Will Kennedy Challenge Shays?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:45:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Kennedy Challenge Shays?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Kennedy Challenge Shays?  (Read 2513 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »

"Another Kennedy is about to run for public office," reports the New York Post. Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) says that his brother, "Ted Kennedy Jr., who lives in New Haven, is eyeing a Connecticut congressional seat."

http://politicalinsider.com/2007/05/kennedy_to_take_on_shays.html
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »

Yah, if he lives in New Haven, he'll have to move into the 4th district to do that.

That would be fun to see.
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »

Yah, if he lives in New Haven, he'll have to move into the 4th district to do that.

That would be fun to see.

Does CT law require that?
Anyway, it would be fun to see that because its not like anyone would care if he moved into the district. He'd only be attacked by out of staters watching the race. Anyway, hed probably be very well funded and win.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »

Sure, he'll be well funded, but I don't think a Kennedy will win here. The 4th has been won by democrats, but it isn't a liberal safe haven, Kerry only won it  52-48.

I would imagine he would have to move, since his residence is in the 3rd district.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »

It doesn't matter which district of CT he actually lives in. I think there are a number of Congressmen who don't live in their district. This last election, the GOP wouldn't shut up about the fact that Melissa Bean doesn't live in her district, for example.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:03:41 PM »

From Wiki:

Edward Moore Kennedy Jr. (born September 26, 1961) is the elder son of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy and Virginia Joan Bennett.

In 1973 cancer was discovered in his right leg. The leg was amputated. On the same day this surgery took place, Ted Sr. gave his niece Kathleen away at her wedding, rushing back to the hospital afterwards. In 1986, a movie called The Ted Kennedy Jr. Story was made for TV which concentrated on this event in Kennedy's life.

He received an undergraduate degree from Wesleyan University, a master’s degree from Yale University, and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Connecticut School of Law (which he attended at night). After graduation he worked at the New Haven, Connecticut law firm of Wiggin & Dana specializing in disability issues. Kennedy is the co-founder and President of the Marwood Group, a business development firm.

He married Katherine Anne "Kiki" Gershman on November 9, 1993, on Block Island, Rhode Island. She is an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the Yale University School of Medicine. They have a daughter, Kiley Elizabeth Kennedy (born August 7, 1994) and a son, Edward Moore Kennedy III (born February 25, 1998).

His name was floated by Connecticut activists in December 2005 as a potential challenger to U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman in the 2006 Connecticut Democratic Primary.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »

It doesn't matter which district of CT he actually lives in. I think there are a number of Congressmen who don't live in their district. This last election, the GOP wouldn't shut up about the fact that Melissa Bean doesn't live in her district, for example.

Depends on state law. Connecticut might require it, IDK.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 03:48:10 PM »

I believe the Constution has all of the requirements (25, citizen for some number of years, resident of said state).
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »

Sure, he'll be well funded, but I don't think a Kennedy will win here. The 4th has been won by democrats, but it isn't a liberal safe haven, Kerry only won it  52-48.

I would imagine he would have to move, since his residence is in the 3rd district.
If Kerry got 52% and he's supposedly more liberal than Ted Kennedy, than i think he has a great chance running as a Ted clone.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »

I believe the Constution has all of the requirements (25, citizen for some number of years, resident of said state).

Yes, but the states can further restrict who can run as long as it isn't deemed discriminatory.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »

Yes, but the states can further restrict who can run as long as it isn't deemed discriminatory.

I'm not sure if they can restrict that. I know that there are definitely some states that have district requirements for all district elections EXCEPT US Representative.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »

In 1973 cancer was discovered in his right leg. The leg was amputated. On the same day this surgery took place, Ted Sr. gave his niece Kathleen away at her wedding, rushing back to the hospital afterwards. In 1986, a movie called The Ted Kennedy Jr. Story was made for TV which concentrated on this event in Kennedy's life.

Seriously?  They made a movie about this?  Did anyone watch?  Sounds like a pretty boring movie to me.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »

If Kerry got 52% and he's supposedly more liberal than Ted Kennedy, than i think he has a great chance running as a Ted clone.

No way is Kerry more liberal than Kennedy.
Conan
conan

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

No way is Kerry more liberal than Kennedy.
Well that was the standard talking point for 3 years...
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »

He has to move into the 4th district. Chris Murphy lived in the 1st district (Represented by John Larson), and had to move to a different town so that he could challenge Johnson back in 06.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »

Well that was the standard talking point for 3 years...

Well, the election is over, so the media has stopped lying about that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »

Chris Shays is a fascist warmongerer.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »

Blah blah blah.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »

"Another Kennedy is about to run for public office," reports the New York Post. Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) says that his brother, "Ted Kennedy Jr., who lives in New Haven, is eyeing a Connecticut congressional seat."

http://politicalinsider.com/2007/05/kennedy_to_take_on_shays.html
There is absolutely no requirement that a candidate for Congress live in his congressional district.  Neither states or Congress have the authority to add additional qualifications to those specified in the Constitution (25 YO; US citizen for 7 years; and an inhabitant of the state when they are elected; and the provisions of the 14th amendment dealing with former rebels).

It is sometimes a political issue.  For example, in 2004, Martin Frost changed his residence so that he could run against Pete Sessions, but failed to update his residence for tax purposes (in Texas, there is a break on property taxes for an owner-occupied residence, as well as protection from debt collection). 

Meanwhile the Frost campaign complained that Session had not lived in the district when he had been elected.  Sessions had been elected in 1996 from District 5 that had included parts of North Dallas but then extended south towards Houston.  The 2002 court-ordered redistricting had created a new District 32 in North Dallas including areas of Session's old district, and maintained other parts of District 5 as a continuing district.  He lived outside the new district but ran for and was elected in the open seat.  Meanwhile Jeb Hensarling was elected in the District 5.

In the 2003 legislative redistricting, District 32 was modified to include Session's residence.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 04:21:25 AM »

Shays survived the New England Republican Massacre of '06, I think he'll be safe next year, even against a Kennedy.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »

Shays survived the New England Republican Massacre of '06, I think he'll be safe next year, even against a Kennedy.

I agree. I love Chris, he's a great man, but there is only one way that I can think of Chris losing in '08, and it's if for some stupid reason, Blumenthal decides to run for Congress instead of waiting to run for Governor in 2010, and we all know that isn't going to happen.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

I agree. I love Chris, he's a great man, but there is only one way that I can think of Chris losing in '08, and it's if for some stupid reason, Blumenthal decides to run for Congress instead of waiting to run for Governor in 2010, and we all know that isn't going to happen.

I waited for that for so long, I've given up hope. He had a great chance in 2002 against Rowland and wasted it.

I haven't thought about Blumenthal running for Congress though, but now that all the seats except Shays are held by Democrats, his best chance would be to challenge Rell in '10 or go for one of the Senate seats when Dodd or he-who-shall-not-be-named retires.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 07:11:53 AM »

I waited for that for so long, I've given up hope. He had a great chance in 2002 against Rowland and wasted it.

I haven't thought about Blumenthal running for Congress though, but now that all the seats except Shays are held by Democrats, his best chance would be to challenge Rell in '10 or go for one of the Senate seats when Dodd or he-who-shall-not-be-named retires.

I don't think that Rell will run for re-election in 2010. I think Blumenthal would make a much better Governor than Senator.  I might vote Rell over Blumenthal, but I'd vote for Blumenthal over Fedele, Simmons, or anyone else who runs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies