4 May 1979
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:40:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  4 May 1979
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 4 May 1979  (Read 1139 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »

A date that is sure to make Al and a few others cringe...

Anyways, I've been re-reading Arthur Marwick's History of the British Isles and I figure I'd toss out a few questions and get some thoughts.

Was a "sea change" inevitable? Or was 4 May really an anti-labour vote rather than a mandate for Thatcher?

One might argue that the Labour Government deserved credit for coming through some serious challenges, circa 1976, but did it throw its chance to govern away (ala the early 1950s?)?

And to what extent did Irish/Scottish/Welsh nationalism bring about the "sea change"?

Thanks for the enlightenment.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »

(yes yes, I realize it should be, "chance to continue governing"...carry on)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 06:18:22 PM by Llafur »

A date that is sure to make Al and a few others cringe...

Cringe is the wrong word... but do note that anything that I say about this period might be a little biased. Just a warning.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Depends what you mean by a "sea change" doesn't it? Personally I'm not a believer in the existence of a genuine Post-War consensus so...

But the rise of a harder Right (if that's the best way to put it) within the Tory party was, or so thinketh I, inevitable due to demographic changes (related to Post-War affluence), while there was certainly a sea change within economic policy in the late '70's, but o/c that had happend under Labour.

So yes and no Smiley

It wasn't really either; it was mainly a backlash against the public sector unions. It certainly wasn't a mandate for the economic policies of the early '80's (which were responsible for a sudden collapse in manufacturing employment) that's for sure. O/c Thatcherism as we know it (or not) today wasn't really born until well into the early '80's.

I don't think so. But then I wouldn't, would I? Wink

But Labour in 1979 was a different thing to Labour in 1980...

The narrow "defeat" of the second and the rout of the third are one reason for the election being held so soon after the Winter of Discontent.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:25:34 PM »

But the rise of a harder Right (if that's the best way to put it) within the Tory party was, or so thinketh I, inevitable due to demographic changes (related to Post-War affluence)

The right of the 'harder right' wasn't immediate if you look closely and scrutinse the policy and policy makers of the '79 - '83 administration (which I hold in general good regard) even if all that is remembered of it is 'right to buy' and a tax raising budget. Mrs Thatcher was still at this time reminiscent of her old timid self of the late 60's and early 70's (where by party standards, on education, abortion and homosexuality she was actually quite liberal) and her first government reflected what she had inherited from Heath.

It was the Falklands and the landslide in 1983 that cemented the hard rights rise within Thatcher's inner circle and amongst some of the cabinet. Had that not happened as it did (and had Labour not been so inept) what we now refer to as Thatcherism would have been stillborn.

Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »

If you will give me a little time (just finished tallying 1951 by constituency), I'll be able to give you a more detailed explaination. From what I can remember from the 1979 replay I got the impression this was happening:

Scotland: SNP collapse (following the failed referendum) splitting 75 - 25 to Lab / Con (thus allowing Labour to gain Cathcart)
Wales: Plaid collapse (well, collapse as you can in those days) with all parties seeming to benefit
England: Definite Lab to Con swing, Liberals falling as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »

The right of the 'harder right' wasn't immediate if you look closely and scrutinse the policy and policy makers of the '79 - '83 administration (which I hold in general good regard) even if all that is remembered of it is 'right to buy' and a tax raising budget. Mrs Thatcher was still at this time reminiscent of her old timid self of the late 60's and early 70's (where by party standards, on education, abortion and homosexuality she was actually quite liberal) and her first government reflected what she had inherited from Heath.

Fair point, fair point, though I was thinking more of the growth of that group within the party rather than them taking it over (much as the rise of the hard Left within Labour was inevitable for different, though related, social changes. Btw, if the moderates had stayed in charge, who would the Tory version of John Golding have been? More as a curiosity than anything else).
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:44:39 PM »

Sir Ian Gilmour pretty much hated the right of the party. He'd be as good a candidate as any.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »

Sir Ian Gilmour pretty much hated the right of the party. He'd be as good a candidate as any.

If he didn't have the stomach for the, other contenders would probably be Jim Prior and later Peter Walker
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies