Senate Appointment Scenario
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:05:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Senate Appointment Scenario
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Nominee Would You, as Governor, Appoint to the Senate?
John Mayard

Taylor Donnaly

Donald Burgess

Bruce Scott

E. Woodrow Emersen

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Senate Appointment Scenario  (Read 1175 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2007, 03:44:23 PM by Senator PBrunsel »

Congratulations! In this thread you are the two-term veteran Democratic Governor of Missouri! Now you can use the term “Show Me” in every other sentence and compare yourself to Harry Truman to stay in the office of Governor. Your current scenario stands like this:

The current Democratic Senior Senator, Lloyd Stark Cunningham, has died in office! Yes, it is tragic, and now you have to appoint his replacement. In the world of politics, the Senate is 51-49 in the Democrats favor and you have eyes on the White House in the 2008 Election. The Democratic establishment, progressive activists, political bosses, idealist reformers, Republicans, and local businessmen all have their candidates, completer with plusses and minuses. With the Senate balance and your own political ambitions in mind along with the will of your state and its people, which of the following candidates would you nominate to replace the late Senator Cunningham?

The nominees:

John Mayard: John Mayard, 57,  has represented the Fourth District of Missouri since 1983, and is the candidate the Democratic establishment and labor unions. Known as a dependable liberal with a very pro-labor, pro-protectionist voting record, Mayard would be a bland Senator who would appease Senate Majority Leader Reid’s want of a trusted rubber stamp for the Democratic Party. The problem with Senator Cunningham, according to national Democratic leadership, was that he was a maverick on such issues as raising the minimum wage and expanding the Bush tax cuts, Mayard would be just another Democratic Senator, and would be trusted to walk hand-in-hand with the Senate leadership. In short, Democratic constituents won’t mind him, but they won’t celebrate in the streets if he is selected as the new Senator.

Taylor Donnaly: The State Treasurer since 2003, Taylor Donnaly, 43, is the son of the powerful (and notorious) Kansas City political boss “Clever Clyde” Donnaly. “Clever Clyde” has been your political ally since you first ran for State Representative 30-years ago, and now he wants his son in the Senate as payback for all he’s done for you over the years.  To appoint Donnaly would help you send a trusted ally to Washington, D.C., which would help your campaign for president, but also it could label you as a “machine man” who allowed a corrupt “boss” to bully you into appointing a Senator.  However to not appoint Donnaly could lead his dad Clyde to spill his guts to the media about the “seamy things” you may (or may not) have done for him while you were in public office. Donnaly would be an energetic Senator, but would take marching orders from his father back in Kansas City. Your constituents (outside of Clever Clyde’s Kansas City) most likely will not approve of this appointment, but the Kansas City constituency might reward you with considerable campaign contributions, including Clyde Donnaly.

Donald Burgess: The former Governor of Missouri (from 1993-2001), Donald Burgess, 66, would prove to be a choice that is a double-edged sword. He is a man of integrity, honesty, who served his eight years as Governor with an average approval rating of 62% and worked well with both parties, however, he is a Republican. He is a Conservative in the mold of Senator Kit Bond, and he is proud of his political stands. Still very popular with the masses of rural voters in Missouri, Governor Burgess’ appointment would appease these voters and perhaps show to the nation that you are really a “bipartisan” reformer, which is something everyone of the 2008 candidates is calling themselves. Senator Reid has already told you a million times that he will not be happy with the appointment of Burgess, since he would caucus with the GOP and give the Senate a 50-50 tie, with Vice-President Cheney making it a majority for the opposition Republicans. Polling reveals that Burgess is supported for Senate by a majority of Missourians, but, then again, he is the only Republican in consideration. The greatest fear is that by appointing Burgess, the national Democratic Party will crush you in the 2008 primaries for costing their party the Senate.

Bruce Scott: A progressive Democratic State Senator, Bruce Scott, 46, is supported by Planned Parenthood, NARAL, the NAACP, the ACLU, and The Nation magazine. Known for his unconditional support of gay marriage, immediate withdrawal from Iraq, a woman’s right to choose, the impeachment of President Bush and Vice-President Cheney, and universal health care, Scott has never been a favorite of the Missouri Democratic Party. “He’s just too loud,” many Show Me State Democrats have said, but progressive activists are in love with this fiery liberal activist. To appoint Scott to the seat would help you appeal to progressive Democrats, but also alienate conservative Democrats in your own home state, as well as nationwide. There is also another pitfall: Scott is an atheists who has shown some contempt for organized religion. To appoint an atheist to the Senate could appeal to some more progressive crowds, but alienate religious voters, like those in South Carolina and other Southern states.   

E. Woodrow Emersen: Elisha Woodrow Emersen, 61, is a successful entrepreneur who is known as a big donor to your many run for office in Missouri. He now wants you to pay him back with a Senate seat. With the backing of the Bete Business Bureau and the Small Business Association of America, Emersen seems to be an oddball choice. Having never held elected office, Emersen has donated to both Republicans and Democrats (as well as to the Perot campaign in 1992 and 1996) and is considered too untested to be appointed to the Senate. No one can be sure if Emersen, though a life long Democrat, will vote with the Democratic majority (or even caucus with them). On the bright side, he has many wealthy friends who will donate to your campaign for President if you appoint him to the Senate. In politics, money is everything, so appointing Emersen to the Senate might be a risky bet, but it could also pay off. Perhaps you appoint Emersen, get money from him and his friends, and hope he stays a loyal Democrat while being a Senator. If he goes maverick on you, than the wrath of the national party might crush your presidential ambitions.

The choice is yours Mr. Governor, the party, the press, and, most importantly, the people, await your decision.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:49:33 PM »

Donnaly, because I'm a loyal motherer
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2007, 11:32:44 PM by Lawrence Watson »

Although secretly I'd love to appoint Bruce Scott, Paul, the fact remains I'm Governor of Missouri. The pragmatic choice for the party would be John Mayard, and he'd be the one I'd go with.

My political ally Clyde Donnaly's son would be given a spot as one of my personal secretaries or some other campaign position such as Fianances.

Mr. Emerson would be given position as campaign treasurer, due to his seeming qualifications.

State Senator Scott would deliver a speech at the convention, although instructed to tone down some of his more alienating positions.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 01:01:11 AM »

Emerson would be my choice because he gets me bipartisan points without having to appoint a Republican and he seems to be the most independent minded Democrat of the lot.  All the others seem to have ties to unsavory and/or overzealous organizations and/or people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 04:48:20 AM »

Mayard, obviously.  Not only is he the safe choice, but I like his name.  I picture him as a Dick Durbin - one of my favorite senators.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »

Last night I ran this scenario across my best friend, who managed all my campaigns in high school.

He chose Emersen first, but stated if it upset Clyde Donnaly, he would appoint his son over Emersen...

I enjoyed his answers because he always runs a "machine" style political campaign.

I look forward to more of these.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »

Mayard
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »

I can not understand why anyone would appoint a senator, from a different party, that would change the balance of power in the Senator against your party's favor?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »

Why do you keep digging up old threads that have no relevance?  Are you Stark?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies