Laotian Free Trade Bill [Withdrawn]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:13:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Laotian Free Trade Bill [Withdrawn]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Laotian Free Trade Bill [Withdrawn]  (Read 1067 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2007, 02:53:07 AM »
« edited: June 03, 2007, 02:47:57 AM by Ebowed »

Laotian Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Laos.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

Sponsor: The President pro tempore
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »

Let's just start final passage, there is really no amendments to be made, the bill is pretty straightforth
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »

Any conservatives who vote for this bill are supporting a communist government.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »

Any conservatives who vote for this bill are supporting a communist government.

Or supporting FREE TRADE
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 02:03:00 AM »

Let's just start final passage, there is really no amendments to be made, the bill is pretty straightforth

That's not how it works, DWDL.  The bill must be on the floor for a minimum of 72 hours before final voting can begin, unless the PPT and VP agree that the legislation is particularly urgent, which, as sponsor of the bill, I can assure you it's not.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2007, 09:41:40 AM by Jas »

Ah...free trade, let's see how this goes down.
I put forward the following amendment to be added as Section 3 of the Bill.

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Laos to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of External Affairs in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Laos is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regression):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Laotian goods

ii. All Laotian goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Laos in its entirety.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »

What mythical creature is this? Wink
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 09:44:03 AM »

Smiley Thanks, it's been a while since the Hawk Doctrine made an appearance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Laos to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights.
since laos isn#t even paying lip service to these ideas right now... why bother? Why not just vote it down?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Laos to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights.
since laos isn#t even paying lip service to these ideas right now... why bother? Why not just vote it down?

They may be paying lip service to them now, and in all likelihood, this may continue regardless of this bill. (I would say that we don't actually know how effective, if all, the Hawk Doctrine had been in achieving its aims, as we've never had a GM report on any cases - not that one was ever expected.)

If they don't improve, the SoEA can reccomend to revoke the bill or alter the agreement, which I would probably support. If they do, then well and good.

Also, whatever about anything else, I do think the amendment improves the bill. There is a chance the bill could pass on a straight vote, which I wouldn't want, if it is going to pass I'd prefer the amendment (even if it is unlikely to succeed in its aims) attached.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »

I support the amendment, as it improves a bad bill, but will still vote against the final bill. After all of MasterJedi's crap I will not vote for a free trade bill under any circumstances whatsoever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 06:36:31 PM »

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Laos to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of External Affairs in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Laos is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regression)

It's not worth the waste of time, Senator.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »

I ask Porce to not be stupid and conceited and withdraw the bill due to large lack of support
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »

I ask Porce to not be stupid and conceited and withdraw the bill due to large lack of support

Seriously?

I ask you resign.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »

See, I was just sitting on Atlas Forum for the last 15 hours and looking at how the bill lacked support and was thinking I'd leave it there to spite the masses.

Or maybe I wasn't online.  (It does happen.)  So how am I being stupid and conceited by not immediately withdrawing it?

Now, I have done some more research on Laos' economic condition and the gist of what I've read seems to indicate that the normalization of trade relations between the U.S. and Laos has not had identifiably positive effects for the poor in Laos.  (That, and not influencing the Laotian government towards any particular change in policy, was the hoped intention behind the effects of the bill, if passed.)  I don't entirely believe this to be a lost cause, but when noting this in conjunction with the fact that this Senate appears unfriendly to the goals of the bill, I will withdraw it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies