For American Conservatives: Will Britain and France switch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:19:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  For American Conservatives: Will Britain and France switch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: For American Conservatives: Will Britain and France switch?  (Read 2271 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »

I have been wondering this.  For the last few years I have hated France with a passion for being vehemently anti-American and loved Britain for being opposite.  Do you think that with the new governments in place, American conservatives like myself will become France-lovers and Britain-haters?
Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »

I have been wondering this.  For the last few years I have hated France with a passion for being vehemently anti-American and loved Britain for being opposite.  Do you think that with the new governments in place, American conservatives like myself will become France-lovers and Britain-haters?
You must know, however, that the French people aren't anti-American but Jacques Chirac wasn't pro-American nor really anti-American. My contacts in France say they love America.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »

Depends whether you like Cameron's "wishy-washy conservatism". Brown's not going to have much real power as PM due to the declining popularity of the Labour Party and small caucus revolts, so your next opportunity to assess Britain's politics will come in 2009 or 2010.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »

Haha. Someone watches too much faux news. Get real; don't hate an entire country based on a government's decisions. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »

Haha. Someone watches too much faux news. Get real; don't hate an entire country based on a government's decisions. 

I also just think French people are snobbish, arrogant prudes as well.  Fox News and colorful avatars all the way!
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »

I also just think French people are snobbish, arrogant prudes as well.

Ever met any?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »

Ever met any?

Yes, and I am French myself
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:09:08 PM »

If you hate an entire country purely due to the government it elects, and especially if you will revise that hate the moment a new government is elected as if the people are somehow suddenly fundamentally different, you have serious issues, and perhaps would benefit from a hiatus from politics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:11:30 PM »

Brown's not going to have much real power as PM

Where do you get that idea from? Callaghan was a powerful PM, (especially as regards his position within the executive; which is what matters most in these things. He was actually strong enough to bypass most of his Cabinet on several key (usually economic) policy issues) for most of his time in office, despite not even having a majority in the Commons for more than (IIRC) a few weeks (or was it less than that?).

While it's too early to be sure how powerful a PM Brown will be, he'll certainly be more powerful than Blair has been for the past year or so (and almost certainly more powerful than Blair has been since 2005).

(o/c the premise behind this thread is absurd...)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2007, 09:19:16 PM by Verily »

Ever met any?

Having French ancestry doesn't make you French. Or do you consider yourself a snobbish, arrogant prude?

The French are certainly not snobbish or prudish. Arrogant, perhaps, but so are Americans.

Brown's not going to have much real power as PM

Where do you get that idea from? Callaghan was a powerful PM, (especially as regards his position within the executive; which is what matters most in these things. He was actually strong enough to bypass most of his Cabinet on several key (usually economic) policy issues) for most of his time in office, despite not even having a majority in the Commons for more than (IIRC) a few weeks (or was it less than that?).

While it's too early to be sure how powerful a PM Brown will be, he'll certainly be more powerful than Blair has been for the past year or so (and almost certainly more powerful than Blair has been since 2005).

(o/c the premise behind this thread is absurd...)

At least partially because Labour has been in power for a very long time now, and Brown with them, so he brings few new policies to the table. Aside from a shift in Iraq policy, things will continue with the same governmental malaise as Blair's last term. Labour achieved more between 1997 and 2001 than it has since 2001, and that will continue.

Callaghan does not strike me as having been a particularly effective Prime Minister though of course this assessment is tempered somewhat by the fact that his government was a minority.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:42 PM »

Ever met any?

Well, that explains it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 03:40:38 AM »

Is DWTL's francophobia based on too much Fox News?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 04:58:25 AM »

Ever met any?

Having French ancestry doesn't make you French. Or do you consider yourself a snobbish, arrogant prude?
Yes, he's intelligent enough to realize that he is a snobbish, arrogant prude.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »

Generalisations suck.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »

France sucks
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »

If France sucks because we were smart enough not to go to Iraq to have over 3000 young man/woman butchered for oil, than I would guess that Belgium, Russia, Germany, and every nation that didn't send troops to Iraq suck as well. I gotta watch FOX News more often and I'll think the same way you do.

I understand that you can hate a government of a country, as I hate the Russian or American governments, but hating a whole nation because of its government is childish and retarded. I may hate the Russian and American governments, but I quite like Russia (and Russians) and Americans. Oh, and before you make generalizations about a certain nationality, try meeting more than one person of that nationality. Like about fifty people from there.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »

If France sucks because we were smart enough not to go to Iraq to have over 3000 young man/woman butchered for oil, than I would guess that Belgium, Russia, Germany, and every nation that didn't send troops to Iraq suck as well. I gotta watch FOX News more often and I'll think the same way you do.

I understand that you can hate a government of a country, as I hate the Russian or American governments, but hating a whole nation because of its government is childish and retarded. I may hate the Russian and American governments, but I quite like Russia (and Russians) and Americans. Oh, and before you make generalizations about a certain nationality, try meeting more than one person of that nationality. Like about fifty people from there.

The war was/is never about oil.  So learn what your talking about and don't call me childish b/c your like 7 and really don't seem to have a concept of the world.  Please reserach before you post again
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 08:21:33 AM »

The war was/is never about oil.  So learn what your talking about and don't call me childish b/c your like 7 and really don't seem to have a concept of the world.  Please reserach before you post again

Wow, Fox News really does affect you. What is the war about then? "Democracy"?

Also, it's nice to see that you can't put up a civil, respectful argument when someone does not agree with you. Firstly, you have my age entirely wrong, secondly, I don't your concept of the world. When people don't have YOUR concept of the world, it doesn't mean they don't have a concept of the world.

Reserach? That must be a new word. I'll ask my English teacher tommorow about that one tommorow.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 08:31:25 AM »

Wow, Fox News really does affect you. What is the war about then? "Democracy"?

Also, it's nice to see that you can't put up a civil, respectful argument when someone does not agree with you. Firstly, you have my age entirely wrong, secondly, I don't your concept of the world. When people don't have YOUR concept of the world, it doesn't mean they don't have a concept of the world.

Reserach? That must be a new word. I'll ask my English teacher tommorow about that one tommorow.

O wow, I misspelled research, you totally messed up the purpose of a war.  You tell me which one is a bigger mistake.  when you grow up enough to stop bitching about your English teacher to us every five seconds you let me know.  I seem to be right in my assertions about France.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 08:40:18 AM »

First off, leave my English teacher to me. If you had him, you'd be like me.

I suggest you travel outside the United States a bit more and develop a balanced world view.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 08:41:20 AM »

I suggest you travel outside the United States a bit more and develop a balanced world view.

I suggest you realize that no one on this forum cares about your English teacher and whether or not he could win an election against your friend.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »

I suggest you realize that no one on this forum cares about your English teacher and whether or not he could win an election against your friend.

I assume you know everybody on this forum and their likes and dislikes?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 08:45:17 AM »

I assume you know everybody on this forum and their likes and dislikes?

I know that you think everyone knows who your English teacher is when in reality (meaning escape from your 7 year old world) no one does
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »

Ah well, I'll drop it. It's useless to debate with somebody that can't put up a civil and respectful debate without calling people names.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »

You conservatives will like who FOX tells you to like and dislike who FOX tells you to dislike.  Its not as if many of the right-wingers in America ever actually travel to a foreign land or meet a foreigner in Alabama or Nebraska or wherever they live.  So you'll do what you're told.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies