Diplomacy Dreams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 03:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Diplomacy Dreams
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Author Topic: Diplomacy Dreams  (Read 15267 times)
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2024, 08:58:42 PM »

SPRING 1902 Order Results:

Austria:
Austria: A Bud - Rum
Austria: A Gal - War / Bounced with Sil (1 against 1).
Austria: F Gre - Bul (SC) / Bounced with Bul (1 against 1).
Austria: A Sev H / Dislodged from Arm (2 against 1).
Austria: A Tri - Ser

England:
England: A Bel - Pic
England: A Edi - Yor
England: F Lon - Eng
England: F Nth H
England: F Nwy - Stp (NC)

France:
France: F Bre - Mao
France: A Mar - Bur
France: A Par S A Mar - Bur
France: F Por - Spa (SC)
France: A Spa - Mar

Germany:
Germany: A Ber - Kie
Germany: F Den - Swe / Bounced with Bot (1 against 1).
Germany: A Hol H
Germany: F Kie - Bal
Germany: A Mun - Bur / Bounced with Mar (1 against 1).

Italy:
Italy: F Nap - Tys
Italy: A Pie H
Italy: F Tun - Wes
Italy: A Tus S A Pie

Russia:
Russia: F Bot - Swe / Bounced with Den (1 against 1).
Russia: A Sil - War / Bounced with Gal (1 against 1).
Russia: A Ukr - Mos

Turkey:
Turkey: A Arm - Sev
Turkey: F Bla S A Arm - Sev
Turkey: A Bul - Gre / Bounced with Gre (1 against 1).
Turkey: F Con - Aeg

The deadline for the Spring 1902 RETREAT Phase is 10:00 PM EST on Monday, March 11th.

The only Retreat Order required this time is from Scott/JustPassionThrough, if he provides his order within the next half an hour or so we can begin the 48 hour deadline before everyone goes to bed/wherever they're off to!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2024, 09:07:03 PM »

Terrific news, one and all, Scott has immediately given me his retreat order so we don't have to wait 24 hours.

Austria:
Austria: A Sev RETREAT Ukr

I have adjudicated accordingly and we now enter

FALL 1902

The deadline for Fall 1902 MOVEMENT Phase orders will be at 10:00 PM EST on Tuesday, March 12th.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2024, 08:28:29 PM »

While waiting for the next turn, here's something you all might find interesting.  The very first game or two of Diplomacy I ever played was at the house of a college friend in the mid-1970s -- and he had the original 1958 set, which had very different rules!  Among those that I recall:

1. Convoys, as they exist in the modern game, did not exist.  A fleet could still transport an army, but it would require them both moving to the same coastal space (this was allowed), the army boarding the fleet, and the fleet carrying it to another coastal space to disembark.

2. Switzerland wasn't impassable; in fact, it was a neutral supply center.  So was Albania, IIRC.

3. Some of the borders were different.  There were more spaces, both land and sea (the map territory was somewhat larger) and some of the existing ones were differently shaped than in the current game.  There was an extra sea space (Kattegat) around Denmark and Sweden, which made getting out of the Baltic even more of a pain than it is now.  I don't think Helgoland Bight existed.

4. Finland was bicoastal (north and south), which meant that Norway and St. Pete didn't touch.

There were very likely other differences that I've forgotten.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2024, 09:03:43 PM »

While waiting for the next turn, here's something you all might find interesting.  The very first game or two of Diplomacy I ever played was at the house of a college friend in the mid-1970s -- and he had the original 1958 set, which had very different rules!  Among those that I recall:

1. Convoys, as they exist in the modern game, did not exist.  A fleet could still transport an army, but it would require them both moving to the same coastal space (this was allowed), the army boarding the fleet, and the fleet carrying it to another coastal space to disembark.

2. Switzerland wasn't impassable; in fact, it was a neutral supply center.  So was Albania, IIRC.

3. Some of the borders were different.  There were more spaces, both land and sea (the map territory was somewhat larger) and some of the existing ones were differently shaped than in the current game.  There was an extra sea space (Kattegat) around Denmark and Sweden, which made getting out of the Baltic even more of a pain than it is now.  I don't think Helgoland Bight existed.

4. Finland was bicoastal (north and south), which meant that Norway and St. Pete didn't touch.

Did the original map have the redrawn Italy with Milan?

It definitely would be interesting if Switzerland were kept a neutral supply center. I'd imagine that having two powers with armies directly adjacent to it and two powers only separated by one non-neutral center could make for an interesting dynamic, or even give Italy a fairer advantage by putting that within reach besides Tunis.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2024, 10:38:07 PM »

I had no idea there were different official maps. That is interesting.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2024, 10:39:27 PM »

I am going to commit unspeakable war crimes against you, Scott.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2024, 07:06:01 AM »

It definitely would be interesting if Switzerland were kept a neutral supply center. I'd imagine that having two powers with armies directly adjacent to it and two powers only separated by one non-neutral center could make for an interesting dynamic, or even give Italy a fairer advantage by putting that within reach besides Tunis.

I found a copy of the original map: https://diplomacyzines.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/original-scaled.gif.  There was no Milan space, but Italy did have an extra province (Calabria) in the toe of the boot.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2024, 09:05:31 AM »

I found a copy of the original map: https://diplomacyzines.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/original-scaled.gif.  There was no Milan space, but Italy did have an extra province (Calabria) in the toe of the boot.
Wow, that's crazy. I have to try this map out.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2024, 05:13:06 PM »

3/7 orders received, a little under four hours until the deadline!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2024, 06:45:48 PM »

4/7 orders received, a little over two hours until the deadline!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2024, 08:47:30 PM »

4/7 orders received, a little over two hours until the deadline!

I sent my provisional orders in a little bit ago shortly after getting home from work.

Should be noted that there might be issues impacting connectively to Talk Elections, with the issue first noted impacting Chrome browsers.

It could potentially impact players submitting orders, let alone finalizing diplomatic agreements.

You might want to do a straw poll and see if any other members of our Diplomacy game are having similar issues.

What I mean by this is at minimum if you have received no orders whatsoever for an individual player as a result of this, might be best to postpone posting movements.

Should be noted that this may have also impacted diplomatic communications, although granted in our "Diplomacy on Meth" turn arrangements, which I did agree to, this is perhaps a secondary concern.

themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2024, 12:23:53 AM »

I also had some issues with the site, so we'll extend the deadline for tonight's orders to 10:00 PM EST on Wednesday, March 13th!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2024, 01:32:07 AM »

I also had some issues with the site, so we'll extend the deadline for tonight's orders to 10:00 PM EST on Wednesday, March 13th!

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing the map. Wink

Seriously though Georgia Moderate was one of the few early Atlas posters to comment on the issues, and I even worked a Diplomacy pitch into the thread. Wink

Seriously glad we are back up and running.

I was panicking when I came home from work and thought it was down and didn't want to eff up the game for everyone else bcs my orders were late with some PC issue!
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2024, 07:48:40 AM »

Thanks for the extension!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2024, 08:03:53 AM »

The problem was that the site's web certificate expired last night at midnight GMT.  I let Virginia know and she got a new one.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2024, 09:01:38 PM »

Just a few minutes, guys. Double-checking a few moves.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2024, 09:13:29 PM »

Order Results:

Austria:
Austria: A Gal S A Ukr - War
Austria: F Gre - Bul (SC) / Bounced with Bul (1 against 1). Dislodged from Bul (2 against 1).
Austria: A Rum S F Gre - Bul (SC) / Support cut by Move from Black Sea.
Austria: A Ser S A Rum
Austria: A Ukr - War

England:
England: F Eng C A Yor -> Bre
England: F Nth C A Yor -> Bre
England: A Pic - Bel
England: F Stp (NC) - Nwy
England: A Yor - Bre / Bounced with Mao (1 against 1).

France:
France: A Bur - Gas
France: A Mar H
France: F Mao - Bre
France: A Par S F Mao - Bre
France: F Spa (SC) H

Germany:
Germany: F Bal - Swe
Germany: F Den S F Bal - Swe
Germany: A Hol H
Germany: A Kie - Ber
Germany: A Mun H

Italy:
Italy: A Pie H
Italy: A Tus - Ven
Italy: F Tys - Lyo
Italy: F Wes S F Tys - Lyo

Russia:
Russia: F Bot - Stp (SC)
Russia: A Mos S A Sil - War / Support cut by Move from Sevastopol.
Russia: A Sil - War / Bounced with Ukr (1 against 1).

Turkey:
Turkey: F Aeg S A Bul - Gre
Turkey: F Bla - Rum / Bounced with Rum (1 against 2).
Turkey: A Bul - Gre
Turkey: A Sev - Mos / Bounced with Mos (1 against 1).

This leaves us in Fall 1902 RETREAT Phase. The only retreat to be made is F Gre, belonging to Scott. If he would like to make his retreat order within the next hour, I will move us onto Fall 1902 BUILD Phase.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2024, 11:18:32 PM »

Order submitted. Sorry about that!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2024, 09:04:43 PM »

Order Results:

Austria:
F Gre RETREAT Ion
Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 1.

Germany:
Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 1.

Russia:
Supply centers were lost. Units that must be removed: 1.

Turkey:
Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 2.

Austria has given his retreat and now it is time to build/disband. Please check the results above to find if you are building or disbanding this turn! The deadline for orders will be at 10:00 PM EST on Friday, March 15th.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2024, 09:02:54 PM »

Order Results:

Austria:    
Austria: B A Vie

Germany:
Germany: B F Kie

Russia:
Russia: R A Sil

Turkey:
Turkey: B A Con
Turkey: B F Smy

We now begin Spring 1903. The deadline for orders is at 10:00 PM EST on Sunday, March 17th!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2024, 01:36:36 PM »

2/7 orders received with 7.5 hours left until the deadline!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2024, 06:57:58 PM »

4/7 orders received with 2 hours until the deadline!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2024, 09:01:18 PM »

The die is cast and which way will the winds blow...

themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2024, 09:02:33 PM »

Anybody seen IBNU this evening?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2024, 09:04:43 PM »

The die is cast and which way will the winds blow...

And the metaphors are well mixed…
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies