DC Representative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:22:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Representative
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DC Representative  (Read 1600 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 09:57:31 PM »

Who cares if it's Constitutional, as far as Congress goes?  It's the Courts' job to decide that.  Let Congress do it if they want to, and let the courts do their job if necessary.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:17 AM »

Who cares if it's Constitutional, as far as Congress goes?  It's the Courts' job to decide that.  Let Congress do it if they want to, and let the courts do their job if necessary.

I wouldn't want to see that mess unfold.  Do you want there to be rioting in the Capital when the law inevitably gets overturned by the Court?  I suppose such action may bring enough national attention to the issue that it would eventually get the treatment it deserves but I'm not sure the preceding craziness would be worth it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 07:14:07 AM »

I suppose such action may bring enough national attention to the issue that it would eventually get the treatment it deserves ...

They are getting the treatment they deserve.  They are not living in a state and are doing so on their own free will.  If they are that heartbroken over representation, they can move 5 miles into Maryland or Virginia.  Maybe instead of representation, they need an education.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »

I suppose such action may bring enough national attention to the issue that it would eventually get the treatment it deserves ...

They are getting the treatment they deserve.  They are not living in a state and are doing so on their own free will.  If they are that heartbroken over representation, they can move 5 miles into Maryland or Virginia.  Maybe instead of representation, they need an education.

and live in the SUBURBS.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »

and live in the SUBURBS.

*evil laughter*  Just as I've planned!  You are next!  Tongue
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 03:29:01 AM »

I can think of no reason for us to deny DC residents the right to vote based on that argument while we simultaneously allow people living across the ocean in foreign nations to vote absentee.  This is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the frivolous arguments against DC representation.  There is no legitimate reason we shouldn't amend the Constitution to extend full voting rights to DC residents.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 07:18:13 AM »

I can think of no reason for us to deny DC residents the right to vote based on that argument while we simultaneously allow people living across the ocean in foreign nations to vote absentee.  This is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the frivolous arguments against DC representation.  There is no legitimate reason we shouldn't amend the Constitution to extend full voting rights to DC residents.

Each state can establish voting rights for their residents who live overseas.  Some states don't allow it except for the Presidential election, which DC residents are able to vote on.  DC residents do vote for the city council, which reports directly to Congress (no State legislature to worry about), so they are getting the representation they need as a non-state entity.  They don't need anything else beyond that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 04:19:04 PM »

Pass an amendment - they pay taxes, they deserve representation, non-tax-paying territories don't however.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies