Cabinet Member Election Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:21:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cabinet Member Election Amendment  (Read 4636 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:51:53 AM »

1. Allow cabinet members to be voted on by the citizens of Atlasia.
2. Elections will run concurrently the presidential elections
3. There shall be no term limits for cabinet members
4. IRV voting will used as in all elections
5. This pertains to all cabinet positions and any created or renamed in the future

Sponsor: Sen. DownWithDaLeft
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:52:34 AM »

Stupid idea; the President is enough of a figurehead as it is.  I see no need to remove his ability to appoint a Cabinet.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:10:19 AM »

On the substantive matter proposed, I don't support reducing the powers of the Presidency. If anything it should be strengthened.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:26:09 AM »

This is part of a string of my amendments to give more power to the voters and increase the number of elections and elected positions to get the voters out.  However, I will offer this amendment to create a balance:

Scrap in full and replace with:

1. Cabinet members shall be appointed by the president
2. Before taking office, the cabinet member must be confirmed by the senate and then a simple majority of the Atlasian voters
3. The election will take place the weekend after the confirmation by the senate.
4. If the nominee is confirmed Thursday at noon or later, the election will take place the following week.

I think this gives the president the power to nominate who they like, but also gives the voters a say
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 07:31:27 AM »

This is part of a string of my amendments to give more power to the voters and increase the number of elections and elected positions to get the voters out.  However, I will offer this amendment to create a balance:

2. Before taking office, the cabinet member must be confirmed by the senate and then a simple majority of the Atlasian voters
3. The election will take place the weekend after the confirmation by the senate.
4. If the nominee is confirmed Thursday at noon or later, the election will take place the following week.

I think this gives the president the power to nominate who they like, but also gives the voters a say

Who would oversee these public votes, given that no SoFA would be in office?

By the way, on a drafting point, please include in the amendment where in the Constitution you want this to go and what should be removed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »

Why would the previous SoFA not be in office anymore?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 07:40:06 AM »

That's what I thought, and I would like this added under Article 1, Sec 6 of the Consitution as the new Section 7
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 07:45:40 AM »

The answer, as I should have noticed before, is that SoFAs don't get replaced in Atlasia, they resign.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 07:48:01 AM »

My understanding was that the SoFA (and the rest of the Cabinet) lose office upon the beginning of the new Presidential term. (This is based largely on my interpretation of the effects of
Article II, Section 1, Clause 4.)

Is there precedent for Cabinet officers staying on between the swearing-in of the new President and the Senate confirmation of another nominee?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »

Tack another Section on my amendment saying the VP conducts the election if there is no SoFA
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 07:56:01 AM »

Tack another Section on my amendment saying the VP conducts the election if there is no SoFA

What if there's no VP?  lolz.

These elections sound completely pointless btw.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 08:41:36 AM »

What if there's no VP?  lolz.

These elections sound completely pointless btw.

I would expect you to criticize any legislation I put forth, so thanks
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »

The cabinet is to be appointed by the President...... when the people choose left right or centre for President, they know full well the cabinet will most likely favour the Presidents views.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 09:34:23 AM »

The cabinet is to be appointed by the President...... when the people choose left right or centre for President, they know full well the cabinet will most likely favour the Presidents views.

I agree. This is redundancy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »

The idea is not to prevent the president when stacking his cabinet with cronies, is it meant to produce further elections.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 11:10:49 AM »

Why reduce the powers of the President even further by making all the positions elected? Why add another election to Atlasia right after we've finished with the Presidential elections? It is the executive's power to appoint a cabinet and its the Senate's to approve those appointments. An election would add more headaches for no apparent reason.

To be honest DWDL the legislation that you have produced in your time in the Senate has been of the same order as former Senator Naso's was, in many instances. When it isn't completely unconstitutional or incomprehensible, it calls for the most unncessary and unneeded changes.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »

Most of my ideas, (the last amendment, this one) were not my ideas at all and proposed to me by others.  Again, I was just introducing things to try and benefit my constituents.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »

...and then, ninety percent of the time, they're flabbergasted at just how wrong they were in assuming that. Tongue
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 02:24:58 PM »

...and then, ninety percent of the time, they're flabbergasted at just how wrong they were in assuming that. Tongue
The beauty of democracy
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 07:07:34 PM »

We don't need more elections, we already have too many running unopposed as it is. Do you really think we'd have very competitive elections for these positions?

I'm voting Nay.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »

We don't need more elections, we already have too many running unopposed as it is. Do you really think we'd have very competitive elections for these positions?

I'm voting Nay.

The election is a yea or nay election if the amendment passes so your point is not valid
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »

I'm voting Nay.

The election is a yea or nay election if the amendment passes so your point is not valid

"your point is not valid"

Seriously, when are you resigning?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

I'm voting Nay.

His point is not valid, why don't you actually read for once?  He is complaining about not enough people running in elections, but if there is an up or down vote on a candidate then there is no need to have multiple people.  TN2024, if anyone needs to resign it is you for using the senate's time for personal vendettas rather than senate business.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

I'm voting Nay.

His point is not valid, why don't you actually read for once?  He is complaining about not enough people running in elections, but if there is an up or down vote on a candidate then there is no need to have multiple people.  TN2024, if anyone needs to resign it is you for using the senate's time for personal vendettas rather than senate business.

Unfortunately, all the active Senators have expressed displeasure in you not me, so I have no plans to quit.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »

I'm voting Nay.

Unfortunately, all the active Senators have expressed displeasure in you not me, so I have no plans to quit.

I have never seen PBrunsel, BrandonH, Jas, Colin Wixted or Ernest call on me to resign, and some have not even expressed displeasure.  Sorry to soft you have become a whiny liberal
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies