Pawns of Power: an RPG
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:48:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Pawns of Power: an RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Pawns of Power: an RPG  (Read 49161 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2004, 11:09:34 PM »
« edited: July 24, 2004, 03:03:06 AM by M »

Final Game Roster

Kingdom 1, Despotic Federated Republic of the English Speaking Peoples (usually shortened to Despotic Federation)
Josh22
Jesse Helms, ex-Senator from North Carolina and Conservative icon
Dukeguy06@aol.com
AIM-Dukeguy06

Kingdom 2, Viceroyalty of the Americas
Supersoulty
Sammy Sosa, baseball legend
soult001@gannon.edu

Kingdom 3, European Zollverein
Hughento
Alexander Krasniewski, President of Poland
hughento@hotmail.com

Kingdom 4, Russian Empire
Ilikeverin
Garry Kasparov, chess legend
simmerdude@comcast.net
Vacation e-mail: illikeverin@yahoo.com

Kingdom 5, Arabian Caliphate
StatesRights
Abdullah II al-Hashimiyyah, King of Jordan, rightful sharif of Mecca, descendant of the Prophet, head of the Hashemite House
JeffHokie@msn.com

Kingdom 6, Hindustani Empire
Lasloo Prasad (Lewis Trondheim)
Lasloo Prasad Yadav, ex-PM and husband of PM of Bihar
martinschaumffm@aol.com

Kingdom 7, Middle Kingdom
Demonking
Jet Li, Action star
revenant05@gmail.com

Kingdom 8, Pacific Rim Co-Prosperity Sphere
Bono
Masayoshi Son, business tycoon
vascofalves@hotmail.com

Kingdom 9, Kingdom of Africa
Harry
Kofi Annan, UN-General Assembly Chairman
emperorharry86@jam.rr.com

Kingdom 10, Kingdom of Israel and Judah
Al
Uzi Dayan, retired Major General and former National Security Adviser, nephew of a national war hero and son of a somewhat lesser war hero
adicgensec@hotmail.com
Demonking

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2004, 11:51:09 PM »

Yo nice flag work thank g-d we can start so i can kick som booty.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2004, 02:32:27 AM »

BTW, The 1stKingdom should have been based on the commonwelath flag, almost all the countries in it are commonwealth. Oh well, done now :S

I also think we should have the ability to choose our replacements if we drop out.
M

« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2004, 02:48:27 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2004, 03:06:56 AM by M »

I stand by this flag for K1,the USA is an equal partner here and is, in fact, the official leade. Commonwealth and Scandinavia are lucky to get such prominence on the flag. Besides, a fuzzy C isn't nearly as royalists or cool as the Lion and Uniorn.

If you drop out of the game, the first to claim your spot replaces you.

Your SISs are being sent out, they will arrive momentarily. Once they reach you gameplay will begin. I want all of your summaries completed and sent to me by Friday. You may e-mail me at superamerican@hotmail.com with any questions you have on gameplay. However, research on local people and events is largely conducted by yourself over the net. Diplomacy between nations is conducted between players with e-mail. I will know this took place if you both type the same thing in your summary about the relevant issue.

You are expected to eventually fulfill all of your national goals to "win". Once you "win", you get a +200 point bonus, and then whoever has the most points is the game's winner. Sort of like catching the snitch in quidditch- does not necessarily gove you victory. If you're low on points, you may even hang back oin a crucial last goal.

E-mail me back to let me know you received your SIS. If you don't e-mail, I will assume you have it anyway and will expect your response by Friday. You may also post whether you got the e-mail on this thread.

Happy gaming, and may the best man win!
M

« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2004, 03:15:54 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2004, 03:21:18 AM by M »

A goodie you all will love. I dug up the ancient thread this is based on. It's almost two years old:

Part 1:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl3438588272d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&selm=upnehlg04fsu8e%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1

Part 2:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1524244778d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&selm=upq6hmph049ke1%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1

Part 3:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&selm=upvbp1d5i0qr79%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1

Part 4:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl2587983237d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&selm=uq4tn9ejqrlf47%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1

Part 5:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&selm=uqchhqg58d6r4f%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1
M

« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2004, 03:35:02 AM »

Oh, and guys, the fictional runtime for the first turn is one month. Remember that I value realism. You are not going to design a flying tank in one month, so don't tell me you have.

Remember also that I have instituted a three turn ban on international warfare (between Kingdoms). You may, however, if you wish, gear up for a war three or more turns hence.
M

« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2004, 02:59:10 PM »

I had hoped the official start of this RPG would be received with just a tad more enthusiasm...
M

« Reply #207 on: July 24, 2004, 04:27:38 PM »

Here is a useful net research resource. It lists current military conflicts, all of which do exist at startup.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/index.html
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #208 on: July 24, 2004, 09:02:46 PM »

I've been writing mine, and I have a very large problem-I can't actually make anything happen.

I end up finishing all my stories with what happened, but I'm not able to do that.

Is it possible that you could create one of the emails we are meant to send you, so that we know how to format it a bit better?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2004, 09:42:25 PM »

I've been writing mine, and I have a very large problem-I can't actually make anything happen.

I end up finishing all my stories with what happened, but I'm not able to do that.

Is it possible that you could create one of the emails we are meant to send you, so that we know how to format it a bit better?

What Hugh said, minus the 'I'm writing it right now' Smiley
M

« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2004, 10:30:09 PM »

This example will be written in personal narrative form.

From the diary of Buzz Aldrin, of the Texian Empire. (Buzz Aldrin is a famous astronaut, the second man on the moon.)

Day 1

Incredible! With these new powers I have accidentally been granted by the aliens I can control anyone I wish! It's time to expel Emperor Richard I of the Perry House, even if he is a fellow Republican he doesn't seem to have it in him to lead our Empire to greatness. (Rick Perry had been the governor of Texas). Also this new youth and sexual virility is great, I feel as if I can d anything. And really, wel, I can.

Day 2

It was sure great to hear Sheila Jackson Lee promoting a powerful miltary and aggressive foreign policy. Now where did she get that idea, I wonder? (Sheila Jackson Lee is an African American Democratic Congresswoman from Houston, knwon as a liberal).

I thought my prime had past, but this cute little thing Jennifer Love Hewitt is a handful in bed, and I can handle her again! (Jennifer Love Hewitt is a young and attractive actress from Waco). Actually, I think I handle her better than I would have the last time I was 21.

Chancellor David Dewhurst has strongly suggested Emperor Richard step aside, and called him incomopetent for this new era. (David Dewhurst was Lt. Governor of Texas). He has, however, said he is not interested in the Lone Star Throne himself. Interesting behavior again, I'd say.

Professor Smalley at Rice has started a program to create a new, hyper-resistant metallic substance to use for new Texian weaponry. (Smalley is a Nobel winning Rice physics professor, developer of the buckyball). I wish him success, and note his idea is brilliant enough for an astronaut.

Day 3

General Tommy Franks has announced he will be forming a new citizen militia, and suggested he will not take orders from the Perry dynasty. (Tommy Franks is a 4-star general and former CENTCOM commander). Who from, then, I wonder?

Martin Frost has breached the old partisan divide and joined Dewhurst in calling for Emperor Richard's resignation. (Martin Frost is a moderate Democratic congressman from Dallas). Rick is still waffling on his course of action, but they say his wife wants himto resign. How odd, eh? Heh heh heh.

Nolan Ryan has demanded the Yankee Dominion officially recognize him as an Astro, not a Ranger, in the Hall of Fame.  (Nolan Ryan is a famous pitcher for the Astros and later the Rangers, weher he became famour. He has the fastest recorded pitch, and lives in Alvin). No response yet from the Northeast.

And so on. Infroming me who the characters in your story are is important, you can work that in any way you like. My method here was rather clumsy, but this was just an example. It can be like bad anime, where the speaker goes, "oh look, it's Dick Cheney, the Vice President of the United States and a renowned conservative and hawk!". Or more subtle. Whatever.

Note that Smalley did not develop his new metal, we don't know how successful Franks was with his militia, we don't know whether Cooperstown has changed Ryan's team, we don't know whether Perry will resign or not. You can explain your own actions and those of the people you zapped, but everything else I will determine using dice and my internal reality gauge.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2004, 10:37:47 PM »

All right: just one more question.

Let's say the Texian Empire wanted the panhandle of Oklahoma because of it's 'rightful status as a part of the Texian Empire due to the territory claimed by the Texan Republic in its short-lived indepdence' or whatever... how would it go about getting it?
M

« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

Right. Any of you who have looked at your SISs know that territorial claims are a significant to major portion of gameplay, for all countries. You must legally acquire control of the land. This can be done in the following ways:

Peaceful diplomacy. The Chief of the Cherokee Nation agrees to surrender the Panhandle, and in exchange is granted a share of Texian oil revenues.

A treaty at gunpoint. With Tulsa overrun and Oklahoma City barely holding out, the Cherokee agree to surrender the strip in exhange for a cessation of hostilities and a withdrawal of Texian forces from the rest of the country.

Unconditional surrender. It is, after all, unconditional. It even allows for the possibility of annexation, thus eliminating an entire nation from the game. Avoid unconditionally surrendering is probably a good rule of thumb. The paragraph above would be far preferable.

Obviously to do any of these things you will have to control your nation. Remember that diplomacy is negotiated between two players via e-mail; but warfare is the province of the gamemaster.
M

« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2004, 01:15:15 AM »

Ilikeverin had an interesting idea which I have decided to implement. Any diplomacy e-mails you send henceforth, send a copy to me. I assume there will be few or none this week though, since you don't even control a country yet.

Also, feel free to goof around a little, like I did with the Emperor Buzz example. Have a little fun, make a little mischief. It's not evryone who has Zap Power, don't waste it ALL on geoploitics...
M

« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2004, 07:59:36 PM »

A new rule: please send me pictures, or working image codes, of everyone you have zapped. Either put these into your AARs, or I will for you when I post them.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2004, 08:39:33 PM »

Kingdom 5-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/5858/ftdoaiiah.png[/IMG] (-*)

Kingdom 3-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/4601/ftdoak.png[/IMG] (-*)

Kingdom 7-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/5240/ftdojl.png[/IMG] (-*)

Kingdom 9-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/6133/ftdoka.png[/IMG] (-*)

Kingdom 6-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8774/ftdolpy.png[/IMG] (-*)

Kingdom 8-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/3766/ftdoms.png[/IMG] (-*)

Kingdom 10-

[IMG*]http://img69.exs.cx/img69/2583/ftdoud.png[/IMG] (-*)
M

« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2004, 09:38:53 PM »

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the head of the Hashemite's personal letterhead depicts the symbol of his family's traditional archnemeses, the Saudi Wahhabis of Nejd? But in truth, there is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet, with a sword, is sort of generic.

Great letterheads, Verin! I'm waiting on those AARs, send 'em in before Friday if they're available. I have one already.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2004, 10:38:45 PM »

May I be allowed to zap one fictional character, Aleksanders' Secretary? I can provide a fake photo if necessary.
M

« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2004, 11:19:32 PM »

Surely there's a Polish actress or a Miss Poland or something like that who would just love to be your personal secretary (after you zap the thought into her head, that is).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2004, 11:23:55 PM »

The problem is, I don't know them or their face Cheesy

Plus Kteryna is his longtime secretary who has always loved him :S

Oh come on, its romantic... :S
M

« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2004, 11:35:11 PM »

Hugh, this very sort of situation is why Al Gore invented the internet. Use it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2004, 04:35:28 AM »

Hugh, this very sort of situation is why Al Gore invented the internet. Use it.
That's what I was thinking - the internet makes that "know their face" thing easy.
But how can I send pictures if I zap somebody I personally know but who is not a celebrity? There's this Jaipur Autorickshaw driver I'd intended to give a better job to just for fun's sake, for example...
M

« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2004, 11:53:44 AM »

Didn't think of that...

People you personally know I do not need pictures of. I tend to assume that most zappees will be celebrities and public figures, and they do require pictures.
M

« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2004, 01:05:51 PM »

Al- found an interesting tidbit on Uzi Dayan completely by accident.
He is currently the leader of Israel's pro Security Barrier lobby. Thought that might interest you.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2004, 01:22:27 PM »

hey, when's the deadline to send them in?  I can have it in tomorrow night {Band camp is this week, and is taking up much of my time}
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies