Architecture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:45:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Architecture
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Architecture  (Read 10970 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »

You have great taste in buildings Lewis (or at least my taste Wink), even if the second-to-last is a little Hansel and Gretel.  But this is Germany, eh?
This is Frankfurt.

You'll note that they're all from the same website. I only used pics that I could tell you immediately where in the city that is. Well, okay, except for the middle one (although the road sign is an obvious giveaway. Smiley )
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 10:54:36 AM »

I've got to agree.
If this gets built, it is going to be known as the "twisted dick."
More like a vibrator, actually.

Most people I've talked to refer to it as the "Giant Dildo."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 11:25:03 AM »

Well, I can understand that point of view, and honestly I contributed this photo in jest, but still - it succeeds masterfully in sending its message of science fiction level megalomania and power.  In a way it is kind of cool, like a spectacularly ugly man (think Nixon and LBJ).

Btw, I liked your cute little German buildings, but #3 and #4 were way better than the others.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »

You'll note that they're all from the same website. I only used pics that I could tell you immediately where in the city that is. Well, okay, except for the middle one (although the road sign is an obvious giveaway. Smiley )

Except for the green Hansel and Gretal building, all are very similar to Philadelphia buildings.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »

Except for the green Hansel and Gretal building, all are very similar to Philadelphia buildings.
What about the house on the left side of that cobbled street?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »

Old photo of Frankwell nicked from some BBC site:

Another old photo of Frankwell, this time during a flood:

The Ditherington Flaxmill:

Various black-and-white buildings (sadly, there's nowhere near as many of these left as used to be the case. You can thank the council for that. In the worst instance a whole district of them was knocked down and replaced by ghastly concrete blocks that have themselves now been knocked down...)

Gordon Terrace in Bethesda:

DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »

I've also always liked the architecture behind the Deutsche Bank towers in Frankfurt, Germany:

That's a nice one.  The Chicago Spire looks good, too, semi-phallic though it is (most tall buildings have that resemblence. Heck, the Washington Monument is just as bad - its either a penis or a Klansman).

I'm not generally fond of Brutalism in most contexts, but it seems to work with Government buildings. Here's the J. Edgar Hoover FBI building. Note that I think any building named after J. Edgar Hoover absolutely has to be "Brutalist":

It also works with the DC Metro:

If you want something that isn't modern, how about the Empire State Building, which looks like it fits perfectly for the early-mid 20th century:

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »

That's a nice one.  The Chicago Spire looks good, too, semi-phallic though it is

I should have thought about the fact that this is a forum filled with juvenile males when I went to post that one. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »

What about the house on the left side of that cobbled street?

I can't tell from the photo, but it sure looks like it could be a street in Olde City Philadelphia.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »

I've been through the Detroit Airport tunnel twice. Weird colors and sounds. It's of course like a bad acid trip.

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

I've been through the Detroit Airport tunnel twice. Weird colors and sounds. It's of course like a bad acid trip.

Reminds me of the United terminal in Chicago. It's the same sort of effect, except it has weird neon lights on the ceiling and plays Rhapsody in Blue, as the Detroit tunnel.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »

Here's a modernist apartment complex in Montreal known as Habitat 67 that I was shown recently:

I think it's attractive in a bizarre way. You can find many more images here. Navigating it seems like it would be difficult.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »

The old Central High School building in Duluth, MN, completed in 1893.

The new central Library in Minneapolis:

Poor architecture:  Build 'em big.  Build 'em fast.  Build 'em cheap.  Charge top dollar.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 01:29:38 PM »

Then, there's always this "gem" in Pyongyang, North Korea.  It was meant to be a 3,000 room hotel with 7 revolving rooftop restaurants.  The project was abandoned in the early '90s for unknown reasons (maybe like... what the hell are we going to do with 2900 empty rooms all the time?). 

Recently, the government made it illegal to talk about the tower and pretends it doesn't exist, despite it being by far the tallest building in the Pyongyang skyline. 

The building is unstable today as it was constructed with poor-quality cement.  It will eventually collapse, though no one really knows when, exactly.

Here it is in the context of the skyline.  Ouch.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »

Ah, the Ryugyong Hotel. The epitome of North Korea.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »

Then, there's always this "gem" in Pyongyang, North Korea.  It was meant to be a 3,000 room hotel with 7 revolving rooftop restaurants.  The project was abandoned in the early '90s for unknown reasons (maybe like... what the hell are we going to do with 2900 empty rooms all the time?). 

Recently, the government made it illegal to talk about the tower and pretends it doesn't exist, despite it being by far the tallest building in the Pyongyang skyline. 

The building is unstable today as it was constructed with poor-quality cement.  It will eventually collapse, though no one really knows when, exactly.

You have to wonder why they don't just tear it down.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »

That would require acknowledging its existence first.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2007, 02:45:37 PM »

That would require acknowledging its existence first.

Couldn't they just also not acknowledge that they ever tore it down or even built it in the first place, as well? Tongue
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »

What I'm kind of wondering is who in the right mind would build a 105 story hotel in Pyongyang? Cause we all know that Pyongyang is East Asia's tourist hotspot.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »

What I'm kind of wondering is who in the right mind would build a 105 story hotel in Pyongyang? Cause we all know that Pyongyang is East Asia's tourist hotspot.

Maybe Kim Jong-Il watched Field of Dreams one too many times.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »

It could be, if they'd just start selling a particular service....
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »

Maybe Kim Jong-Il watched Field of Dreams one too many times.

Perhaps Kim Il-sung should have noted that Kevin Costner's baseball field was not a poorly constructed failure. Nor did it take up 2% of Kevin Costner's GDP.

Even then, why go to some sh**thole like Pyongyang? You can receive the same service in livelier places such as Pattaya or Amsterdam.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2007, 03:25:19 PM »

Even then, why go to some sh**thole like Pyongyang? You can receive the same service in livelier places such as Pattaya or Amsterdam.

For now.  Those places will be shut down soon.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies