top public high schools in the nation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:53:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  top public high schools in the nation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: top public high schools in the nation  (Read 6894 times)
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/site/newsweek/

i just think its funny that 15 out of the top 20 are in the South.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:18:42 PM »

Wow, TC Williams completely fell out of the top 100.  That is a surprise. 

10 of the schools listed are in VA.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2007, 02:26:04 PM by Verily »

Some schools are clearly missing from the list. Seven public high schools in my county made the list (Creskill, Ridgewood, Tenafly, Teaneck, Glen Rock, Pascack Hills Regional and Fair Lawn), but the county magnet school, Bergen County Academies, which is easily better than all of them, didn't. I think DWTL will back me up on that.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »

You mean Oley Valley High School (mine) isnt on the list? BUT ITZ SOOOO KOOL!!!11!1!!!!1! Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:27:51 PM »

Its good to see two schools from Oklahoma in the top 100 -- Classen School of Advanced Studies in Oklahoma City at 63 and Booker T. Washington in Tulsa at 75.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 03:28:10 PM »

Some schools are clearly missing from the list. Seven public high schools in my county made the list (Creskill, Ridgewood, Tenafly, Teaneck, Glen Rock, Pascack Hills Regional and Fair Lawn), but the county magnet school, Bergen County Academies, which is easily better than all of them, didn't. I think DWTL will back me up on that.

Yeah your right Verily kids try like hell to get in their and then it's not there.  Idk if you'd know this Verily but all of the schools you listed also have stellar tennis teams with Tenafly (23-0), Fair Lawn, Ridgewood winning their sections and advancing.  Creskill, Glen Rock, and Pascack Hills were all high seeds.  But Bergen Academy not there really surprises me.  My aunt teaches at Tenafly so I'm surprised they got anywhere at all.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 03:56:39 PM »

I have a feeling this ranking punishes upward outliers, using their own tests (or else, some schools refused to participate). NY, clearly, is missing its best schools (they aren't even in the second hundred).
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »

I think it's hilarious only 1 school in Michigan is in the top 200.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:08:25 PM »

My HS did pretty well on equity and excellence.

Obviously the list isn't complete, where is the Bronx HS of Science? It seems that they skipped the NYC schools.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »

My school is 879.  I think that's down maybe 100 from last year, but I'm not sure.  Oh well, out of all the high schools in the country that's pretty good.

Edit: Nevermind.  It's actually up from 1072 last year (the year before that it wasn't even on the list and in 2003 it was 628).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2007, 04:59:05 PM by Verily »

Yeah your right Verily kids try like hell to get in their and then it's not there.  Idk if you'd know this Verily but all of the schools you listed also have stellar tennis teams with Tenafly (23-0), Fair Lawn, Ridgewood winning their sections and advancing.  Creskill, Glen Rock, and Pascack Hills were all high seeds.  But Bergen Academy not there really surprises me.  My aunt teaches at Tenafly so I'm surprised they got anywhere at all.

All of those towns (except Teaneck, which seemed out of place on that list) have a lot of money, so good tennis teams aren't surprising. Tennis is one of those sports played mostly by people wealthy enough to afford to go to private courts or even to have their own, and poor schools don't even have tennis teams.

I grew up in Bergen County, and Tenafly was good at tennis then, too.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 05:43:30 PM »

This ranking is based basically off AP/IB tests per capita, which seems like a crappy indicator of success to me.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »

This ranking is based basically off AP/IB tests per capita, which seems like a crappy indicator of success to me.

^^^^^^^

It's not even how well the kids did, but just how many took them. What a lazy, bullcrap indicator. You may as well rank schools by how many square feet the cafeteria is. The results wouldn't be any less meaningful. My high school is 867, but is sure to skyrocket over the next few years as Memphis is about to stop busing in kids from the ghetto who never take AP tests.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 07:15:57 PM »

Shrug...no rating w/private schools?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 07:53:09 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/site/newsweek/

i just think its funny that 15 out of the top 20 are in the South.

When you consider quite how low education levels in the South are overall, something seems wrong (morally and so on) with that. And not at all funny.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »

I go to Coral Reef high. I don't object to the ranking at all.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 09:45:23 PM »

Obviously, the methodology is very flawed.  Basing any categorical ranking on such a narrow basis is a bad choice statistically, and even this is a poor indicator.  What about high schools that push students to take AP/IB tests without adequate preparation, producing abysmal results?  Such schools could enjoy high ratings despite inadequate performance, and if one had the energy to do a great deal of digging, I'm sure one would find that there are schools on the list that do.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 09:48:45 PM »

Obviously, the methodology is very flawed.  Basing any categorical ranking on such a narrow basis is a bad choice statistically, and even this is a poor indicator.  What about high schools that push students to take AP/IB tests without adequate preparation, producing abysmal results?  Such schools could enjoy high ratings despite inadequate performance, and if one had the energy to do a great deal of digging, I'm sure one would find that there are schools on the list that do.

Agreed, and also basing the ranking on AP/IB tests is bad because the programs are so very different, AP schools and IB schools are quite different in terms of how many students test.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »

Shrug...no rating w/private schools?

The problem with private schools is that you might end up with schools that have only 20 students per year or something. Tiny student numbers skew the results.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 10:01:21 PM »

Mine is currently 574, its gone way down over the last two years due to the addition of ESL kids and low income transfers, its good that we might be able to help them, but bad that they dropped us so much.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »

THIS LIST IS A JOKE.

Seriously, only ONE Mississippi school in the top 1000 is Murrah High School.

Murrah, are you ing kidding me?  That's a public school in Jackson!  Madison Central, Clinton, and Olive Branch (and probably Ridgeland also) are the only schools that would pass for good high schools in other states...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 10:44:58 PM »

Obviously, the methodology is very flawed.  Basing any categorical ranking on such a narrow basis is a bad choice statistically, and even this is a poor indicator.  What about high schools that push students to take AP/IB tests without adequate preparation, producing abysmal results?  Such schools could enjoy high ratings despite inadequate performance, and if one had the energy to do a great deal of digging, I'm sure one would find that there are schools on the list that do.

Another issue is this is based off those taking Ap tests as a % of those who graduate rather than students as a whole.  Schools might have a large drop out rate, but rank high on the list because out of the few that graduate many take the AP exams
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 01:22:01 AM »

Mine is 653th.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States