Happy 100th John Wayne
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:17:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Happy 100th John Wayne
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy 100th John Wayne  (Read 857 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:14:40 PM »

Probably the most rugged American actor to ever capture the big screen. God Bless John Wayne.

I've actually seen some of his films on TCM lately, and find it interesting the way he refers to the Japanese as "slopeheads" and "nips". If we had actors out there today saying negative stuff about terrorists...there would be a liberal outcry.

It actually brings to mind something odd I read. The Tom Clancy novel "The Sum of All Fears" was being made into a movie in 2001...when the script was written with Middle Eastern terrorists blowing up a nuke in Baltimore. However, after 9/11/01...the script was changed to Russians instead of Middle Eastern terrorists.

My question is...after 9/11/01...the script with Middle East terrorists seems even more relevant...why change it to Russians? Movies don't seem to want to use Middle Eastern terrorists...even though that's our enemy. It's like if in the 1940's they had used Spanish fighters instead of German and Japanese...it doesn't make sense.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:33:27 AM »

The only John Wayne movie I like is Stagecoach.

He had zero range besides playing a cowboy or a soldier. Same role in every movie! I like Gary Cooper because at least he was in other types of movies like Love in the Afternoon, a romantic comedy with Audrey Hepburn and Friendly Persuasion (a gem from the 50's, not great but hokey in a good way)

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:38:01 AM »

I bet Naso never realized that John Wayne loved his suits and knew how to use a coinpurse... He was not exactly the rough hewn guy he played in movies... It's just a little known fact that The Duke (Named after a dog) much preferred a 300 dollar suit to boots and denim.

As an actor, he was kind of quizzical to me. Some of his performances were exceptionally good, and wonderfully believable. My uncle Brian loved the Duke, so I'm somewhat familiar with alot of his work. Other times, he was almost impossible to watch... As Davy Crockett in The Alamo, a massive rewrite of true history, he is flat, and boring. I hated him in that, as well as the movie itself was extraordinarily bad... Unlike that, one of his greatest performances in The Quiet Man contained everything an actor needs. Poise, prescense, command, and charisma. He was never an actor of range, but stuck to what he was good at and made alot of money... Today we would call that a "Character Actor", not a star. Sometimes he was great... Sometimes he was el stinko. One thing I am regretful of, is I didn't get to see him in two of my favorite movies "Blazing Saddles" and "The Frisco Kid".

Politically, he was one of the only people to defend the Vietnam War. He also hunted "Commies" in Hollywood, leading to the blacklisting of several talented actors, directors, writers, composers, etc... Among those blacklisted, Zero Mostel, Edward G. Robinson, Burgess Meredith, and graylisted composer Elmer Bernstien (Who's scores Wayne loved... Particularly his Magnificent Seven score) all were out of films for periods of time due to Wayne and other conservative Hollywood actors' witchhunt, which was just as misbegotten as McCarthy's and Jenner's hunt for commies. So I have a negative view of him politically, his acting ability not withstanding.

That was my honest, objective look at Marion. (What? That was his name.)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:44:54 AM »

The Quiet Man is so over-the-top corny that I've never seen more than a minute or two. Maureen O'Hara is a wonderful actress (she had a great role in How Green was my Valley, one of my top 10 favorite films) she should have done more movies without Wayne, he's not as great as men believe him out to be. He's symbol of American masculinity, not a good one nor a good actor.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:52:13 AM »

The Quiet Man is so over-the-top corny that I've never seen more than a minute or two. Maureen O'Hara is a wonderful actress (she had a great role in How Green was my Valley, one of my top 10 favorite films) she should have done more movies without Wayne, he's not as great as men believe him out to be. He's symbol of American masculinity, not a good one nor a good actor.

I disagree... Given my profession and education, I have just as good a pedigree to judge films as you do, yes?... I wasn't bored by The Quiet Man at all. I enjoyed it, and in my book, gave it *** stars, which is actually less than most critics today give it.

Maureen O'Hara was wonderful in alot of what she did. For a later, and really well done role of hers, check out her performance as the late great John Candy's overbearing mother in Only The Lonely. She and John Candy have terrific chemistry as mother and son.

Back to Wayne... Sure he was over macho, but that's what people wanted. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was a good film too. I also liked the movie El Dorado, although not really his performance... I dug Robert Mitchum in that one though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »

I love John Wayne.  I think he was one of the best actors of the 20th century.  My favorite movie of his was "Hatari".  I like the music in that movie by one of the best musicians of all time, Henry Mancini.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:07:05 PM »

John Wayne represented the best of America.

Have you ever listened to "America the Good?" It's worth it.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 08:11:26 PM »

Ok..... pilgrim. You put the...... birthday candles in a......... circle....... and you...... blow them out. Tongue

Happy Birthday Duke. Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »

I love John Wayne.  I think he was one of the best actors of the 20th century.  My favorite movie of his was "Hatari".  I like the music in that movie by one of the best musicians of all time, Henry Mancini.

Henry Mancini was a GREAT composer... And a Pittsburgher. Wink
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:17:45 PM »

100 years? Thats ri-god-damn-diculous! Cheesy
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 11:44:11 PM »

100 years? Thats ri-god-damn-diculous! Cheesy

There making a big deal about it here in the OC. Everywhere I drive, I see a sign saying "100 Years of John Wayne"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies