Is the new Congress actually gonna DO anything?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:49:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the new Congress actually gonna DO anything?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is the new Congress actually gonna DO anything?  (Read 2463 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:02:54 PM »

Are they?

In 1994 when Congress changed hands, you KNEW a different party was in control. Trust me on that. I was around then, and I know. But now you'd never know that Congress has changed back.

I expected the Democrats would at least have a good start by now at reversing the past 12 years of Republican fascism, but I don't think they've passed even one major bill yet.

Political parties sometimes have weird names, like the Know-Nothing Party. Maybe the Democrats in Congress ought to start calling themselves the Do-Nothing Party.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »

Are they?

In 1994 when Congress changed hands, you KNEW a different party was in control. Trust me on that. I was around then, and I know. But now you'd never know that Congress has changed back.

I expected the Democrats would at least have a good start by now at reversing the past 12 years of Republican fascism, but I don't think they've passed even one major bill yet.

Political parties sometimes have weird names, like the Know-Nothing Party. Maybe the Democrats in Congress ought to start calling themselves the Do-Nothing Party.

They passed some bills. Of course some wise-guy decided to put the minimum wage increase in the bill that Bush was going to veto.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »

Kinda hard to get things past the Senate when you need 60 votes and McConnell knows about every rules trick out there.

The only bill that's gotten to the Prez was the Iraq one and that was obviously going to be vetoed.

Compromise is your best friend.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:52:53 PM »

The House has been awesome, but the bills get stalled in the Senate because of our tiny majority.  And when we DO finally pass a major bill (Irag funding bill), President Bush vetoes it.

I think everyone knew that there would be crazy gridlock. Bush is not going to sign anything the Democrats pass.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:32:07 PM »

They've been trying -- give them credit for that.  We just have a hard-headed President who keeps shooting down everything they put forth.  He has only vetoed one thing, but he's threatened two or three other vetoes if they survived the Senate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »

The House has been awesome, but the bills get stalled in the Senate because of our tiny majority.  And when we DO finally pass a major bill (Irag funding bill), President Bush vetoes it.

I think everyone knew that there would be crazy gridlock. Bush is not going to sign anything the Democrats pass.

Good point, the Senate Republicans are probably the most partisan the Senate has ever seen, and  if none of the Republicans are on board with a bill, then it needs both Lieberman and Ben Nelson to pass.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:47:23 PM »

The House has been awesome, but the bills get stalled in the Senate because of our tiny majority.  And when we DO finally pass a major bill (Irag funding bill), President Bush vetoes it.

Good point, the Senate Republicans are probably the most partisan the Senate has ever seen, and  if none of the Republicans are on board with a bill, then it needs both Lieberman and Ben Nelson to pass.

That is actually quite true.  This crop of Senate Republicans are unwilling to budge.  I'm beginning to think the only way we're going to get out of Iraq is for Bush to get out of the White House first and put a Democrat in his place.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:52:40 PM »

I'll make the cheap shot that in polls their approval rating is equal or lower than Bush's
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:55:19 PM »

I'll make the cheap shot that in polls their approval rating is equal or lower than Bush's

Reid and Pelosi are a fair amount more popular than Bush, while usually Presidents are more popular than Congressional leaders.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:26:42 AM »

It is silly to think that voters consider the Democrats 'in control' of anything.  Nearly all Americans consider the President in completely control, and blame him for the terrible mess the country has become.  So popularity polls about the Congress are fairly meaningless - I'll wager most americans still think it is controlled by the GOP.

But about the Congress doing anything - no, it won't.  Bandit, the Democrat party is a right wing party. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »

still waiting on action on health care...
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 10:47:52 AM »

I think everyone knew that there would be crazy gridlock.

That's why I supported the Democratic takeover of the Senate. Smiley
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »

You're going to have to wait for a Democratic president to be elected.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »

wont make a difference. 

both parties are bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical and insurance companies.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »

wont make a difference. 

both parties are bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

Sickening, isn't it. Congress is nothing more than an arm of rich and powerful companies to advance their interests . 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 03:43:13 PM »

wont make a difference. 

My dad knows that firsthand, being that he works for a health insurance company.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 07:29:22 PM »

wont make a difference. 

Democrats like John Conyers are trying to do something.
The problem is that there aren't 51 real Democrats in the Senate; I doubt Ben Nelson would support single payer health care.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »

If we elected more people like Russ Feingold, Pete DeFazio, Byron Dorgan, and Jon Tester we'd have universal health insurance in no time.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »

If we elected more people like Russ Feingold, Pete DeFazio, Byron Dorgan, and Jon Tester we'd have universal health insurance in no time.

Fortunately for us all that won't happen.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 07:37:46 PM »

Unfortunate for those of us who desire universal health insurance in this country.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »

Unfortunate for those of us who desire universal health insurance in this country.

There are better options for those who choose not to work or cannot obtain coverage besides a universal plan.  Unfortunately like the balanced budget amendment, people get locked in on a single "cure all" without seeing the full effect of such a program, especially when non-government regulated options would probably provide better service for less.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »

There are better options for those who choose not to work or cannot obtain coverage besides a universal plan. 

Like what?

And the majority of people without health insurance DO work. I always love the tired right-wing talking point of people who "choose not to work".
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 10:09:47 PM »

There are better options for those who choose not to work or cannot obtain coverage besides a universal plan. 

Like what?

And the majority of people without health insurance DO work. I always love the tired right-wing talking point of people who "choose not to work".

If you look at my sentence which you quoted, it does say "or," so don't give me any of that "tired right-wing talking point" nonsense.

Now, as far as what other options, there are numerous movements to create state healtcare insurance for individuals who cannot afford or have coverage through work.  There are also multi-state groups working to provide group coverage rates for individuals by pooling people together to receive plans which are available to larger companies.  These are two of many different programs either already in existence or in the works.  As a result, people will be able to get better care for lower price since it reduces the delays and expenses caused by government bureaucracy running a universal healthcare system for 300+ million people in 50 states with different healthcare laws.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »

The only people who 'choose not to work' MODU, are the owners.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 10:56:25 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2007, 10:58:00 PM by TheresNoMoney »

If you look at my sentence which you quoted, it does say "or," so don't give me any of that "tired right-wing talking point" nonsense.

Who are these people who "choose not to work"? In my 29 years of life, I've only known one person over the age of 18 who chose not to work......my millionaire uncle, and he's a hardcore Republican.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies