WHY EUROPEANS ARE DEMS!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:32:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  WHY EUROPEANS ARE DEMS!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WHY EUROPEANS ARE DEMS!  (Read 9444 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »

HEY! I just realized one of the most important reasons for foreigners being pro-Dem. We're most interested in foreign policy, since we don't live in the US, don't have to pay your taxes, etc. And on foreign policy, well, Democrats tend to like Europe, Republicans tend to despise all other countries in the world.

I made this a thread of it's own, b/c the other was getting buried, and I think everyone should see it, since it seems to have evoced a lot of feelings... Smiley
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 05:10:27 PM »

Hey I'm a  republican and I don't hate Europe or the rest of the world with the execption of France
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 05:11:04 PM »

Just kidding I don't hate France
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 05:22:26 PM »

I don't like France, few people do, so it's OK... Wink

Nice to hear, there are alwaus exceptions to prove the rule, I guess... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 05:40:18 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2005, 06:08:11 PM by Peter Bell »

If you say so...I must say that after the discussion I had on this thread it seemed true enough. I actually thought it was a stereotype uptil then. But so far MarkDel and 9Iron768 has turned out differently, so perhaps I'm wrong. I would hope so. But I think a lot of Republicans do fot into that stereotype, I'm afraid. Which is very sad, imo.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 05:43:05 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2005, 06:08:54 PM by Peter Bell »

Hehe...I'm afraid you proved the wrong point, these 2 were infact the NON-Europe haters that I have so far encountered. (Though I am hoping for you as well, since you're debating this).
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 05:47:16 PM »

There's a difference between hating and disagreeing with Europe
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 05:47:17 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2005, 06:11:03 PM by Peter Bell »

See? Even those who are pro-Europe you percieve as anti-Europe! Now what does that tell you?Huh? Wink
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 05:59:31 PM »

Although I do disagree with Europe and other countries(And my own state Wink ) I in no way hate them.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 06:04:04 PM »

I just want to point out that I never said hate, i used the word despise... Wink

There's a difference between hating and disagreeing with, of course, but a lot of people seem not to take that distinction too seriously. Dare I say "Freedom Fries"?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 06:05:48 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2005, 06:14:15 PM by Peter Bell »

I knew you would reveal your true nature eventually! Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 06:48:58 AM »

I just want to point out that I never said hate, i used the word despise... Wink

There's a difference between hating and disagreeing with, of course, but a lot of people seem not to take that distinction too seriously. Dare I say "Freedom Fries"?

Now that stupid Freedom Fries thing got widely reported in Europe at the time, and I wonder how many of you Americans agreed with it back then and how many of you even heard of it. I don't know if this got reported this widely in America...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2004, 07:57:35 AM »

HEY! I just realized one of the most important reasons for foreigners being pro-Dem. We're most interested in foreign policy, since we don't live in the US, don't have to pay your taxes, etc. And on foreign policy, well, Democrats tend to like Europe, Republicans tend to despise all other countries in the world.

I made this a thread of it's own, b/c the other was getting buried, and I think everyone should see it, since it seems to have evoced a lot of feelings... Smiley

I don't 'despise' other countries.  I live abroad for gosh sakes - in Thailand - at least half the year.  I always say I would hate to be *from* anywhere other than the US, but I have to admit I  often prefer living elsewhere.  Europe is a great place to visit or live - if you can afford it.  What a terribly expensive place (I lived in Geneva for 6 mo. once).  The only countries I have a problem with are generally the more extreme Muslim ones, due to the unpleasantness of visiting an oppressed place.  A lot of what is fun in life is simply not allowed in much of the Middle East, and then there's the higher likelihood of being a target.  However having a bit of a phobia for certain countries isn't the same as despising them.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 09:45:42 AM »

I didn't support calling French Fries "Freedom Fries"... as changing "French" to "Freedom" would imply that France has something to do with freedom.  Instead, I would call them "Fried potatoes that have distanced themselves from the dictatorship-sympathizing French bastards"... but perhaps that is too long of an order for McDonalds Smiley

Now that stupid Freedom Fries thing got widely reported in Europe at the time, and I wonder how many of you Americans agreed with it back then and how many of you even heard of it. I don't know if this got reported this widely in America...

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 09:53:31 AM »

Why not call them "Chips" like we do?
Or Belgian Fries? They were invented in Belgium after all...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2004, 10:20:55 AM »

Are you caving in to JR's quoting policy? Are we losing you to the dark side?

Thanks for supporting me, and if you wanna live ina world with "Fried potatoes that have distanced themselves from the dictatorship-sympathizing French bastards", be my guest... Wink

I didn't support calling French Fries "Freedom Fries"... as changing "French" to "Freedom" would imply that France has something to do with freedom.  Instead, I would call them "Fried potatoes that have distanced themselves from the dictatorship-sympathizing French bastards"... but perhaps that is too long of an order for McDonalds Smiley

Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2004, 11:36:25 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2004, 11:40:32 AM by Huckleberry Finn »

I can agree Gustaf's view in current situation, but not in general. In Cold War decades there were generally good  cooperation and spirit between European politician (both leftists and conservatives) and Republican government's. Especially Bush elder had great relationship with Europe.

I think that most Europeans who have moderate way to think. (conservatives, social democrats, liberals) admit that USA foreign policy has been mostly positive effect for World and especially for Europe. (WWI, WWII, Cold war, Marshall’s aid, Korea, Balkan, Afghanistan etc.)

In Europe there are always been and always will be people in far left and in far right who hate America. I have argued over them millions of times and spend hours and hours to speaking for your foreign policy and positive historical role of USA.

And that is one reason why I got mad after Markdel's question why we Europeans are here with "anti-USA" views. I could be very critical about some Bush's politics (like war crime court and Iraq) but that doesn't make me Anti-American.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2004, 11:52:08 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2005, 06:16:23 PM by Peter Bell »

Exactly. I didn't mean to talk about the Cold War, I was talking of the present situtation. I too have spent a lot of time supporting the US in debates. I think many who are pro-America like me are worried about the relationship between the US and, well, the rest of the world, basically.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »

Btw. I have many friends (here in Finland) who support Bush's Iraq-policy. One of them threatened to come to this forum and give me a lesson!!!  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2004, 11:57:29 AM »

Btw. I have many friends (here in Finland) who support Bush's Iraq-policy. One of them threatened to come to this forum and give me a lesson!!!  

Well, it's always nice to have more Scandinavians around! Smiley
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 12:02:31 PM »

Well. We'll see is he really coming.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2004, 06:10:51 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2004, 06:27:23 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

I think Gustaf has a point, though it's not quite as simple as he put it. I don't think Republicans hate Europe, neither do I think they're hardcore nationalists like the media over here makes them out to be. It's a caricature, as Mr. Fresh pointed out. There is an extremist element to the GOP, but it's so small it's insignificant. The vast majority of Republicans are moderates like MarkDel or Supersoulty.

Still, Republican administrations do tend to be more bellicose and unilateralist than Democratic ones (please bear in mind that I'm speaking relatively), which consequently means that a Democratic administration acts more in Europe's direct interest (and also appeals to Europe's post-WW2 pacifism). And then there's the question of PR. Take Clinton. He knew how to sell himself to Europeans. He'd lived here so he knew what we like most about Americans; thus he portrayed himself as a guy who is cool, suave, straight-talking, rock'n'roll. And people here loved him for it. Bush of course is the polar opposite to Clinton in that respect, but that's really another thread entirely.

Huck Finn has a point about the Cold War, even though Thatcher was the only European leader who really saw eye to eye with Reagan. Mitterand and Kohl never quite warmed to him; ditto Brandt and Heath compared to Nixon. In fact, their relationship (or rather lack of it) could easily have resulted in a colder diplomatic climate similar to the one we are seeing now between Chirac/Schroeder and Bush, had it not been for the common bond of Nato or rather the threat represented by Soviet Russia.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »

Uhhh hate to tell you this but your very very wrong as someone who has a very big european background I am offended by you saying Republicans dispise Europe. I disagreed with France, Germany and Russia does that make me dispise them? No. Also I do know of quite a few europeans that pretty much really dislike any American President(including Bill Clinton).

So Gustaf I'm sorry but theres no way you can convince me that Republicans dispise europe.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2004, 10:04:46 AM »

Uhhh hate to tell you this but your very very wrong as someone who has a very big european background I am offended by you saying Republicans dispise Europe. I disagreed with France, Germany and Russia does that make me dispise them? No. Also I do know of quite a few europeans that pretty much really dislike any American President(including Bill Clinton).

So Gustaf I'm sorry but theres no way you can convince me that Republicans dispise europe.

Hmmm...it seems like my post evoced much stronger reactions than I thought it would. I am happy to see that I might have been wrong, previous discussions on Europe on this forum gave me that impression. I would like to point out that I never used the word hate though, and I of course did  not mean avery Republican. It seems like it might even not be a majority, in which case I am happy! Smiley

It's still the way mane Europeans percieve it to be, though.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2004, 12:28:41 PM »

I certainly don't think Republican's hate Europe, if they had, would Reagan have even bothered about it in his foreign policy? Being a Centre Left European, I give credit where credit is due. I do not like President Bush, but I did like his father and President Reagan, just as I admire Margaret Thatcher here in the UK. I would not dare say (as some fools have recently) that 'I Hate America' simply because Bush is prez. I would say that I love America because they have a system that allows Bush to be kicked out! I agree there can be some confusion. Tony Blair for instance is championed by the Neo-Cons, yet his actual policy positions in general would make Howard Dean seem cuddly to the Republicans, but to say they have a general disregard for Europe is naive.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies