Could Santorum have won? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:45:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Santorum have won? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Santorum have won?  (Read 6169 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: May 21, 2007, 11:41:16 PM »

No.   He got his ass kicked by too much in SEPA for it to matter.  A liberal Democrat would have helped Santorum out west, but it would have not been enough to make up for the slaughter he took in SEPA.   Santorum lost STPA by about 36 points, in comparison Bush lost SEPA by 26 points in 2004 and lost the state by 2.5 points. 

Due to how bad Santorum got his ass handed to him in SEPA their is virtually no way a Feingold type of liberal would have lost to him.   He would have improved on his numbers out west, no question about that, but it would not have been nearly enough to win due to the utter thumping he received in the SE
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »

Casey neutralized too many of Santorum's advantages in the west among conservative Democrats, and in the T to a lesser extent. He took the abortion and the gun issues off the table and combined that with an incredible name ID. In short, Casey gave many Democrats a reason to come home.

Santorum was also hurt by the stories about him possibly running for president, and the issue with his kids and going to school in Virginia. He looked like he was getting too big for the state. In that atmosphere, Casey couldn't have been a better foil.

I don't know how Santorum tried to cultivate a relationship with voters in SEPA, but I think he probably should have paid more attention to that area. They may not like his pro-life stands, but Santorum ought to have stressed other issues that he and moderate Republicans agree on, like taxes.  In general, Republicans need to watch these moderate suburbs. They've been going south for them, and that's not good.

In general, I think Santorum lost his rapport with PA voters. Something goes wrong when you get flushed out of as many areas as he did. I don't know how he could have won, but he didn't seem to have his pulse on what the voters were thinking.

Tax cuts for the very wealthy weren't exactly on the minds of SEPA voters as the most important issue or issues heading into the midterms last year.  Wouldn't have mattered how much Santorum tried to play and push that card.  His social views, his views on Iraq as well as being a very close ally of Bush destroyed him there.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:08 AM »

Yes, I think he could have done. Just. Not against Casey though.

Look at his thumping in the SE.  That occurs basically no matter who his opponent is.  Those margins are just too much to makeup
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies