Most vulnerable House freshmen (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:26:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most vulnerable House freshmen (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you consider these to be the most vulnerable House freshmen?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Most vulnerable House freshmen  (Read 4518 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »

Loebsack? Haha.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

Here's my rankings:

First tier: The GOP is pretty much guaranteed at least 2 of those, and has at least a 50/50 chance of taking all three:

Lampson
Carney
Mahoney

In that order. Lampson is clearly the most vulnerable, while Mahoney has the best chance of hanging on.

Second tier: Almost guranteed of one, 50/50 chance at taking 2, and between a 1 in 3 and 1 in 4 chance of taking them all:

Hall
Kagen
Boyda

Also in that order.

Walz, against his current opponent, is not too vulnerable. Dick Day is a horribly incompetant State Senator from a district that isn't likely to make too much of a dent in Walz's strongholds, plus he's about as charismatic and articulate as Mark Kennedy.

Aside form that, Walz has a very strong base. He outperformed Klobuchar in Blue Earth and Nicollet counties, and even carried Olmsted, his opponent's home county and where his whole political career has been based. Also Mower and Freeborn counties, while DFL, are pro-incumbent, and as a result Gutknecht overperformed there. Walz should get a boost there now. The rest of the district is pretty solidly Republican, but doesn't have enough votes to win.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »

I see Hall as being so vulnerable because what he represents is basically a RINO district but still conservative enough to vote for Bush. A more moderate Democrat could certainly hold it, but Hall is one of the most liberal members of the freshman class, and the GOP bench is pretty deep. I've seen Hall as likely to hang on only if the GOP ends up nominating a Bachmann-esque candidate, could be wrong, but we'll see who they run.

The most amusing thing about Loebsack is he's probably the single safest one of the Democratic freshmen.

I would add to that list Heather Wilson, John Doolittle, Rick Renzi and Frank LoBiondo.

None of whom are freshmen.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »

BTW, MN-01 is more marginal than PA-04, and I would definitely have Walz as safer than Altmire, also because Altmire is much more likely to face a strong candidate. The GOP bench here sucks, they have plenty of potential candidates, but none are likely to appeal district-wide since they're all mostly extreme incompetents (Mark Kennedy-esque) and/or wingnuts. And no one is able to break Walz's big margins in Blue Earth/Nicollet and Freeborn/Mower counties.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:23:52 PM »

Gore won the old seat before redistricting. The seat after redistricting voted about 52% for Bush.

The problem is that while the seat is basically split down the middle politically, it's very partisan, Republicans vote Republican, Democrats vote Democratic. I still think Mahoney will win if the GOP nominates a far right winger though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies