Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:30:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader  (Read 7292 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: May 14, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »

Why is it that its the Dems that are screaming that Republicans should conpromise, but when one of their own actually takes it into practice, they accuse him of helping the uncompromising Republicans?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:56:36 PM »

We need more politicians like Lieberman who are not afraid to stand up to partisan politics. Though I disagree with his positions, I feel that Liebrman is a good guy, and should be rewarded for being willing to stand up to a primary challenge from the left. I wish Lieberman wouldn't caucus with the Democrats, though, and would instead opt out of caucusing with either party. I hope he seeks reelection as an independent, but I doubt he will. Sad
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »

Question:  Would he be doing this if he had he won the Democratic Primary a year ago?

Losing a primary didn't make Lieberman a different person, he'd just be undermining the party in slightly more subtle ways. Do you see Mike Gravel or other former Senators who lost a primary undermining their party? No. Only Traitor Joe is.

You can't compare Joe Lieberman to Mike Gravel. The CT Dem Primary on 8/9/06 was part of a national effort by Democrats to get Lieberman out of the Senate. Lamont narrowly won, and due to disgust for the Democrats that ousted him out of the primary, he decided to run as an independent. It turned out that the Connecticut voters decided, and they chose classic Lieberman over the Democratic Party.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

The question is though: Why should any Democrat now like Lieberman, or support him in any way whatsoever?

Who's saying they should? I'm just saying that the national Democrats abandoned Lieberman when they supported Lamont, not the other way around when Lieberman ran as an indy.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »

Yes, the national Democrats opted to support the Democratic nominee, not a third party candidate. What's wrong with that?

1. They were supporting Lamont before the primary
2. Is Lieberman a completely different person before losing the primary and after losing the primary?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:50:59 PM »

What I continue to find hilarious is that if Gore/Lieberman had won in 2000, Vice President Lieberman would most likely be the current frontrunner for the nomination next year.

It's funny that has one event occured, the entire timeline would be messed up. The Republicans would still control Congress, Chris Shays would be a Senator, Ned Lamont wouldn't be the liberal martyr that he is today, John Kerry would be a nobody, etc. etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies