Is Santorum Bush's best hope for a win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:56:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Is Santorum Bush's best hope for a win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Santorum Bush's best hope for a win?  (Read 2158 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2004, 06:06:54 PM »

This is an oppinion article from the Pittsburgh Trib.  Before I get the hatred of every Dem on the forum focused on me, please note that I am just reporting this.

The Battle of Pittsburgh

Tools Print this article
 E-mail this article
 Subscribe to this paper
 Larger / Smaller Text

By Joseph Sabino Mistick
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Not since the Battle of Gettysburg has so much depended on the outcome of a struggle on Pennsylvania soil. Back then, the North believed that God favored its side in the struggle to keep the Union intact; all those who supported the South believed that God was pulling for them.
T
he 2004 presidential election is no less ideologically divided. Again, the North and South are pretty fairly split numbers-wise, but this time the combatants are addressed by tossing the old magnetic nomenclature in favor of colors -- red states and blue states.

Unlike Lincoln's times, the nation is not about to rupture, but our role in the world and the centrality of the American citizen may be charted for generations. The winning side will claim a mandate -- no matter how slim the margin.

For a while after 9/11, we found ourselves in unfamiliar territory -- feeling our way along and making up much of our response as we went. But finally, the lines are well-drawn, the sides clearly defined and the choices easily identified.

And once again, either by serendipity or as a result of some supreme being's master plan, the fork in the road is squarely on Pennsylvania soil -- swing state soil. Even more specifically, this battle -- the election of the president -- is being fought in Pittsburgh.

In play

Give Philadelphia to the Democrats and the vast center of the state to the Republicans; politically fickle Pittsburgh is the only piece left to fight about. And in Pittsburgh, long ago a bastion of Democrat power, the voters have mastered the art of ticket splitting -- sprinkling their votes between Democrats and Republicans.

The newest quasi-resident of the region, Sen. John Kerry, comes by his Pittsburgh roots honestly. His wife Teresa Heinz Kerry is a philanthropic superstar in these parts and has maintained an impressive estate just outside the city. Because of this, he is a few "yinzes" away from adoption by the locals.

So it was here in the 'Burgh that Kerry chose to announce that John Edwards would be his running mate. And it was in the rolling hills that surround this old steel town that the Kerry and Edwards families presented themselves to the nation and the world.

And the Bush-Cheney team is not to be outdone. Pennsylvania voters are being courted by the Republicans like the only girl at an all-boys high school. Scores of presidential and vice presidential visits to Pittsburgh alone make you wonder how they have time to visit any other towns and still run the country.

But being a frequent visitor is still a long way from spending weekends at your cabin just upstream from the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers. While the Republicans search for a way to strengthen their hand here, they may be considering a solution that solves more than just the Pennsylvania problem.

Cheney's future

As a Republican analyst said a while back, Dick Cheney can serve George Bush just as well from any number of administration positions. Secretary of State Colin Powell -- a lonely and cautious voice from the bush of the neo-con political wilderness -- could easily make room for Cheney in the State Department. Cheney has usurped much of that role already.

They must be aware that Republican success in Pennsylvania in recent years has depended on giving voters a clear philosophical choice. As their candidates have moved toward the center and have begun to sound more like Democrats, the Democrat voters around here are likely to stick with their own party.

So who does George Bush tap as his running mate? A want-ad would read something like this: "Candidate/Vice President of the United States -- Impeccable conservative credentials. Finely honed political instincts. Energetic and youthful. Possibility of advancement in four years. Pennsylvania residency required.

That sounds a lot like U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, doesn't it? And they could even make the announcement in Pittsburgh's Market Square.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:51:08 PM »

I would like to see a VP Santorum but...

1) won't happen
2) Santorum would have to resign from the Senate and Rendell picks his replacement and that is no good!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 06:51:16 PM »

oh man, can you imagine Kerry's attack ads? Say goodbye to almost all socially moderate to socially liberal Republicans! ha ha, that'd rock.

not happening though, because of Rendell.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 07:16:23 PM »

Thank god for Rendell then.... Santorum would be a nightmare.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 07:38:55 PM »

Thank god for Rendell then.... Santorum would be a nightmare.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 08:47:12 PM »

Because they don' think Santorum can be President?  Then I guess I'm not a real Republican either.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 09:10:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No,  The best hope for Bush is that "easy on the eyes" little honey of a daughter of his.  Desperate move, or smart move, getting Jenna out on the trail?  From sea to shining sea, I suspect most Americans age 9 to 90 are rooting for her.  Santorum has a sort of "okay" rear end, but he's also got real hairy legs.  Americans simple don't like hairy legs on their senators.  Or so an aide to Senator Barbara Mikulski said.

- Alfie
no thanks, lost my appetite.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 09:27:14 PM »

LOL
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 10:58:19 AM »

Replacing Cheney with Santorum may win PA for Bush, but it would definitely cost him elsewhere.  I think he could then write off Ohio, Missouri, Nevada.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 01:24:27 PM »

The problem is this.

Pittsburgh essentially is the swing area for this election. No doubt.

However, if Kerry runs up the score in Metro Philly...which is possible, but I'm not sure it will happen yet...even if Bush wins the pittsburgh area...it won't matter because the margin is just too big, even with the T going republican strongly.

Bush needs to be in the very high 40s in the philly burbs to have a chance to have pittsburgh put him over the top.

if he's in the middle or low 40s, its done...give the state to kerry.
raggage

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 07:31:20 PM »

Choosing Santorum as VP, for the republicans would be like choosing Edward Kennedy as the Dem Candidate.

Santorum is an idiot and should be chased out of town, I'm amazed the smart people of PA voted him into office.
Nobody from the extreme-right wing of the GOP will ever win all round republican support or that of independants.

Similarly Kennedy is probably the single reason republicans complain about so-called 'whiny libs'. He is too liberal for independants and the mainstream Democratic party. He too would alienate independants in a presidential election.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 08:09:59 PM »

Choosing Santorum as VP, for the republicans would be like choosing Edward Kennedy as the Dem Candidate.

Santorum is an idiot and should be chased out of town, I'm amazed the smart people of PA voted him into office.
Nobody from the extreme-right wing of the GOP will ever win all round republican support or that of independants.

Similarly Kennedy is probably the single reason republicans complain about so-called 'whiny libs'. He is too liberal for independants and the mainstream Democratic party. He too would alienate independants in a presidential election.

WOW, for once Alfie is funny and non-insulting and someone else steps up to the plate withnothing to offer but name calling.
raggage

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 08:37:23 PM »

I object. I truly do believe that Santorum is an idiot, as his religious views obstruct his better judgement. I am not here to 'name-call' as such, and personally I think I gave a rather unbiased account of both sides. Yes I called Santorum an idiot, but that is my true opinion.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »

I object. I truly do believe that Santorum is an idiot, as his religious views obstruct his better judgement. I am not here to 'name-call' as such, and personally I think I gave a rather unbiased account of both sides. Yes I called Santorum an idiot, but that is my true opinion.

So you aren't name calling, you honestly believe that Santorum has an IQ of less than 25?  He wouldn't be able to reason out an intellegable sentance it that were the case.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 09:24:09 PM »

A Dem Pipe Dream!
raggage

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »

So you aren't name calling, you honestly believe that Santorum has an IQ of less than 25?  He wouldn't be able to reason out an intellegable sentance it that were the case.

Ok.. In that case I withdraw and apologize. However I did not mean to imply that he is lacking in intelligence, rather he is lacking in a broad enough view of society as a whole to be a worthwhile politician
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 04:11:43 AM »

Ok.. In that case I withdraw and apologize. However I did not mean to imply that he is lacking in intelligence, rather he is lacking in a broad enough view of society as a whole to be a worthwhile politician

There you go, that's all you had to say.  Smiley  Damn, I had a trap laid out and everything.  Expected you to take the bait.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies