The Hill: Tinker files to take on Cohen again, setting up racially charged prima
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:24:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Tinker files to take on Cohen again, setting up racially charged prima
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Tinker files to take on Cohen again, setting up racially charged prima  (Read 1969 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:41:35 AM »

By Aaron Blake
June 07, 2007

Democrat Nikki Tinker, who finished second to freshman Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) in last year’s primary, has filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission, setting up a rematch with racial overtones.

Cohen is one of few white members ever to represent a majority-black district — a distinction he gained after winning a jam-packed 15-candidate primary to succeed then-Rep. Harold Ford Jr. (D-Tenn.) as the Democratic nominee in the Memphis district.

Tinker, a black former campaign manager for Ford, has been very visible in the district since her loss last August. But until she filed her papers Friday, she had been mum about a repeat bid, and she didn’t raise any money in the first quarter of this cycle.

Cohen won 31 percent of the primary vote to top a field full of black candidates. But many expected he would face another challenge from the city’s black population.

If that community rallies around Tinker, instead of splitting its vote among several candidates like last time, it could spell trouble for Cohen. The district is about 60 percent black. Tinker won 25 percent of the vote, while three other black candidates finished with around 10 percent each.

Cohen said yesterday that he is very confident he would beat Tinker one-on-one. He pointed to the overwhelming advantage he won among black voters against a black independent candidate in the general election.

“I don’t see it as being close at all,” Cohen said. “I’m afraid Ms. Tinker is not aware of how far we’ve come in race relations — how far the entire community, but particularly the African-American community, has come in terms of judging somebody based on their efforts and their work and the content of their character, not the color of their skin.”

The black independent Cohen faced last year was Jake Ford, Harold’s brother, who has indicated he might run in the Democratic primary this year.

Jake Ford finished a distant second to Cohen with about 22 percent of the vote, slightly ahead of the GOP candidate. But his independent bid, in which he attempted to win as the only black candidate in the race, infuriated the party brass. He terminated his campaign committee in April.

Other Fords who could run include Joe Ford (D), a Shelby County commissioner and brother of former Rep. Harold Ford Sr. (D), and his son Joe Ford Jr. (D), who finished third in the primary last year after moving back to the district, say local Democratic sources.

Joe Ford Jr. would have to move back again from California, where he practices law.

Among other top primary finishers, attorney Ed Stanton is unlikely to run — he has also terminated his campaign committee — and former Shelby commissioner Julian Bolton is considered a possibility. Other candidates could emerge from this year’s Memphis mayoral race, which has relegated the congressional race to the back burner for the time being. Mayoral candidates such as four-term Mayor Willie Herenton are seen as possible congressional candidates if they lose.

“Everybody here is pretty much focused on the mayor’s race, for the most part,” said Shelby County Democratic Party Chairman Matt Kuhn. “There really isn’t a whole lot of talk about the 9th district congressional race.”

Meanwhile, Cohen has continued to build on his service to the black community, hiring many black staffers and focusing on racial issues.

After initially saying he would try to become the first white member of the Congressional Black Caucus, Cohen backed off that pledge and said he and the CBC would “just be buddies.”

In the 2006 primary, Cohen won less than 20 percent of predominantly black precincts and more than 80 percent of mostly white ones, according to an analysis by the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Cohen acknowledged the 2008 campaign will likely again be divisive.

“In the last campaign, the only issues that were tossed out were basically my religion [Judaism], my race and my gender,” Cohen said. “That’s not what Memphis needs; that’s not what America needs.”

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said yesterday that it will support Cohen in the primary. “We have a long-standing policy of supporting incumbent members,” spokeswoman Kyra Jennings said.

Tinker led Cohen handily in fundraising last year with nearly $600,000 and was endorsed by EMILY’s List. She entered this cycle with less than $5,000 but no debt.

Cohen raised $43,000 in the first quarter and has $165,000 in cash on hand.

Tinker could not be reached this week in her office.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/tinker-files-to-take-on-cohen-again-setting-up-racially-charged-primary-2007-06-07.html
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:36:08 AM »

Every election in Memphis is racially charged
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »

If its Tinker vs. Cohen, say hello to Congresswoman Tinker.

Personally, I respect and admire Steve Cohen.  He's done a lot of good for the state and stands up for what he believes in. 

That being said, I get a chuckle when the white Dems around here get all offended that African-Americans might want "their own" seat back in Congress.   Whatever happened to Affirmative Action; to wanting African-Americans to have equal representation in positions of power?

It is Republicans that argue that we shouldn't judge people on account of their  skin color. It is Republicans who have promoted African-Americans, like J.C. Watts, to lead in overwhelmingly white districts.  It just seems to me that white Dems in Memphis want to have it both ways.  They want us to judge students and employees differently, through Affirmative Action, in order to make up for past and present discrimination; but they ask that blacks be color-blind in voting for their member of Congress.

I'd probably vote for Steve Cohen if I were a Democrat.  But I won't flinch when Nikki Tinker kicks his smug honky ass and teaches his white liberal supporters a valuable lesson.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »

That being said, I get a chuckle when the white Dems around here get all offended that African-Americans might want "their own" seat back in Congress.   Whatever happened to Affirmative Action; to wanting African-Americans to have equal representation in positions of power?

I don't support Affirmative Action. Next point?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »

I don't support Affirmative Action. Next point?

What does that have to do with anything?  Anything.  You are not the Democrat party.  You are not one-1 millionth of the Democratic Party.  You are as much a member of the Democratic Party of Cohen's district as I or Don are.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »

Don was making a point to "the liberals on the forum". This includes me.

Anyway, at the end of this year I'll be moving to a majority white district with a black Congressman. That cancels out Cohen.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 07:37:55 PM »

Whatever happened to Affirmative Action; to wanting African-Americans to have equal representation in positions of power?

I can't think of a single Democrat on this forum who argues in favor of such a thing.  By chastising Democrats for not supporting it, you seem to act as if you want affirmative action to continue, which makes me confused as you then go on to praise Republicans for doing the identical thing.  Shouldn't you be celebrating the rejection of affirmative action everywhere?
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:16:45 PM »

Why do Conservatives oppose Affirmative Action then when they elect a President do nothing but practice it (Colin Powell, Gonzalez, Rice, and half the administration)?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 12:26:15 AM »

Huh?  No, I wasn't referring to liberals on the forum - "white liberals around here" refers to the cadre of white liberals in Memphis.  The white-lib bloggers are all up in arms because Nikki Tinker dares to challenge their hero.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 12:32:58 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2007, 12:35:56 AM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

Why do Conservatives oppose Affirmative Action then when they elect a President do nothing but practice it (Colin Powell, Gonzalez, Rice, and half the administration)?

So now you are resorting to insulting the talents and abilities of Powell, Gonzalez, and Rice because of their skin color?  Colin Powell was the most qualified man in the country for a cabinet position - he really would have been better placed as our Presidential nominee.  Condi Rice is also exceptionally qualified for her job and both of these individuals served in the GHWB administration.  Gonzo is a friend of the President, and being hispanic shouldn't preclude one from accessing the priveledges of connections Tongue  These officials aren't the result of systematic reverse discrmination, a.k.a. Affirmative Action, they are a result of a President who hired the most qualified and capable people for their respective jobs and those people happened to be African-American.

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »

Anyway, at the end of this year I'll be moving to a majority white district with a black Congressman. That cancels out Cohen.

"cancels out"?

Blacks are 12% of the country, but only have 40 members of the House and 1 member of the Senate.  If they had 12% of those bodies, there would be 52 Reps and 12 Senators.  Now tell me again how your buddy Ellison "cancels out" the denial of another African-American voice in Congress?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »

Unless a country has PR, it's always going to have this sort of disrepency. But if it's OK for a majority white district to elect blacks, it's certainly OK for a majority black district to elect whites. Cohen is a far better Rep who serves that district far better than whatever ultra-corrupt Ford family jerkoff who would hold it otherwise.

If you actually want more black Congresspeople, then you are definitely voting for the wrong party. You also didn't vote that way last election when you had a chance to put in another black Senator. Furthermore, I don't see why you would, since they mostly tend to be race-baiting jackasses, which is what racial gerrymandering is mostly to blame for. Do you actually want MORE Cynthia McKinneys and Sheila Jackson-Lees?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »

If it is okay for Steve Cohen to have won election because of race (winning the Dem primary with ~30%, garnering 80% of the white vote and a fraction of the split black vote), then it should certainly okay for Nikki Tinker to win because of race.

You also didn't vote that way last election when you had a chance to put in another black Senator. Furthermore, I don't see why you would, since they mostly tend to be race-baiting jackasses, which is what racial gerrymandering is mostly to blame for. Do you actually want MORE Cynthia McKinneys and Sheila Jackson-Lees?

No, I want more J.C. Watts, Gary Franks, and Michael Steeles.  I'm no fan of Nikki Tinker, but she would fall more in line with Artur Davis or Ford Jr. himself.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 11:53:56 PM »

If it is okay for Steve Cohen to have won election because of race (winning the Dem primary with ~30%, garnering 80% of the white vote and a fraction of the split black vote), then it should certainly okay for Nikki Tinker to win because of race.

You also didn't vote that way last election when you had a chance to put in another black Senator. Furthermore, I don't see why you would, since they mostly tend to be race-baiting jackasses, which is what racial gerrymandering is mostly to blame for. Do you actually want MORE Cynthia McKinneys and Sheila Jackson-Lees?

No, I want more J.C. Watts, Gary Franks, and Michael Steeles.  I'm no fan of Nikki Tinker, but she would fall more in line with Artur Davis or Ford Jr. himself.

Don't you think that competent representation should be a little more important than what color the representative's skin happens to be by birth?
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 01:05:57 AM »

So now you are resorting to insulting the talents and abilities of Powell, Gonzalez, and Rice because of their skin color? 

No, the above three people were (or are) incompetent in their roles to which they were hired.  The only one that wasn't a complete disgrace was Powell who left a long time ago.  The other two were completely unqualified for the positions they filled, especially Gonzalez whose legal skills as well as ethics are both lacking.  But I guess it's ok to head the current DOJ with lacking legal skills as Bush has made hiring Regent Law School (4th Tier Christian school) a priority at the DOJ.  At least he is hiring completely unqualified white people too to balance things out.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 09:47:01 AM »

A fair point actually
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »

I would've voted for Cohen, not because he was white, but because he was the most liberal guy running and he doesn't belong in jail like every member of the Ford family except Harold.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 04:23:08 PM »

I wonder if Yvette Clarke would've challenged David Yassky if he'd won in that majority-black district.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 12:24:40 PM »

Don't you think that competent representation should be a little more important than what color the representative's skin happens to be by birth?

Silly Canadian,  Of course it should be.   But we have a long history of subjugation and discrimination and these things have to be dealt with.  I'm okay with having a white liberal Congressman, but I'm getting a bit concerned by white liberals getting "uppity".  Carol Chumney (white lib dem) is currently the front runner for city mayor, against several black candidates.  Isn't it a bad precedent to keep diminishing the presence of black elected officials in an overwhelmingly black community, especially when there is a great disparity in the number of black officials across the country?

Again I point out that Steve Cohen is our Congressman because of a split in the black vote - his whiteness was used to gain election, so why shouldn't it be used to lose election?  I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 12:25:26 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2007, 12:27:32 PM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

I would've voted for Cohen, not because he was white, but because he was the most liberal guy running and he doesn't belong in jail like every member of the Ford family except Harold.

Why do you hate black people?

No member of the Ford family was running in the 9th CD Democratic primary last year.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 07:00:10 PM »

No member of the Ford family was running in the 9th CD Democratic primary last year.

BTRD never said Jake Ford was running in the 9th CD Democratic primary. It's ironic that a Southern Republican would accuse a Democrat from Minnesota of hating black people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »

I don't hate blacks, I hate corrupt scumbags like the Ford family (except Harold of course). I'm supporting a black for President and will be voting for a black for House-unlike don.

Considering that it's Memphis, I'm pretty sure at least someone in the primary last year was blatantly corrupt. Cohen isn't. He's also one of only 3 TN State Senators to vote against banning gay marriage. That alone would get him my vote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 06:17:28 AM »

BTRD never said Jake Ford was running in the 9th CD Democratic primary. It's ironic that a Southern Republican would accuse a Democrat from Minnesota of hating black people.

Not when you consider that Don is, politically at least, actually a very old fashioned Southern Republican.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies