Barbara Boxer to run for re-election in 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:01:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Barbara Boxer to run for re-election in 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Barbara Boxer to run for re-election in 2010  (Read 6562 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 09:42:52 AM »

This will be an easy hold.

I hope Arnold runs. This scum needs to be sent packing.

You really believe that Arnold would defeat her, don't you?

I don't understand the right-wing hatred for Boxer- she doesn't even support gay marriage, and she's been a fervent advocate of "anti-terror" measures like the PATRIOT Act. 

Two issues that she is closer to us so we have to tolerate her? The woman is militant with abortion. That alone makes up for whatever "conservative" views you think she has.

I think Arnold would have a good shot at beating her.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »

Hopefully Arnie runs, I'd put my money on Boxer winning re-election, but atleast he could give her a run for her money.  I know he isn't overly popular in California, but hey, he'll be leaving office by than anyways, so why not give it a last shot.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 12:09:35 PM »

Hopefully Arnie runs, I'd put my money on Boxer winning re-election, but atleast he could give her a run for her money.  I know he isn't overly popular in California, but hey, he'll be leaving office by than anyways, so why not give it a last shot.

Arnie looks like he is fairly popular, So maybe an upset is waiting in the wings?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »

No Arnold is not popular. He just lucked out getting an opponent with the charisma of a flat tire.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »

It is certainly very very very unfortunate that she supported the awful Patriot Act. She seems like a pretty intelligent person.

Does anyone know who voted against it?
(I think Feingold did, and I would think Kucinich also, anyone else?)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 01:28:19 PM »

Feingold was made very (in)famous for being the only person in the entire Senate who voted against the PATRIOT Act.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »

It is certainly very very very unfortunate that she supported the awful Patriot Act. She seems like a pretty intelligent person.

I believe that Feingold was the only person in the Senate to vote against it, and Landrieu did not vote at all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »

I believe that Feingold was the only person in the Senate to vote against it, and Landrieu did not vote at all.

Didn't Paul Wellstone also oppose it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 03:47:18 PM »

No Arnold is not popular. He just lucked out getting an opponent with the charisma of a flat tire.

That must also explain why Casey never got to the Senate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »

Nope, AndrewCT is correct.  The vote on final passage was 98-1, with 1 not voting.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 04:11:35 PM »

Nope, AndrewCT is correct.  The vote on final passage was 98-1, with 1 not voting.

What about in the House of Reps?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 04:16:05 PM »

See for yourself:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll398.xml

It passed 357-66-9.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »

Correct on both counts, but I'm not sure why- when gay marriage is made available, she denounces it and states her belief that "marriage is between a man and a woman."

Ha, typical politician. Always trying to pander to two sides of the same coin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2007, 05:09:10 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I like Arnold a lot, and would have voted for him as he was the more moderate Democrat running in last years Gubernatorial Election....

Arnold is not a moderate Democrat. His fiscal policies are hard right-wing. He only pretends to care about the environment when it doesn't involve any new spending. He probably has a political compass score of about Economic: +7, Social: 0.

He railed against the "special interests", which are appearantly union money but not corporate money.

Arnold called the party of FDR "economic girlie-men". He took office with a huge deficit, and promptly made that $4 billion larger by cutting taxes by $4 billion (the car tax). He massively cut college and public transit funding, even though each dollar cut from those hurt the economy by $4 and $8 respectively.

No, Arnold is only seen as a moderate because the media elite sold him as a moderate. Being a pro-choice Republican doesn't mean that you aren't crazy.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »

I like Arnold a lot, and would have voted for him as he was the more moderate Democrat running in last years Gubernatorial Election....

Arnold is not a moderate Democrat. His fiscal policies are hard right-wing. He only pretends to care about the environment when it doesn't involve any new spending. He probably has a political compass score of about Economic: +7, Social: 0.

He railed against the "special interests", which are appearantly union money but not corporate money.

Arnold called the party of FDR "economic girlie-men". He took office with a huge deficit, and promptly made that $4 billion larger by cutting taxes by $4 billion (the car tax). He massively cut college and public transit funding, even though each dollar cut from those hurt the economy by $4 and $8 respectively.

No, Arnold is only seen as a moderate because the media elite sold him as a moderate. Being a pro-choice Republican doesn't mean that you aren't crazy.

Then Boxer must be an insane liberal then! 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2007, 09:19:30 PM by Paper Hanger »

Casey was only that bad of a candidate in the eyes of die-hard extreme Casey haters like yourself and Walter. I remember you guys insisting that during the MTP debate Casey would do so horribly he would make Bush at the first debate look like a master debator and Santorum would inevitably gain a few points. Casey also didn't have a primary opponent that ripped the hell of him.

Arnold is certainly not more popular than Bill Weld or Tony Knowles, that's for sure.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 07:03:42 PM »

Casey was only that bad of a candidate in the eyes of die-hard extreme Casey haters like yourself and Walter. I remember you guys insisting that during the MTP debate Casey would do so horribly he would make Bush at the first debate look like a master debator and Santorum would inevitably gain a few points. Casey also didn't have a primary opponent that ripped the hell of him.

Arnold is certainly not more popular than Bill Weld or Tony Knowles, that's for sure.

However California is closer to the center then ether AK,Or MA, So Arold would most likely have easier a time getting elected then ether Bill Weld or Tony Knowles.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »

Casey was only that bad of a candidate in the eyes of die-hard extreme Casey haters like yourself and Walter.

Every political analyst's commentary points out that Casey is a bad campaigner and is seen as lacking charisma (probably more so than Angelides).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And that's a reason why Angelides was a bad campaigner and lacked charisma/personality?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 12:31:28 PM »

And that's a reason why Angelides was a bad campaigner and lacked charisma/personality?

No, but it certainly hurt his campaign. I remember during the election season last year, the Schwarzenegger campaign was quoting ads by Steve Westly, then at the end of the ad, said " Maybe Steve Westly was right". I don't know if it would have affected the outcome, but I can tell you with certainty that Angelides would have broke 40% if he didn't have primary opposition.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 12:37:12 PM »

I'm glad she's running again.  I really like Barbara Boxer.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »

Feingold was made very (in)famous for being the only person in the entire Senate who voted against the PATRIOT Act.

There was a vote on extending the PATRIOT Act in 2005 where 10 senators (including Feingold) voted Nay.

Off the top of my head some of the other Nay votes were Jeff Bingaman, Robert Byrd, Jim Jeffords, Patrick Leahy.

Boxer was not one of them.
Ferdinand
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -8.70

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2007, 11:45:30 PM »

Governor is one thing, U.S. Senate is another. Arnold would get hammered in a federal election. Rightfully so, Boxer is one of the few worthwhile Democrats in the Senate.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 06:05:39 PM »

Governor is one thing, U.S. Senate is another. Arnold would get hammered in a federal election. Rightfully so, Boxer is one of the few worthwhile Democrats in the Senate.

I doubt he would get hammered. I predict something like 53-44 Boxer.
Ferdinand
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -8.70

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 06:18:53 PM »

I doubt he would get hammered. I predict something like 53-44 Boxer.

That's about what I would guess. I would consider a 9 point loss a "hammering", which is more than "comfortable win", but less than an "annihilation". Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies