Iraq... Iran... whats the difference? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:18:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iraq... Iran... whats the difference? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iraq... Iran... whats the difference?  (Read 2700 times)
M

« on: July 17, 2004, 05:23:31 PM »

Both as by far the world's largest sponsor of terrorism (yes, even compared to the Saudis), and as the less rational of the two rogue states currently developing nukes, Iran is the premier threat to the West at this juncture in history. I do think that either the United States or Israel (both have the capability, poth have different strategic and political pros and cons to such an action) should stage a mega-Osirak-style bomb raid against Iranian reactors. These tend to be located underground, but could be reached with daisy-cutters, MOABs, and their descendants, all laser-guided, so that the radiation would be trapped underground and hopefully have few or no civilian casualties. Other than that, I recommend we wait for the Iranian democratic revolution; it is even possible that the raid itself would be the same kind of shcock as the Guerra de las Malvinas in Argentina and lead to a near immediate restoration of democracy.

But a giant, overland or amphibious, massive operation a la Iraq to occupy, pacify, and restructure the entire country, at the cost of, I would guess, between 10,000 and 30,000 allied lives? This should be avoided in almost any cases, unless for some reason it appears to be the only real method of preventing the Iranians from acquiring and using atomic weaponry. Only then would that cost be justified.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies