Do you support universal health care?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:07:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support universal health care?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you think the government should provide a national health insurance program for all Americans, even if this would require higher taxes?
Yes / Dem

No / Dem

Yes / GOP

No / GOP

Yes / Other

No / Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Do you support universal health care?  (Read 7228 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 06:02:21 AM »

A constitution is written precisely so that a government does not so readily fluctuate with 'the times,' or more precisely, the passions (often irrational) of the present political majority. The objection is not to a particular method of interpreting a constitution, but to the very nature of a constitution itself.

Sounds like a quotation from someone, but, from whom?

Uh, what? The 'quotation' is from me.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 07:06:19 AM »

A constitution is written precisely so that a government does not so readily fluctuate with 'the times,' or more precisely, the passions (often irrational) of the present political majority. The objection is not to a particular method of interpreting a constitution, but to the very nature of a constitution itself.

I don't think you are allowed to quote yourself under Straha's new and improved Constitution.  Smiley
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »

I don't think you are allowed to quote yourself under Straha's new and improved Constitution.  Smiley
My Constittion 2.0 doesn't remove the free speech clause. In fact it strenghens it to prevent things like FCC censorship, mandating censorship of the internet in schools/libraries. You fail.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2007, 08:47:02 AM »

Yes/Other

"What? But Verily, your economic score says that you're slightly to the right!"

"Universal health care is one of the only high-expenditure government programs that I think is essential to a stable and productive society. If it and increased spending on public education were in place, we wouldn't need drains like social security and welfare and the drive for profit margins within the insurance industry, and we could lower taxes and increase national productivity."
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2007, 06:52:02 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2007, 12:39:01 PM by Bobby Lee Swagger »

However, it would still result in HUGE increases in government spending and tax increases.

Then how come government's in country's that have some form of "universal" health care spend less money (as a %) than the U.S does? Hey, even Canada (which has an incredibly inefficient system) spends less!
Part of that is that the US currently requires hospitals treat people regardless of ability to pay, thus driving up costs when the uninsured inevitably get hurt or sick. Other countries obviously do not do this and have strict price controls. However, equal access is not much better at all in practice in countries like the UK or Canada, in fact in some respects it's gotten worse over the years (despite repeated government pledges to remedy it). And countries with fully socialized medicine are prone to a variety of ills such as shortages (sometimes caused by rationing), increased waiting times, etc. as I mentioned earlier.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2007, 07:46:19 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2007, 07:48:02 AM by Governor Bono »

However, it would still result in HUGE increases in government spending and tax increases.

Then how come government's in country's that have some form of "universal" health care spend less money (as a %) than the U.S does? Hey, even Canada (which has an incredibly inefficient system) spends less!
In the United States, government at its various levels now accounts for roughly 45% of health care spending. (And by "now", I mean 2004, the latest year for which OECD data are available. In 2004, of course, the government provided little prescription drug coverage, which means that currently, government coverage is even higher.) The United States spends about 15.3% of total GDP on healthcare. That means that government spending on health care consumes about 7.7% of GDP. Canada spends 9.9% of GDP on healthcare. France spends 10.5% of GDP. What is the magic route by which we are going to cover all the people not currently covered by government insurance for 2.2-2.8% of GDP?

American health spending is higher because of a variety of factors, including greater quality of medicine, absence of rationing (which is rampant in the UK and Canada), greater consumer information and choice, and higher incidence of lifestyle derived health-care problems.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »

I most definitely would.

Overall, universal coverage would save the country more money than it would cost it in the long run, especially if one makes even a token attempt to quantify the non-monetary expenses of the current system.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2007, 11:32:31 AM »

I really don't understand this debate the government already spends the money required to run a federal health infrastructure. I believe the problem is with morality, corruption, ethics, accountability and universal responsibility. People do not take steps to prevent their health from failing and the suppliers of health are trying to find more ways of tying strings around quarters.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »

NDN
Uganda

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2007, 12:42:47 PM by Bobby Lee Swagger »

In the United States, government at its various levels now accounts for roughly 45% of health care spending. (And by "now", I mean 2004, the latest year for which OECD data are available. In 2004, of course, the government provided little prescription drug coverage, which means that currently, government coverage is even higher.) The United States spends about 15.3% of total GDP on healthcare. That means that government spending on health care consumes about 7.7% of GDP. Canada spends 9.9% of GDP on healthcare. France spends 10.5% of GDP. What is the magic route by which we are going to cover all the people not currently covered by government insurance for 2.2-2.8% of GDP?

American health spending is higher because of a variety of factors, including greater quality of medicine, absence of rationing (which is rampant in the UK and Canada), greater consumer information and choice, and higher incidence of lifestyle derived health-care problems.
Excellent points Bono. Let's not forget that the US leads the world in medical innovations still, and has high patient satisfaction for exactly the reasons you stated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:29 PM »

What is the magic route by which we are going to cover all the people not currently covered by government insurance for 2.2-2.8% of GDP?

I'd always assumed that you are far too intelligent to make an assumption quite that stupid. You are perfectly well aware that the American health industry is comically inefficient (and quite deliberately so), even when compared to the Canadian system.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The main reason why it's so much higher is (beyond some very inefficient government programmes) because the health industry screws people financially (as is inevitable in a system dominated by private healthcare; there is (and I've made this point endlessly) no incentive for things to be different). And to assert that there is no "rationing" is wrong. Healthcare is, of course, a finate resource and has to be (and is) rationed under any system. In America it's rationed with money.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »

If by 'universal health care' we mean a single-payer system, then absolutely not. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »

At a very decentralized level, yes. Or at least some form of provision for any citizen, but I don't have anything against private health care as long as the goverment and the private sector don't entwine each other too much.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2007, 02:34:58 PM by Governor Bono »

What is the magic route by which we are going to cover all the people not currently covered by government insurance for 2.2-2.8% of GDP?

I'd always assumed that you are far too intelligent to make an assumption quite that stupid. You are perfectly well aware that the American health industry is comically inefficient (and quite deliberately so), even when compared to the Canadian system.
About 10% of health insurance premiums go to administrative costs. This greater than in most other countries, but it not a huge amount compared to, say, Germany with 5.7%, and it is certainly not great enough to allow you to avoid my question--even with cutting those administrative cots in half, covering everyone else that is not covered by the government would still greatly exceed 2.2-2.8% of GDP. Also, the American system still has much higher standards of healthcare, a much higher degree of patient choice and no waiting lists. In systems with competing health insurers, there will always be some duplication of effort between the different companies which drives up the administrative costs, but all those companies are all working to meet the needs of patients.

The main reason why it's so much higher is (beyond some very inefficient government programmes) because the health industry screws people financially (as is inevitable in a system dominated by private healthcare; there is (and I've made this point endlessly) no incentive for things to be different). And to assert that there is no "rationing" is wrong. Healthcare is, of course, a finate resource and has to be (and is) rationed under any system. In America it's rationed with money.
[/quote]

And tax based systems don't screw people financially? Also, if the government programs are inefficient now, what makes you think they will magically become efficient once they are extended to the general population?
Your mistake is that tax-financed systems don't produce any sort of equality either--unless it's equality in misery like Canada's monopolist nightmare. Instead, you get organizations like NICE in the NHS denying patients the more modern treatments and dooming them to sub-optimal standards of care, and those who can afford it after the massive taxes required to pay for socialized medicine resort to the private sector, creating the same problem you were trying to avoid.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2007, 05:24:44 AM »

At a very decentralized level, yes. Or at least some form of provision for any citizen, but I don't have anything against private health care as long as the goverment and the private sector don't entwine each other too much.

That's the problem with the system we have as it stands now. We have way way to much government paperwork involved in health insurance. It didn't go to hell until HMOs came about and prior to the 1980s this country had no problems handling a private healthcare industry, hell in the '70s into the early '80s doctors made house calls!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2007, 05:59:51 AM »

That's the problem with the system we have as it stands now. We have way way to much government paperwork involved in health insurance. It didn't go to hell until HMOs came about and prior to the 1980s this country had no problems handling a private healthcare industry, hell in the '70s into the early '80s doctors made house calls!

And HMOs are a creature of the state, that wouldn't exist without the fiscal benefits and other privileges granted to them by the government.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2007, 06:38:06 AM »

About 10% of health insurance premiums go to administrative costs. This greater than in most other countries, but it not a huge amount compared to, say, Germany with 5.7%,

10% is more than 5.7%. Was that a typo? If so, I'm not exactly a great fan of the German healthcare system either.

And you continue to completely miss my point.

...if you have enough money.

...but only because the rationing is done on the basis of ability to pay, rather than on need.

No, they're working to make a profit for their shareholders.

Only people who make enough money not to be hurt by being screwed financially. Which is, of course, fine by me.

I've never thought that simply extending the existing government programmes to the rest of the population would be a good idea; after all, the problem with them isn't that they are government programmes but that they are badly designed government programmes.

Perfectly equal, no. (Much) more equal than what exists in the States right now? Yes.

I somehow doubt that everyone in Canada is made miserable by their healthcare system...

Distorting reality to fit in with your view of the world is a very Marxist trait you know.

NICE certainly isn't perfect (and neither is the NHS; or any other healthcare system), but it's problems come more from an obsession with spending as little money as possible (other things as well (including extreme scepticism about the safety of new drugs) but that's the main thing) rather than anything more sinister. And, with a few silly exceptions, it doesn't actually do a bad job.

How much do you know about the NHS, beyond the usual ultra-free-market-propaganda/tabloid-scare-stories?

I realise that personal anecdotes are far from perfect, but I've spent a great deal of the past decade in hospital (several different hospitals I might add) and I've never experienced anything that could be sanely thought of as "sub-optimal standards of care".
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2007, 07:58:59 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2007, 01:49:16 PM by Governor Bono »

About 10% of health insurance premiums go to administrative costs. This greater than in most other countries, but it not a huge amount compared to, say, Germany with 5.7%,

10% is more than 5.7%. Was that a typo? If so, I'm not exactly a great fan of the German healthcare system either.
I meant that it wasn't a huge increase. Sorry if I wasn't clear. And the German system is much better than the UK system, since while not completely market-based, it's a social insurance system that allows for much greater patient choice and more free market elements, with no gatekeepers. I guess that's why you don't like it...

And you continue to completely miss my point.[/quote]
Then what is your point? I've already shown that even if administrative costs were reduced to half, the cost of covering everyone else would still exceed those 2.2-2.8% of GDP. Any further savings would have to be done by cuts in medical care, which are the fate of socialized medicine.

...but only because the rationing is done on the basis of ability to pay, rather than on need.[/quote]
Of those uninsured, about a third are from homes with incomes greater than $50,000. Ten million of the rest are actually eligible for Medicaid but don't apply. I'm not saying the system is trouble free, but the problems lie in the fact that due to a bad tax structure, health insurance is seen as something your employer must provide for you, rather than as something you should buy. This creates less competition among insurance companies and other problems, as is detailed in my post here.

No, they're working to make a profit for their shareholders.[/quote]
Which they achieve by serving the needs of patients--their costumers.

Only people who make enough money not to be hurt by being screwed financially. Which is, of course, fine by me.[/quote]
People are screwed financially because their money is being siphoned into a socialist failure which will screw them over if they ever get sick, and as a result are less able to buy adequate health care.

I've never thought that simply extending the existing government programmes to the rest of the population would be a good idea; after all, the problem with them isn't that they are government programmes but that they are badly designed government programmes.[/quote]
Well put more generally, what makes you think the government and the general health system will become efficient once socialism sets in, especially given the track record of efficiency for socialist systems.

I somehow doubt that everyone in Canada is made miserable by their healthcare system...[/quote]
Just everyone who gets sick. There you can't even buy your own health care, so short of going to the US to get treatment, if they are rationing what you need you're dead.

Distorting reality to fit in with your view of the world is a very Marxist trait you know.

NICE certainly isn't perfect (and neither is the NHS; or any other healthcare system), but it's problems come more from an obsession with spending as little money as possible (other things as well (including extreme scepticism about the safety of new drugs) but that's the main thing) rather than anything more sinister. And, with a few silly exceptions, it doesn't actually do a bad job.[/quote]
An obsession with rationing, you're basically conceding my point. There is no excuse for people in a developed country not to receive immediate access to medical inovations which could save their lives or increase their quality of life.

How much do you know about the NHS, beyond the usual ultra-free-market-propaganda/tabloid-scare-stories?

I realise that personal anecdotes are far from perfect, but I've spent a great deal of the past decade in hospital (several different hospitals I might add) and I've never experienced anything that could be sanely thought of as "sub-optimal standards of care".
[/quote]
Other than waiting list reports, not much, but I have a greater familiarity with the Portuguese National Health Service, which is based on the British model.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies