Cambodian Free Trade Bill [Withdrawn]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cambodian Free Trade Bill [Withdrawn]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cambodian Free Trade Bill [Withdrawn]  (Read 848 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2007, 06:12:08 AM by Ebowed »

Cambodian Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Cambodia.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

Sponsor: Lewis Trondheim (prev.); The President pro tempore
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »

Cambodia has been rated the 151st out of 163 nations for 'transparancy' i.e the nation is classified as highly corrupt.

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2006

I hope that attention is given to allow for the provisions of the act to be rescinded should financial conditions, particularly financial security conditions fail to improve or are further compromised by the action or inaction of the Cambodian government.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:03:32 PM »

Cambodia has been rated the 151st out of 163 nations for 'transparancy' i.e the nation is classified as highly corrupt.

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2006

I hope that attention is given to allow for the provisions of the act to be rescinded should financial conditions, particularly financial security conditions fail to improve or are further compromised by the action or inaction of the Cambodian government.

Even though I am not a Senator, I feel compelled to speak on this topic.  I am a strong supporter of free trade, but when it comes to nations as corrupt as Cambodia, we must ease them into a freer trading relationship.  Instead of automatic free trade, perhaps we should try the lowering of tariffs on a much slower basis to if Cambodia's responds in any way by guaranteeing more freedom and openness.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 05:43:29 AM »

As the original sponsor of this bill, let me explain:

This bill was inspired by the Laos free trade bill. Like Laos, Cambodia is in many senses dependent on Viet Nam. (Laos and Viet Nam come in tied at 111th in that corruption survey, btw.) But unlike Laos and Viet Nam, Cambodia is actually a functioning democracy, if a flawed one. (The judiciary, especially, is notably flawed and dependent on the government.)
Yeah, the Communists (not the Red Khmer. Former Red Khmer sympathizers are actually more likely to support the royalist party, FUNCINPEC) win free elections in Cambodia. Of course they're not particularly communist anymore, but then so aren't the Vietnamese and Laotian Communists.

While I don't doubt that Cambodia's government's democratic credentials are indeed somewhat problematic, it's impossible not to note they're getting an undeservedly bad press from the US, and especially US Republicans. The Freedom House ratings, for example, are fairly laughable. While the longterm US embargo has been lifted a long while ago, Cambodia is one of the fairly few nations [interrupts writing to research whether some of the things he's going to claim are really true or whether he misremembers. Does indeed misremember some key facts. Trails off as he's not sure this bill is needed anymore.] Eh, yeah. Basically what's happening there is some people are still fighting the Vietnam War.
Anyhow, Cambodia has been a WTO member since 2004. Of course, since 2007 even Viet Nam is a WTO member, and Laos is in negotiations to join. Cambodia has enjoyed most favored nation status (ie normal trade relations) in the US since 1996, which is a good bit longer than I thought, but it took Congress 15 months of deliberations back then.

Sorry about this. Guess we don't need this bill.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 06:11:55 AM »

I withdraw the bill.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies