A Tribute To Communism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:37:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A Tribute To Communism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Tribute To Communism  (Read 3676 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »

Slavery didn't have a high death toll.

Weren't there more than a few deaths on the slave boats?

I'm not putting that into the equation considering the fact they weren't truly owned slaves yet.

OK, so slavery wasn't responsible...just the slave-trading industry and the demand for slavery.

That's kind of a trivial distinction, man.

One of the first things the founders in our country did was put a moratorium on the importation of slaves.  For most of the existence of what the United States had as slavery, trade existed mostly among the young slaves born in the country and those already here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

Slavery didn't have a high death toll.

Weren't there more than a few deaths on the slave boats?

I'm not putting that into the equation considering the fact they weren't truly owned slaves yet.

OK, so slavery wasn't responsible...just the slave-trading industry and the demand for slavery.

That's kind of a trivial distinction, man.

One of the first things the founders in our country did was put a moratorium on the importation of slaves.  For most of the existence of what the United States had as slavery, trade existed mostly among the young slaves born in the country and those already here.

No, one of the first thing the founders did was make it unconstitutional to ban importation for twenty years. The slave trade was only banned after those twenty years had passed.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 11:58:51 AM »

ok, you're right.

The point still stands as a reute to Alcon's argument though, so it's all good.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »

Well, America did have the highest success in the Western Hemisphere for slaves not dying quickly. Unlike other countries, we were able to maintain slavery by natural increase rather than having to continue importation in the 19th century. On the other hand, slaves did drop like flies in places that were prone to diseases, like South Carolina's rice plantations. In contrast, there was so much money to be made in sugar in warmer climates that slaves were quite literally worked to death. In Brazil, it was considered a great return on your investment if your slave lived for 5 years.

Well of course you must admit that whites both poor and rich both faced the same harsh enviroment of the deep south that slaves faced. Yellow fever was quite common throught the populated areas of the deep south well into the 1880s. I'm not read up on South American slavery but I know for a fact that in the American south slaves were quite valuable and to kill them off quickly by working them to death was both unprofitable and sometimes illegal.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »

Well, America did have the highest success in the Western Hemisphere for slaves not dying quickly. Unlike other countries, we were able to maintain slavery by natural increase rather than having to continue importation in the 19th century. On the other hand, slaves did drop like flies in places that were prone to diseases, like South Carolina's rice plantations. In contrast, there was so much money to be made in sugar in warmer climates that 0slaves were quite literally worked to death. In Brazil, it was considered a great return on your investment if your slave lived for 5 years.

Well of course you must admit that whites both poor and rich both faced the same harsh enviroment of the deep south that slaves faced. Yellow fever was quite common throught the populated areas of the deep south well into the 1880s. I'm not read up on South American slavery but I know for a fact that in the American south slaves were quite valuable and to kill them off quickly by working them to death was both unprofitable and sometimes illegal.

There weren't many whites in these areas for that very reason. The low country of South Carolina was more than 90% black in some places. Even after millions of blacks moved north in the 20th century, the region is still heavily black.
I don't think that many slaves were murdered outright by their owners, for reasons that you've expressed, but they were frequently worked to death. Slaves were certainly a valuable resource, but I think people often don't use their resources wislely. Think about all the folks out there with maxed out credit cards and such. It doesn't make any sense, but people still do it. I'm sure that the conditions under which slaves lived varied widely from plantation to plantation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies