Salmond wants Scotland to return to deep coal mining
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:58:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Salmond wants Scotland to return to deep coal mining
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Salmond wants Scotland to return to deep coal mining  (Read 530 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6696043.stm

''Scottish Coal has said it would like both the Scottish Executive and the Westminster government to back their plans to restart deep mining. The company said new clean-coal technology could lead it to exploit the vast reserves of coal in Scotland. Scottish Coal said it had identified a site in the West of Scotland which could supply Longannet power station in Fife for at least 80 years.

But it does not want to develop mines if they do not have a long-term future.

Clean coal technology means deep coal, which has a high sulphur content and would normally create too much pollution, can once again be used in Scottish power plants.''

From The Scotsman;

Mr Salmond said: "Coal is king. I have called an old energy technology into existence to redress the balance of nuclear. If you can use clean-coal technology, coal has a dynamic future.

"It means coal, from being environmentally unacceptable, is becoming environmentally attractive. What people forget is that we have roughly 10 per cent of Europe's coal reserves."

With deep-mined coal now close to becoming viable again, Scottish Coal wants to open a new deep-coal mine at Canonbie in Dumfriesshire which is said to have reserves of 400 million tonnes, enough to run Longannet for 80 years.

Dacre Purchase, chief executive of Scottish Coal, said: "They're building a power station every week in China. We're thinking we did a good job building a wind turbine. We're completely missing the point. ''

===========

How refreshing Smiley It's an excellent idea and also proves the ability of our new Executive to think outside the box. Scotland has to become one of Europe's top energy and clear water producers in the coming decades to take advantage of changing conditions and energy use. Any plan that encourages employment in two industrial sectors, mining and energy should be encouraged.

There are seams, closed over 60 years ago in Lanarkshire that can easily be made re-accessable for this purpose and I hope consideration is given to  them.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »

I can see deep coal mining coming back given the advances in clean-coal technology

Dave
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »

Given that current estimates put it at 2020 or 2025 when the first commercial-scale clean coal power plants can be made, I'm kind of curious what they're planning on doing with the coal until then.  Will they just stockpile it?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »

Given that current estimates put it at 2020 or 2025 when the first commercial-scale clean coal power plants can be made, I'm kind of curious what they're planning on doing with the coal until then.  Will they just stockpile it?

They can't exactly get it up and running in a matter of months or years Smiley Scottish Coal simply want to be re-assured it has the backing it needs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies