The problem with importing cheap labor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:49:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The problem with importing cheap labor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The problem with importing cheap labor  (Read 2372 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »

That's because you aren't going to find one, just like I'm not going to find an apology from you.  But keep up your personal attacks while you try to avoid discussing the two paragraphs you referenced.  THAT I find amusing, unlike a cop being killed in the line of duty.  Seems like you are wrong again.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »

That's because you aren't going to find one, just like I'm not going to find an apology from you.  But keep up your personal attacks while you try to avoid discussing the two paragraphs you referenced.  THAT I find amusing, unlike a cop being killed in the line of duty.  Seems like you are wrong again.

Twp seperate items.

First, you sound a lot like Bart Simpson with your "you cann't prove I did it" rant.

Second, you never attempted to discuss the two paragraphs I quoted, but rather hijacted the thread with skilled labor.

So, are you now suggesting we should import unskilled labor rather than investing in improved technology?

Or are you just going to do a victory dance at having been able to eliminate the evidence?

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 09:13:27 PM »

hahaha . . . why are you running from what you posted?  It is discussing legal immigration for skilled labor.  Foreign skilled labor, no matter the industry, will tend to be cheaper than domestic labor.  The fact that you cannot accept that legal immigrants are different from illegal immigrants, and are not necessary murderers or criminals, is your own problem which you need to deal with. 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 11:42:57 PM »

hahaha . . . why are you running from what you posted?  It is discussing legal immigration for skilled labor.  Foreign skilled labor, no matter the industry, will tend to be cheaper than domestic labor.  The fact that you cannot accept that legal immigrants are different from illegal immigrants, and are not necessary murderers or criminals, is your own problem which you need to deal with. 

First, as you know, I have previously (and rather extensively) noted the distinctions between legal and illegal aliens in this country.

Second, this thread was about low skill labor, and the law permitting their importation, and the lack of need for that importation.

Third, if you want to start a thread about legal aliens, please go ahead and start one.

Fourth, please stop trying to conflate two seperate categories.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »

The amendment to remove the guest workers failed. These are the 31 Senators who voted to remove the guest worker program:

Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Byrd (D-WV)
Casey (D-PA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Coburn (R-OK)
Conrad (D-ND)
Dorgan (D-ND)
   Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Vitter (R-LA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00174

They tended to be the more liberal Democrats, but there are some exceptions.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 02:28:10 AM »

The amendment to remove the guest workers failed. These are the 31 Senators who voted to remove the guest worker program:

Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Byrd (D-WV)
Casey (D-PA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Coburn (R-OK)
Conrad (D-ND)
Dorgan (D-ND)
   Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Vitter (R-LA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00174

They tended to be the more liberal Democrats, but there are some exceptions.

Sad to say it lost.

Notice that Senator Nelson (Nebraska) voted for the measure!

What I am told is that many Senators do not want to enrage big business and will vote for the Bingaman amendment as a compromise.

These idiots would have taken Solomon's proposal to cut the baby in half as a 'reasonable' compromise.

Also, I am told that there could have been approximately two dozen Republicans to vote for this amendment if the liberals had been willing to committ to support any one of three amendments supported by conservative Republicans:

1.) Official English
2.) Really build the border fence
3.) Real employer sanctions

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »

It probably would have still gotten rejected. The Senate just voted 48-49 to reject an amendment putting a 5 year sunset clause on (one of?) the guest worker program. It was a fairly party line vote, with most Democrats in favor, and most Republicans oppose.

Party line breakers:
Republicans for:
Coburn, Corker, Grassley, Inhofe, Sessions, Shelby, Sununu, Thune, Vitter
Democrats against:
Akaka, Cantwell, Carper, Feinstein, Kennedy, Kerry, Lincoln, Menendez, Salazar,

Lieberman also voted against it.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00178
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 03:07:28 PM »

It probably would have still gotten rejected. The Senate just voted 48-49 to reject an amendment putting a 5 year sunset clause on (one of?) the guest worker program. It was a fairly party line vote, with most Democrats in favor, and most Republicans oppose.

Party line breakers:
Republicans for:
Coburn, Corker, Grassley, Inhofe, Sessions, Shelby, Sununu, Thune, Vitter
Democrats against:
Akaka, Cantwell, Carper, Feinstein, Kennedy, Kerry, Lincoln, Menendez, Salazar,

Lieberman also voted against it.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00178

I have a suggestion.

When you do the breakdown on Senate votes in the future you might want to divide it by year facing the voters.

I suspect that support for the bill will tend to be highest among those not scheduled to face the voters until 2012, and lowest among those having to face the voters next year.

The closeness of this vote encourages me that in the House of Representatives, where organized labor has more influence, and big business less influence, such an amendment will pass.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies