deaver as he came back into the Oval.  The President left the side of his chess board to enter the Oval as well.

“What happened?” Asked the President.

Skinner’s hurried manner relaxed and he smiled.  “You’re gonna win New Hampshire.”

The President’s tension abated immediately, and a smile came across his face.  Senior staff began filing into the Oval Office to congratulate the President.  James Baker and Tony Snow and Bob Teeter all came in.

“We’ve got our four more years.” Said the President.

“Yes, sir.”

“All right, guys,” Said the President, “what’s next?”
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp