For American Conservatives: Will Britain and France switch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:45:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  For American Conservatives: Will Britain and France switch?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: For American Conservatives: Will Britain and France switch?  (Read 2269 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »

If France sucks because we were smart enough not to go to Iraq to have over 3000 young man/woman butchered for oil, than I would guess that Belgium, Russia, Germany, and every nation that didn't send troops to Iraq suck as well. I gotta watch FOX News more often and I'll think the same way you do.

I understand that you can hate a government of a country, as I hate the Russian or American governments, but hating a whole nation because of its government is childish and retarded. I may hate the Russian and American governments, but I quite like Russia (and Russians) and Americans. Oh, and before you make generalizations about a certain nationality, try meeting more than one person of that nationality. Like about fifty people from there.

The war was/is never about oil.  So learn what your talking about and don't call me childish b/c your like 7 and really don't seem to have a concept of the world.  Please reserach before you post again

Oh, how naive you are.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 12:09:10 PM »

An excellent argument; I'm glad to see you're paying close attention to what is being said in this thread.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:13 PM »

I have to say that while I don't like the way DWDL argues most of the time, it's really pathetic that those opposing him have to mention FOX News in every post. People want to get on his case about generalizations about the French yet the generalizations about FOX and conservatives never cease.

And before anyone goes crazy on me, I'm known to have a dislike for FOX.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »

I have to say that while I don't like the way DWDL argues most of the time, it's really pathetic that those opposing him have to mention FOX News in every post. People want to get on his case about generalizations about the French yet the generalizations about FOX and conservatives never cease.

DWDL was the first of anyone to bring up Fox News:

I also just think French people are snobbish, arrogant prudes as well.  Fox News and colorful avatars all the way!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »

I also just think French people are snobbish, arrogant prudes as well.  Fox News and colorful avatars all the way!

No, it was Earl...

Haha. Someone watches too much faux news. Get real; don't hate an entire country based on a government's decisions. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »

No, it was Earl...

Haha. Someone watches too much faux news. Get real; don't hate an entire country based on a government's decisions. 

Oh, my bad, I was only searching for "fox".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »

No, it was Earl...

Oh, my bad, I was only searching for "fox".

My point was that fox news is the leading culprate for misinformation about the French. When it comes to bias from Fox News, it's hard to make any false generalizations.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »

My point was that fox news is the leading culprate for misinformation about the French. When it comes to bias from Fox News, it's hard to make any false generalizations.

It's still wrong to just assume that a conservative you are arguing with gets their news from FOX and that FOX is always wrong.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »

It's still wrong to just assume that a conservative you are arguing with gets their news from FOX and that FOX is always wrong.

Although, with DWDL's response, it sounds like it was actually accurate in his case. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »

Although, with DWDL's response, it sounds like it was actually accurate in his case. Tongue

Well, it's hard to say whether or not his bias against the French is because of FOX News though.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »

I have been wondering this.  For the last few years I have hated France with a passion for being vehemently anti-American and loved Britain for being opposite.  Do you think that with the new governments in place, American conservatives like myself will become France-lovers and Britain-haters?
You must know, however, that the French people aren't anti-American but Jacques Chirac wasn't pro-American nor really anti-American. My contacts in France say they love America.

The French I've met like America but despise it's government, especially George W. Bush.  Jacques Chirac probably is anti-American, however.

I don't think perceptions of the two will switch though: Gordon Brown is said to be just as pro-American as Tony Blair.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »

Well, it's hard to say whether or not his bias against the French is because of FOX News though.

Well, most of the anti-France propoganda out there is produced by Fox News, so I just went out on a limb on that one Tongue
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2007, 05:45:35 PM by Mr. Paleoconservative »

A government does not necessarily represent, in a definitive way, the opinions of the public.  Despite what the media implies about "the Europeans," from personal experience we have a rather good personal and political relationship with our friends on the other side of the Atlantic. 

That said, one cannot blame them for not wanting to hop into every war our government decides to fight, or hold our hands as we parade under the banner of humanitarian aid into every third-world hell hole only to see our troops come back in body bags.  That is the same attitude we took as a country when European powers were making foreign policy actions somewhat similar to those our government is taking today.

Sarkozy showed that we can be friends, but we must maintain our independence and rights as two separate, but close countries.  The same has long been our relationship with Great Britain, though Thatcher and Blair have blurred the line to the point were it seems the British people are very skeptical of their independence from the United States.  The same thing happened in the U.K. during the 1960's and 1970's.

In the end, it is unlikely that the British will become anti-American, but rather, they have become more skeptical of the United States government.  France has long had that skepticism, but we are now in midst of finding productive ways to work together while maintaining independence and friendship.  It is most likely under this formula that United States/Western European relations will advance in the first quarter of the 21st Century.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies