Oregon: Earl Blumenauer (D) decides not to run for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:28:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon: Earl Blumenauer (D) decides not to run for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon: Earl Blumenauer (D) decides not to run for Senate  (Read 1532 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »

Blumenauer: Why I'm Not Running

guest column

By Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-Portland).

Learn more at EarlBlumenauer.com

For the last year I have fielded questions and comments about me running for the Senate.

After Peter DeFazio announced his decision not to run for the Senate, the race became an unavoidable topic. I said I would look at it and consider whether a candidacy made sense for me and my family. At this time, it does not, and I have decided not to run for the US Senate.

This was not an easy decision. There is no question that Gordon Smith is vulnerable to defeat. His post-election turnaround on Iraq leaves no doubt that he knows he's out of step with most Oregonians. Gordon Smith and the Republicans were supporters and enablers of the Bush/Cheney Administration and its disastrous policies not just in Iraq but, on the environment, impeding and influencing justice, questionable political appointees, Terry Schiavo........ The list is extensive on the many ways Gordon Smith and George W. Bush are out of step with Oregon.

There is also no doubt that the Senate Democrats under the Chairmanship of Senator Chuck Schumer are poised to build on their 2006 success, with all the resources necessary to wage a winning campaign.

The difficulty in even doing the ground work to evaluate the race was that I have an important, all consuming day job. After years of working in the minority, fighting the Bush administration and Tom DeLay to stop reckless policies and promote Oregon priorities, the world has dramatically changed.

My issues, from ending the Iraq war to stopping global warming, to making sure everyone has health care they can afford, a quality education, and a good job, have gained not just attention, but traction and even momentum. My committee assignments put me in the best possible position to deal with these priorities everyday. I’ve been working for over a decade to get on the Ways and Means Committee and to regain a Democratic majority. I say with January both of these dreams become a reality. Speaker Nancy Pelosi also chose me to serve on the new Global Warming and Energy Independence Committee.

At this unique moment in history there is too much work to be done in the House of Representatives to take on a campaign for the US Senate.

The winning candidate should devote 100 percent effort for the next 18 months to overcome the onslaught that will come from the incumbent, Karl Rove and the Bush White House, and the many special interests who want to keep Smith in office.

I look forward to fighting hard to replace Gordon Smith with a progressive leader for Oregon and continuing to work with the Democratic leadership in the House and the Senate to strengthen our majorities while we hold the Bush administration and their Republican allies accountable in 2008.

http://www.blueoregon.com/2007/05/blumenauer_why_.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:52:59 AM »

Wow. Another big GOP break. I'm worried that Kitzhaber will change his mind because we just seem to have bad luck with everything anymore.

Smith is getting some nice breaks. Watch for former Gubernatorial candidate and current State Senator Ben Westlund to run. I think he would be a strong candidate. I really need to get his son's phone number (the one who was in my tour group on my trip to Europe last summer) and urge him to urge his father not to run.  Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »

I'm worried that Kitzhaber will change his mind because we just seem to have bad luck with everything anymore.

Cue HardRCafé... Tongue
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »

O God why?  First DeFazio, now Blumenauer...people are wrong when they think politicians are overly and overtly ambitious!  This is the only chance either of them will have at a Senate seat - when they have a chance of beating Smith and serving in the Majority in Washington, D.C. - and both of them turn it down?!   Well, role on David Wu or Ben Westlund.  Smith needs an effective challenger; he is vulnerable. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 03:16:11 PM »

I'm worried that Kitzhaber will change his mind because we just seem to have bad luck with everything anymore.

Cue HardRCafé... Tongue

Yeah, he'll go crazy because I am worried that a popular former Governor might be swayed to run by the persuasive Chuck Schumer and turn it into how I really don't want the Republican to win.  Roll Eyes
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »

O God why?  First DeFazio, now Blumenauer...people are wrong when they think politicians are overly and overtly ambitious!  This is the only chance either of them will have at a Senate seat - when they have a chance of beating Smith and serving in the Majority in Washington, D.C. - and both of them turn it down?!   Well, role on David Wu or Ben Westlund.  Smith needs an effective challenger; he is vulnerable. 

DeFazio not running was actually a break for Democrats.  This would mean that they have to defend a very marginal open seat and the current NRCC chair seems to be best in winning open Dem seats.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »

This is unfortunate for Dems, but I think if you read a bit about Steve Novick, he seems like he could give Smith a run for his money.

http://www.novickforsenate.org/

I don't know.  When have you ever heard of an unknown Senate challenger winning against an incumbent?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »

Has Rep. Darlene Hooley from Oregon's 5th ever expressed interest in running for Senate?  Would she be a viable candidate?  Just looking at it on paper it seems like she would be very competitive since she represents a 50-50 district.  However, if she were to run that would also likely cause some major headaches for the Dems.  Defending an open seat in such an evenly split district would be expensive and risky.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »

Has Rep. Darlene Hooley from Oregon's 5th ever expressed interest in running for Senate?  Would she be a viable candidate?  Just looking at it on paper it seems like she would be very competitive since she represents a 50-50 district.  However, if she were to run that would also likely cause some major headaches for the Dems.  Defending an open seat in such an evenly split district would be expensive and risky.

Great question.  Basically, Darlene Hooley lucked into her House seat (she beat a Republican incumbent who dumped his wife of 20+ years for his voluptuous chief of staff), and she's never expressed interest in higher office. On a side note, if, and when DeFazio, Wu and Hooley retire/run for higher office, OR-01, OR-04, and OR-05 will be hotly contested seats. It's pretty remarkable that of the 6  "swing" U.S House districts in Oregon and Washington, only one is held be a Republican.

As a Democratic activist here in Oregon, I was initially quite distraut about Blumenauer's decision.  After much reflection and reading over past Oregon elections, I realized that Ron Wyden's win over Gordon Smith in 1996 was largely a fluke triggered by several factors that won't be there to aid Wyden's successor as Congressman of the 3rd District's attempt to beat Smith. Democrats need a candidate who can win votes in Columbia, Washington, and Marion counties. If the remaining candidates in the field, Ben Westlund, David Wu and Randall Edwards are the only ones to fit that description.

State Sen. Ben Westlund's pluses:
Known by some Oregonians as Independent
Leading voice on health care reform
Resides in  the burgeoning  city of Bend.
Oregonians like party switchers -- paging Wayne Morse.

State Sen. Ben Westlund's minuses:
Low name ID
Not good fundraiser
Rather eccentric (try Googling Westlund + bull semen)
Not trusted by either Democrats or Republicans

Treasurer Randall Edwards:
From Mult. Co, but can relate to rural Oregon.
Married to a rich Republican... has bipartisan cred.
Has sponsored initiatives to make college in Oregon cheaper
Won statewide twice.

Treasurer Randall Edwards:
Relatively low name ID
Arrogant, smarmy persona turns off many potential contributers/supporters.
Rather low-key had not endeared him to Democratic base.
Has eyes on '10 Governorship. This might not be a minus, just ask Bob Casey.

Rep. David Wu's pluses (disclaimer: I know him personally and have worked on all of his campaigns):

Prodigious fundraiser
Represents Oregon's Silicon Forest.
Has beaten well-funded GOP challengers in a swing district
Eloquent speaker with a humorous side (Google David Wu+ Klingons)
Vocal critic of the war, who like Obama, opposed the war from the beginning

Rep. David Wu's minuses
Poor relationship with Oregon's premier newspaper, the Oregonian.
While at Stanford, Wu smothered a girlfriend with a pillow
Has shown little interest in statewide office + loves the House.

If I were Schumer, I'd be calling Wu, Edwards, and Westlund in that order.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies