The Region - Game Moderator Issues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:59:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Region - Game Moderator Issues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: The Region - Game Moderator Issues  (Read 12620 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »

Actually, I started a debate thread a long time ago.  I think we're ready to vote.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2004, 02:34:28 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2004, 02:34:57 PM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

Actually, I started a debate thread a long time ago.  I think we're ready to vote.

Okey dokey.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2004, 07:09:57 PM »

TV ADVERTISEMENT

*Cue Battle Hymn of the Republic in the Background*
Scene 1
<visual>
   Soldiers in Revolutionary War costume firing flintlock rifles
</visual>
<voiceover>
   The American soldier has always been ready to defend our country.
</voiceover>

Scene 2
<visual>
   The above mentioned soldiers being mowed down by fire from an unseen but very audible machine gun.
</visual>
<voiceover>
   But he should never have to depend upon antiquated weaponry.
</voiceover>

Scene 3
<visual>
   Black screen
</visual>
<voiceover>
   Call your senator today and demand that the Stryker combat vehicle and the Future Combat System be fully funded in the next defense budget.
</voiceover>
Paid for by Americans for a Modern Defense
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2004, 08:10:14 PM »

Americans for a Modern Defense supports the Stryker, an "armored" vehicle that is vulnerable to anything greater than a .50 caliber round.

They also support the FCS, our modern day version of the Sheridan tank/disaster.  At designed to be only 20 tons, there is no way it can survive on the modern battlefield.

However, the Crusader artillery piece provides a highly mobile, highly deployable, artillery weapon.  Unlike the Paladin, it actually has the capability to keep up with an advancing armored column (US armor had to slow their advance during Operation Iraqi Freedom because forward elements had outrun their artillery support).   It is more survivable in chemically contaminated environments as well.

The Crusader is important to our defense, the Strykker and FCS undermine the safety of our troops.  Senators, before you bow down before some special interest group, ask yourselves who is actually funding these ads?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2004, 08:03:31 AM »

* Cue unmemorable music *
<voiceover - This is Morning, with your hosts, Dawn Myers and Mike Eos.>
* End unmemorable music *

Mike: We're here this morning at the very tip of Cape Cod at the Cape Cod National Seashore.
Dawn: We'll be seeing the sights of Provincetown this morning and we'll be treated to an exibition by our US Olympic Beach Volleyball team before they leave for Athens later today.
Mike: But first, back in Studio 54, Ron Burgundy with the news.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2004, 08:45:48 AM »

Ron: I'm Ron Burgundy in Studio 54.
Our lead story comes from Cleveland, Ohio where workers at a General Dynamics plant called on both Senators Akno21 and Demrepdan to save their jobs or lose theirs.

Thanks to Secretary Ford, our plant which was to make the Stryker will be shut down instead.  We just don't see why it has to be a choice between the Stryker and the Crusader.  But we'll soon see whether or not we have true friends of labor in Nym, and if not, replace them in a couple of weeks.

Ron: Also in the news, the AU Peacekeeping Force in Darfur reports that things are generally peaceful, but that a combination of hunge, and lingering fear is still causing refigees to head west to Chad
Ron:And now back to Mike and Dawnin Cape Cod, the lucky stiffs.

Unaware that the camera is still on him, Ron cups his hands to mouth and calls out "AU!"  then thumps his chest asking "Me?" then laughs to himself as the scene finally returns to our hosts on Cape Cod.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2004, 09:35:11 AM »

Dawn:
We're here on Cape Cod with Misty May and Kerri Walsh who will represent the US in Athens for Beach Volleyball.

They then proceed to start a demonstration game against Sawn and Mike, but a fter a could of couple of points there is a bright flash out in Massachusetts Bay, and with crys of alarm coming from the people there as the camera pans out over the water showing:

After about a mnute, a dull, roaring boom is heard.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2004, 10:16:35 AM »

WBM - Channel 37 News - Boston
FLASH!
A giant flash occurred this morning in the diresction of Cape Cod.  More information as it becomes available.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2004, 10:22:08 AM »

I knew something would happen!  I knew it I knew it I knew it!

ADVERTISEMENT
RBCing you in Cape Cod!Join hosts Dawn Myers and Mike Eos this Monday morning as they begin their East Coast tour of vacation getaways by hosting Morning from Cape Cod.  It's morning televison you won't want to miss!
Scheduled for 9AM EDT on your local RBC station unless the producer is late getting the computer cranked up.

I suspect something major will happen in Cape Cod Smiley
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2004, 12:04:06 PM »

We're not choosing between Stryker and Crusader.  The Stryker is a death trap and the Crusader can be bought with that money.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2004, 02:55:31 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2004, 02:56:41 PM by Governor ilikeverin »

Governor .Andrew and Lt. Governor Siege... what's going on with regards to the possible nuclear explosion off Cape Cod?  WE NEED A REPORT!

EDIT: Never mind.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2004, 02:33:29 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2004, 05:08:48 PM by GM Ernest »

The Columbia Rewind
August 10, 2004

Natural Gas Prices Surge in Wake of Hamburg Trinidad Explosion
(Routers) New York, NY
Spot and future prices for natural gas surged over 40%  to almost $7.50 per MBtu on the NYMEX today and prices for oil moved up on sympathy, but not as steeply to almost $55 per barrel.  Energy industry analysts predict that there will be increased security costs that will remain present after the current fear premium fades.  How soon that premium fades will depend in part on how long the Boston LNG port remains closed.

MPA Closes LNG Terminal
(Routers) Boston, MA
Michael Leone, head of the Massachusetts Port Authority indicated that until he could be satisfied that there was no chance of a repeat of yesterday's explosion, the Boston LNG terminal would remained closed.  "Given a choice between the income of running the terminal and the safety of the people of this fine Commonwealth, the MPA, as it always has, must put safety first.  Yesterday's explosion was too close for comfort."

Hamburg-Arabia Line Owner Shocked
(Routers) Beiruit, Lebanon
Ali Spenda Moni, who had recently acquired the Hamburg-Arabia Line expressed through a spokesman shock over what had befallen the Hamburg Trinidad.  He indicated that he would gladly cooperate with the appropriate authorities to help determine how such a calamity occurred.  He indicated that neither of the two possibilities, a horrible accident or terrorism were particularly reassuring as both cast the Hamburg-Arabia Line in a poor light.

Darfur Quiet For Now
(Routers) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Au officials indicated pleasure in the swift end of violence in the Darfur now that AU peacekeepers were now fully deployed.  Off the record, senior officials indicated that the threatened US action may have encouraged the Sudanese to move more quickly than they otherwise would have, but on the record they pointed to the operation so far as a key AU success and hoped that the talks between the Sudanese government and the SPLM that were suspended because of the Darfur crisis would soon resume.
Justin
United States

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2004, 05:45:26 PM »

As A legislator in the Northeast Senate, there will be a hearing demanded as this explosion. If the government was complacent in anyway, That could be grounds for a no confidence vote.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2004, 10:49:36 AM »

The Region
August 11, 2004 - Columbia, SC

SCANA  Asks For Rate Hike
by The Region staff
SCANA , the parent company of SCE&G, has filed a request for an increase in its electric rates with the state PSC (Public Service Commission).  According to a company spokesman, te reason for the request is the current turmoil in the natural gas market. "The rates paid by the consumer will be increasing anyway, due to the increase in matural gas prices, but we are experiencing shortfalls in supply as well, due to the closure of the Boston LNG port which is keeping us from using our natural gas powered generators as much as we would like.  This is increasing our capital costs in ways that the fuel cost adjustments simply don't cover which is why we're asking for this rate increase.  We're actually more fortunate than a lot of places in that we generate only a small portion of our electricity from natural gas.  People who live in areas where a greater proportion of their electricity is generated using natural gas are likely to see their electric bills go up by 30 to 50%.  We might even see some California-style rolling blackouts in the northeast if they get a heat wave this summer.

Yemen Accuses Eritrea of Piracy
(Routers) Sanna, Yemen
The Yemeni government accused the Eritrean Navy of seozing and even sinking innocent Yemeni vessels near the Hanish Islands.  Erotrea has recently acquired with US assistance several new gunboats with which it has been enforcing its claim to the Hanish Islands as recognized by the ICJ in 1999.

Stalled Sudanese Talks Resume
(Routers) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
With a tense tranquility apparently restored to Darfur by an AU peacekeeping force, the nearly completed talks between the Sudanese government and the SPLM (Sudanese People's Liberation Movement) resumed today in Addis Ababa.  The truce between the northern government and the southern rebels had managed to hold despite the break in the peace talks caused by the situation in Darfur.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2004, 11:15:32 AM »

Gas prices skyrocketing, Oil at over $50 a barrel, the Dow under 10,000--recurring attacks on the homeland while the military is increasingly committed abroad...one wonders how long President Gustaf's popular approval numbers can last!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2004, 10:12:20 AM »

The Region
August 12, 2004

Jamaican Forces Battle Atlasian Mercenaries in Mountains
(Routers) Kingston, Jamaica
Jamaican forces wages a fierce battle in the mountains of Jamaica Wednesday with a small but determined band of well-armed mercenaries.  Suffering well over 100 casualties, Jamican forces have reportedly killed 21 and captured 5  mercenaries of the self-styled Jamaican Army of Revolution.  According to a Defense Ministry spokesman, "Iit is clear that these mercenaries were recruited from Atlasia.  Until we can determine who is responsible, we are suspending all flights to and from Atlasia and imposing an embargo on the export of Blue Mountain coffee to Atlasia."

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2004, 11:16:13 PM »

I am going to have to resign as GM effectively immediately.
My sister has unexpectedly ended up in the hospital and while she should be out in a couple of days barring any complications, she will having to stay with me for a while when she gets out.  As such I simply will not have the time needed to be GM fo a while.  Pretty much everything except the Jamaican Army of the Revolution is at a point where ending the few remaining plot threads now won't matter too much.  (The Sudan thread has been resolved for now, altho as of yet only the administration is aware of the resolution, but other than you won't have to worry for now about our guys and gals dying in Sudan, I'll leave the details for later.)  I'll write up a critique of the events surrounding the Hamburg Trinidad as I have time.

For those of you who believe in the efficacy of prayer, my sister's elbow will no doubt appreciate it immensely, but as for myself, any tips on getting bloodstains out of carpet would also be appreciated.  She took a tumble down the stairs where she lives and broke her fall with her elbow, causing a very nasty compound fracture.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2004, 11:23:31 PM »

Im so sorry to hear that Ernest, I hope that everything turns out alright.

You have been a great GM though!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2004, 11:29:32 PM »

I agree that you've been a great GM, and I hope your sister gets better.  Your attention to detail was (frustrating at times) impressive beyond words.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2004, 08:07:47 AM »

you were great Ernest.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2004, 05:55:01 PM »

We need a new GM!  Ernest is going to be a tough act to follow.

Well, the last time I nominated someone for this job, that person didn't work out the greatest.  But I'm going to make a suggestion, anyways.  What do you all think about Niles Caulder for the job?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2004, 06:16:02 PM »

Well, I have some time tonight, so let me go over the threads involved in the Hamburg Trinidad explosion.

The Region
July 16, 2004 - Columbia, Southeast

Sex in the Senate
(Routers) Nym, DC
Rumor indicates that a former intern will be filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against a Senator on Monday, but sources conflict on which Senator will be implicated in what may be the most salacious scandal since the Lewinsky affair.

The original idea was that this intern would turn out on invstigation to be related to a prominent member of Al Qaeda, but lack of interest caused me to modify this to an aspiring scriptwriter trying to bring her script to reality.  I have come to the conclusion that trying to use sex scandals as a GM plot device just simply won't work on this forum.  I recommend that any future GM avoid this type of plot device.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2004, 06:25:04 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2004, 07:27:37 PM by Ernest »

The Region

Axle of Evil is Oiled
(Routers) Tehran, Iran
Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zangeneh announced today a new trade deal that would supply North Korea with thirty million barrels of oil per year for the next five years. This reprresents the sum total of curent oil imports made by North Korea today, but it remains to be seen if this represents a decision by the Pyongyang government to depend upon Iranian oil for its imports or to increase the usage of petroleum which was scaled back after deliveries of subsidized fuel oil under the Agreed Framework ended in November 2002, after the disclosure of North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

This story gave a chance for Ali Spenda Moni and the Hamburg Arabia Line to be brought to attention rather early had the government chosen to investigate this.  Also the whole North Korean thread gave numerous chances for distractions, but unless the government really overreacted to what the North Koreans did, there was only going to be sizzle but no steak from the North Koreans, which is appropriate considering the food shortages the DPRK has suffered from. Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »

The Region

New Security Measures Locking Up Some Ports
{Routers) Boston, MA
Michael Leone, head of the Massachusetts Port Authority and the American Association of Port Authorities indicated at a press conference today that the new security regulations tha went into effect on 1 July were causing localized probems at some ports due to inadequate staffing.  "Most ports are still handling cargo ina timely manner despite the new security checks," he said, "but several of our busiest ports, especially Long Beach, Jacksonville, and Boston are suffering from delays of over a day due to inadequate staffing.  Just-in-time inventory management requires predicatable shipping times.  Most shippers factored in some extra time for the first few days of the new security operations, but the persistent delays at a few ports are impairing the efficiency of our economy."

This was a crucial thread as it provided the easiest but not the only way to stop the Hamburg Trinidad from blowing up in Boston Harbor.  The extra forces deployed kept the loss of life to aminimum and depite several later attempts on my part to tempt the administation to redeploy them elsewhere, they remained in place.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2004, 06:35:03 PM »

The Region

Vanna Takes a Spin
{Routers) Miami, FL
The National Hurricanne Center announced the formation of Tropical Storm Vanna off the Cape Verde Islands.  According to a spokesman, while it is unusual for a storm to form so far to the east this earkly in the season, it isn't unheard of.  It is expected to be at least a week before Vanna could first threaten land somewhere in the Lesser Antilles, but already the tourist islands of the Caribbean are bracing for the economic impact that even a threatened strm can cause them.

Vanna was largely a distraction, but she also served as something I could use to control the tempo in a logical fashion as several details of what happened later were dependent upon Vanna having reached a certain location first.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies