Who would have been the likely Republican and Democratic canidates in 1996?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:16:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who would have been the likely Republican and Democratic canidates in 1996?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would have been the likely Republican and Democratic canidates in 1996?  (Read 2853 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »

Who would have been the likely Republican and Democratic canidates in 1996 had George HW Bush won reelection? for the Republicans would have been Dan Quayle the Vice President, and for the Democrats that is a big question mark in my opinion.

So in your opinion who would have been for both parties?   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »

How about

Republican
Former Tennessee Governor and then Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander, President
Indiana Senator Richard Lugar, VP

Democrat
Georgia Senator Sam Nunn, President
Maine Senator George Mitchell, VP
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:58:26 PM »

How about

Republican
Former Tennessee Governor and then Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander, President
Indiana Senator Richard Lugar, VP

Democrat
Georgia Senator Sam Nunn, President
Maine Senator George Mitchell, VP

I wonder what Al Gore fit's into all of this?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »

Gore / Kerrey

against

Quayle/ Alexander

Although, I think H. Ross Perot would do much better than in '92, winning some states and perhaps the election [98% chance he does not win though].
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:02:47 PM »

The Republican Primary would be a dogfight between Dan Quayle and Bob Dole with Dole ultimately winning.  Dole picks Jack Kemp as his running mate for the same reasons he did in reality.

The Democratic Primary would be more diverse with Al Gore, John Kerry, Dick Gephardt, Evan Bayh, Bob Casey Sr, and Doug Wilder.  Ultimately though I think Dick Gephardt would win the nomination.  But the contraversy comes in his selecting Bob Casey Sr (a very conservative Dem) as his running mate.  Its a nod to the right which the Dems, after 16 yrs out of the White House, would feel necessary.

This sets up a dogfight between Dole/Kemp and Gephardt/Casey.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:23:24 PM »

Here's my thoughts:

REPUBLICAN:

President: Vice President Dan Quayle (Indiana)
Vice President: Senator John McCain (Arizona)

vs.

DEMOCRATIC:

President: Senator Al Gore (Tennessee)
Vice President: Governor Evan Bayh (Indiana)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:53:58 AM »

I think Wakie is right that it would come down to Dole-Quayle for the GOP, and Dole would win.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »

I think Dole was too old when he ran in 96 to have won.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »

I think Dole was too old when he ran in 96 to have won.

That falls back to the Reagan line from 1984 that he wouldn't make Mondale's "youth" an issue in the election.  Granted, Dole didn't have anywhere near Reagan's charisma, but people are willing to accept an older candidate.

I personally think a Dole/Kemp v Gephardt/Casey election would be VERY interesting.  I'd bet on a Gephardt/Casey win to be honest.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 03:58:55 AM »

I can't see Gephardt picking Casey as VP.  Gephardt was pro-life early in his career before flipping to run for President in '88.  He would need to soothe the pro-choice lobby in order to maintain liberal support.  I'd bet a Bill Bradley pick would go over rather well.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2007, 01:46:40 PM by Kevin »

Here is my take on this.

By the time election 96 roles around the vast majority of Americans are pleased with current incumbent Republican President George HW Bush's preformence as President with Bush's second term being much more successful on domistic issues then his first. However even with President Bush's overwelming approval from the American people many are becoming sick and tired of having the same party having control of the White House for nearly 16 years in a row and a natural winds of change are beginning to sweep the politcal landscape for a desire for change despite a well liked Republican incumbent POTUS. Going into 1996 both paries are in good shape after both made gains across the specturum of. Senate Seats,  House Seats andGovernorships in the 1994 midterm elections. On the Republican side Vice President Dan Quayle has annouced his intentions to seek the Republican nomenation, However many within the Party don't want to see him get the nomention and so sefveral major Republican canidates have jumped in as a anybody but Quayle field, Most notably Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole of Kansas who later emerges as a major threat to Quayle in the primaries. However VP Qualyle narrowly slips through to win the Republican nomenation. Moving on to the Democratic side we have also a crowded field of contenders who hope to have the honor potentally capturing the White House for the Democrats in 1996. The Democratic field is very crowded with a very diverse field of canidates, However the race for the Democratic nomention comes down between Senator Al Gore of Tennesese and Governor of Vermont Howard Dean. Gore however captures the nomention and chooses New Mexico Congressman Bill Richardson as his running mate. While on the Republican side Dan Qualyle chooses former Congressman and power player in Washington throughout the years Dick Cheney of Wyoming his VP choice.

When election day in November rolls around George HW Bush's high approval ratings turnout to be not enough for the Republicans to hold the White house on election day in November of 1996, With the ticket of Senator Al Gore and Congressmen Bill Richardson being sweeped to victory over Vice President Dan Qualyle and former Congressmen Dick Cheney.

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2007, 01:47:26 PM by Kevin »

Also in the Senate and House races nationwide, The Republicans manage to take control of the Senate with such notable wins such as in  Massachusetts, Where Governor Bill Weld defeats incumbent Democratic Senator John Kerry and in Louisiana where Woody Jenkins defeats Mary Landrieu in a open race for Senate, Also there is also a case of the same in Georgia where Congressman Charlie Norwood defeats Max Cleland to take the seat of retiring Senator San Nunn. In South Dakota Larry Pressler holds off a strong challenge from Democratic Congressmen Tim Johnson.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies