New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin may run for Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:47:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin may run for Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin may run for Governor  (Read 11639 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:22:31 PM »

Source: Nagin considering gubernatorial bid
 Nagin is considering a run for governor, a source tells CNN.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is seriously considering a Louisiana gubernatorial bid, a political intimate of Nagin tells CNN.

According to public records and his campaign treasurer, the two-term Democrat has raised more than a half-million dollars in campaign contributions since he was re-elected in 2006, even though Nagin can't run for mayor again. (New Orleans limits mayors to two terms.)

The mayor's senior staff members say Nagin is often approached on the street and asked if he'll run for governor, but they say he just laughs off the suggestion. At the mayor's State of the City speech Wednesday, many local politicians told CNN they'd heard the rumors.

If Nagin does decide to run for the state's highest office, it could be an uphill battle. A recent Loyola University poll showed Nagin had an approval rating of just 19% in New Orleans.

In March, current Democratic Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco announced she would not seek a second term. Former Louisiana Sen. John Breaux, also a Democrat, entertained the notion of running for the post earlier in the year, but ultimately ruled against it.

On the GOP side, Rep. Bobby Jindal has announced he is running for the post.

-- CNN's Susan Roesgen and Eric Marrapodi

It would be fun to watch how bad Nagin gets creamed should he decide to enter.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »

Oh god.  Jindal will definitely get my support if Nagin runs.  Talk about a race baiting campaign, it'd worse than Blanco in 2003.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:28:56 PM »

The only person who would do worse than Blanco. Oh joy.

Amusing too, because Nagin endorsed Jindal in 2003.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:47:40 PM »

First I'm hearing of this. Nagin's big "Blame Bush & Blanco" Speech has been all over the local news here. Needless to say, I won't be voting for Nagin if he does run.
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:50 PM »

Nagin is a piece of crap. How selfish is he to take over a half a mill in donations to his campaign when he knows he can't win and New Orleans can use it in recovery money.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »

Nagin is the 2nd worst person imaginable to be Louisiana's next governor.

Although, considering how ultracon Jindal is #1, Nagin may end up getting my support by default.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:53:46 PM »

Hilarious! I want to see Nagin and Blanco go at it!
RBH

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:12:02 PM »

The only benefit to Nagin running is that he might raise turnout enough to keep Jindal under 50%

No way in hell Nagin gets second.

Right now, we could have a weirdass primary election that goes like this

Jindal: 48%
Campbell: 17%
Nagin: 16%
Boasso: 14%
Other: 5%
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:52:22 PM »

Good. Maybe we can have a chocolate Louisiana if Nagin wins
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:55:24 PM »

Hilarious! I want to see Nagin and Blanco go at it!

^^^
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »

The only benefit to Nagin running is that he might raise turnout enough to keep Jindal under 50%

No way in hell Nagin gets second.

Right now, we could have a weirdass primary election that goes like this

Jindal: 48%
Campbell: 17%
Nagin: 16%
Boasso: 14%
Other: 5%

I think Jindal is almost assured victory in the first round barring Huey Long rising from the dead and promising to reimplement SOW with every resident of New Orleans.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »

Good. Maybe we can have a chocolate Louisiana if Nagin wins

Screw you, I was going to post that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 12:31:41 PM »

Yay! Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 02:11:43 PM »

He has my endorsement.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »

Although, considering how ultracon Jindal is #1, Nagin may end up getting my support by default.

Good to see that incompetence and race-baiting is still preferable to being a conservative.
Henrykrinkle

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -2.61

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

Nagin would be absolutely terrible as a governor, and I would be voting for Jindal without a doubt if he enters the race. He seems like he'd be a good lieutenant governor, because in Louisiana the LG spends most of his time promoting the state, but as far as actually being able to run a government, he's inept. His tendency to make outrageous statements every now and then is also a concern.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 06:31:21 PM »

Good to see that incompetence and race-baiting is still preferable to being a conservative.
Gee, as a liberal, I find conservative policies objectionable.  I know that's bizarre of me, but I guess I'm just some deviant...

Roll Eyes
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 07:28:07 PM »

Gee, as a liberal, I find conservative policies objectionable.  I know that's bizarre of me, but I guess I'm just some deviant...

Roll Eyes

Not a deviant, perhaps, but there's some kind of very tragic disconnect.

Nagin's management before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina was not the sole contributor, but definitely a significant contributor, of human suffering, misery, and death.  His ability to govern credibly and capably is nil.

And you want to give him a promotion, without even thinking of the—by comparison—far more capable Republican, or even one of the fourteen other minor name Democrats who will probably be running.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

But in the world of reality, Blanco has 2 years to improve herself.  It wasn't that she was bad during Katrina, she was just frazzled.  And I wonder why?  Maybe because a situation like that had NEVER happened before and there's nothing she could've done to prepare herself for it.  Yeah, I probably would've been frazzled too.  But Blanco has 2 years to rebuild the state, and could do a lot of good.
RBH

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »

[Nagin] seems like he'd be a good lieutenant governor, because in Louisiana the LG spends most of his time promoting the state

Wouldn't you need to zap most of the world with an amnesia gun in order to pull off putting the Mayor of New Orleans as the Lt. Governor?

I don't think the guy who made the Chocolate City comment is going to be accepted as an ambassador for Louisiana.

If there was an opening in the Lt. Gov job and using your criteria..

John Goodman for Lt. Governor!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 08:38:05 PM »

Wow, finally someone who will make Michael Steele's campaign look white
Henrykrinkle

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -2.61

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »

[Nagin] seems like he'd be a good lieutenant governor, because in Louisiana the LG spends most of his time promoting the state

Wouldn't you need to zap most of the world with an amnesia gun in order to pull off putting the Mayor of New Orleans as the Lt. Governor?

I don't think the guy who made the Chocolate City comment is going to be accepted as an ambassador for Louisiana.

If there was an opening in the Lt. Gov job and using your criteria..

John Goodman for Lt. Governor!

Good call on John Goodman!   

You're definitely correct that Nagin's controversial remarks would hurt him in his capacity as Louisiana LG. If he hadn't made those remarks, however, I think the position would suit him.... Nagin simply doesn't belong in a traditional governmental position.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 11:21:43 PM »

But in the world of reality, Blanco has 2 years to improve herself.  It wasn't that she was bad during Katrina, she was just frazzled.  And I wonder why?  Maybe because a situation like that had NEVER happened before and there's nothing she could've done to prepare herself for it.  Yeah, I probably would've been frazzled too.  But Blanco has 2 years to rebuild the state, and could do a lot of good.

For the record, HRC, you're an ass.  You rarely if ever contribute anything to the discussion on this forum other than snide remarks of no substance.

For example, you took something I said SIXTEEN MONTHS ago, and what's weirder is that it's not as if it's something really stupid that I had coming for you to repeat, it's just how you operate, trying to attack people.

Anyhow, I assumed that you must live in LA or MS since those are the only threads I ever see you posting in, so you can imagine my surprise when I learned earlier that you live in Illinois (!?)

So, HRC, in the future, please pretend like I don't exist...don't post in threads I start, don't quote me, don't respond to me, and I'll reciprocate.
We'll probably both be a lot happier that way.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 11:22:35 PM »

Roll Eyes

Not a deviant, perhaps, but there's some kind of very tragic disconnect.

Nagin's management before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina was not the sole contributor, but definitely a significant contributor, of human suffering, misery, and death.  His ability to govern credibly and capably is nil.

And you want to give him a promotion, without even thinking of the—by comparison—far more capable Republican, or even one of the fourteen other minor name Democrats who will probably be running.
Notice that I called him the 2nd worst person to be governor, and the only way I'd ever support him is if it's him vs. Jindal (such as in the runoff).
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 11:50:43 AM »

For the record, HRC, you're an ass.  You rarely if ever contribute anything to the discussion on this forum other than snide remarks of no substance.

Well said! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies