Confirmation Hearing: Keystone Phil (Vice President)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:58:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Keystone Phil (Vice President)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Keystone Phil (Vice President)  (Read 9249 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:51:41 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2007, 02:59:10 AM by Ebowed »

The President has nominated Keystone Phil to be Vice President.  I call this hearing to order.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:53:47 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2007, 06:32:37 AM by Ebowed »

My first question for the nominee is, do you intend on being a polarizing figure in your capacity as Vice President?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »

My first question for the nominee is, do you intend on being a polarizing figure in your capacity as Vice President?

Honorable Senator, I intend on being myself. Some see me as polarizing but that's just the way it goes. Some see you as polarizing, too, Senator and I doubt that that will change yet you believe that you deserve your seat, correct?

I'll do my best to work with everyone. Unfortunately, some of set opinions of me that aren't the best and they'll refuse to cooperate with me. I'll try my best not to do that to anyone else.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 01:17:47 PM »

How would you vote on the tied Immigration Bill?

What degree of involvement could we expect from you as President of the Senate and applying the OSPR?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »

How would you vote on the tied Immigration Bill?

I'd cast the tie breaking vote in favor of the bill.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I expect to be pretty involved, commenting on legislation when I find it appropriate and, of course, being available to fulfill my duties of casting tie breaking votes on bills.

I'll be honest and say that I have no idea how I'll apply the OSPR because I don't know what it is.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »

I urge the senate to not play games and confirm this well qualified nominee quickly.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 04:19:05 PM »

You served as Vice President for four months from November 2004 to February 2005.  Do you believe that when serving in this capacity, you demonstrated an active form of leadership which culminated in a competent and cautious understanding of Senate rules?

What do you most wish to achieve as Vice President, if confirmed?

Article 2, Section 2 of the OSPR notes, "The President of the Senate shall also be responsible for maintaining regular contact with the PPT, in case such need arises for joint use of power as laid out under Article 7 of this Procedural Resolution."  Could you elaborate on what times you would feel appropriate to jointly invoke the powers cited in Article 7, perhaps with reference to examples of legislation currently on the floor?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 07:23:41 PM »

Keystone Phil,

As president of the senate would exercise that power and take over the duties of running of the senate from Porce?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 07:39:20 PM »

I urge the senate to not play games and confirm this well qualified nominee quickly.

I concur. While I don't agree with him on the Immigration Bill, I think he is more than qualified to become VP. I urge Porce and Rob not to play games here, and allow Phil to begin his lame-duck term ASAP.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:17:33 AM »

I'll be honest and say that I have no idea how I'll apply the OSPR because I don't know what it is.
Case closed, I suppose.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:33:15 AM »

24 hours has passed, I motion to end debate immediatley upon six votes being cast in favor
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 09:09:01 AM »

24 hours has passed, I motion to end debate immediatley upon six votes being cast in favor

Please, please read the rules Senate procedure.
The link to the rules on debate of Presidential Nominees is here.
But, while you're at it, take a glance at the text generally - as you want to be PPT, it is essential reading.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »

You served as Vice President for four months from November 2004 to February 2005.  Do you believe that when serving in this capacity, you demonstrated an active form of leadership which culminated in a competent and cautious understanding of Senate rules?

Yes.

I wish to make my opinions known on the matters before the Senate.

The Immigration Bill would be the best example that I can think of.

I thank the Chief Justice for her kind words.

Keystone Phil,

As president of the senate would exercise that power and take over the duties of running of the senate from Porce?

While I have obvious objections to how the PPT has run the Senate, I will not take over the duties unless he was removed.

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »

Keystone Phil was my Vice-President, he was an outstanding Veep and a great help to me, so I can see no reason not to confirm him, and I hope the honorable President of the Senate sees it the same way I do.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »

Case closed, I suppose.

Not having knowledge about the meaning of an acronym doesn't really mean that much, other than perhaps the fact that he has been away from fantasy politics for a while, which can only be a good thing.

People tend to confuse competence with knowledge a lot.  Knowledge can be easily gained.  Competence, not so much.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »

Well just a question then concerning what Gabu stated.

Keystone Phil, do you have knowledge of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution, the afforementioned OSPR and what it entails for your office and your actions within the bounds of the rules of the Senate?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2007, 04:00:52 PM by Ebowed »

I'm sorry, I don't see how the powers jointly authorized to the President Pro Tempore and President of the Senate in Article 7 of the OSPR applies to the Immigration Bill at this point in time.

Do you support relatively recent amendments to the OSPR which streamlined the process of removing certain types of inactive Senators automatically?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't see how the powers jointly authorized to the President Pro Tempore and President of the Senate in Article 7 of the OSPR applies to the Immigration Bill at this point in time.

I'm sorry, I clearly misnderstood the question. I cannot think of a specific piece of legislation before the Senate at this time where we would have to act together to override.

No, I do not support such amendments. Automatic removal of a Senator is wrong in any situation.

Well just a question then concerning what Gabu stated.

Keystone Phil, do you have knowledge of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution, the afforementioned OSPR and what it entails for your office and your actions within the bounds of the rules of the Senate?

I believe that I know enough for me to be a competent, active Vice President. I am brushing up on any parts that would involve me directly.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 01:39:32 AM »

Atlasia seems to be returning slowly to some of its former glory, what, if any, plans do you have to improve the number of citizens and keep healthy levels?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 02:57:34 AM »

Atlasia seems to be returning slowly to some of its former glory, what, if any, plans do you have to improve the number of citizens and keep healthy levels?

I don't want to overlook the importance of personal appeal. I think prominent officials should appeal directly to specific members of the forum. Personal appeal might be what brings old Atlasian back. That same outreach can let new forum members know that we exist. The forum is flooded with relatively new members that weren't here during our glory days. Letting these people know that we are here should bring in a healthy amount of new Atlasians.

We may be slowly returning to that "former glory" but I am confident that it will speed up. Some very prominent members from the past are back and dedicated to bringing this country back. I see a very bright future for us. This is the time to be involved.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 03:05:00 AM »

Would you assume a role in the Atlasian Council, and if so, would this clash with your duties as President of the Senate?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 03:10:25 AM »

Would you assume a role in the Atlasian Council, and if so, would this clash with your duties as President of the Senate?

I would assume a role in this Advisory Council if asked to do so by the President. Seeing as this body was created by Executive Order, I would assume that the President would want me to be an active member.

I don't see how this would clash with my duties as President of the Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 03:15:55 AM »

I will add that I would serve...if such Council even exists. After reading through debate on the proposal, there seemed to be much conflict over whether or not such a body could exist since it seemingly conflicted with the "No two offices" rule.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 05:42:24 AM »

I will add that I would serve...if such Council even exists. After reading through debate on the proposal, there seemed to be much conflict over whether or not such a body could exist since it seemingly conflicted with the "No two offices" rule.

The body does exist in some form, though it has been inactive for quite some time.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 06:16:28 AM »

If you were a member of the Senate, would you seek the position of President Pro Tempore?  If not, who of the current Senate do you think would best perform in the role?

In what instances do you think it would be appropriate to remove someone from the position of President Pro Tempore?  Please provide close reference to the OSPR if possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies