Diplomacy Dreams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:33:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Diplomacy Dreams
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Diplomacy Dreams  (Read 9373 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2024, 10:19:06 PM »

Note to everyone: I will be undergoing a medical procedure on Friday and will be unavailable after the morning hours.  If I don't answer you during that time, that's why.  If there's a deadline that falls on Friday night and I have orders due for it, please extend it by 24 hours.  Thanks.

I think that I can speak for everyone here is the primary concern of your health and successful recovery from impacts associated with the procedure.

I would suggest that since this will not impact the Fall '04 orders, we extend the subsequent retreat and build orders by at least (24) hours at minimum, or until we hear back from Georgia Moderate confirming his situation is in a medical position to play.

Thoughts All???

NOVA
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2024, 03:38:25 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2024, 05:36:16 PM by YPestis25 »

I’m fine with what Nova proposed, though selfishly I wouldn’t mind pushing this turn through Saturday. Just finished a grueling day of travel and have to get home before submitting anything. I can submit tonight if needed, of course.

edit: orders in, so pls disregard.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2024, 07:03:04 PM »

I spoke with GM in private last night and there will be a delay of sorts after tonight's adjudication, all will be explained.

5/7 orders received with 2 hours left until the deadline!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2024, 09:04:33 PM »

Good evening all,

Someone has missed the deadline and the 30 minute grace period has begun, per the earlier rule changes. If no orders are given in that grace period I will default it to an all-HOLD order and adjudicate accordingly.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2024, 09:19:27 PM »

Order Results:

Austria:
Austria: A Boh - Mun / Bounced with Mun (1 against 1).
Austria: A Gal - Sil
Austria: A Lvn - Pru
Austria: F Nap S A Rom
Austria: A Tri S A Vie / Support cut by Move from Tyrolia.
Austria: A Vie S A Tri
Austria: A War S A Gal - Sil

England:
England: A Hol - Bel / Bounced with Pic (1 against 1). Dislodged from Bel (2 against 1).
England: F Lon H / Dislodged from Eng (2 against 1).
England: F Nwg - Edi
England: A Yor H

France:
France: F Eng - Lon
France: F Iri - Lvp
France: A Mar -Pie
France: A Pic - Bel
France: A Tus S F Tys - Rom

Germany:
Germany: A Bel - Hol
Germany: F Kie S A Bel - Hol
Germany: A Mun S A Sil / Support failed. Move orders must be supported explicitly.
Germany: F Nth S F Eng - Lon
Germany: F Nwy - Nwg
Germany: A Sil - Boh / Failed because Austria: A Boh - Mun failed. Dislodged from Gal (2 against 1).
Germany: A Tyr - Tri / Bounced with Tri (1 against 2).

Italy:
Italy: F Tun H
Italy: F Tys - Rom / Bounced with Rom (2 against 2).
Italy: A Ven - Apu / Bounced with Apu (1 against 1).

Russia:
Russia: F Stp (SC) H

Turkey:
Turkey: F Aeg - Ion
Turkey: A Apu S A Rom / Support cut by Move from Venice.
Turkey: F Bla H
Turkey: F Gre S F Aeg - Ion
Turkey: F Ion - Adr
Turkey: A Rom H
Turkey: A Ukr H

Per GM's medical procedure, I am announcing a hiatus until he informs me he is up and at 'em. When that occurs, I will announce it in here with at least 24 hours' notice before the deadline!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2024, 09:23:35 PM »

So again time for a bit of a Johnny Cash countdown...

This one is a live movie one, as opposed to the live audio concert in Folsom Prison, where the crowd went a little bit wild.

Not sure if Merle Haggard at this one or not wearing Levi prison denims.... (Union Manufactured in the USA).

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:54 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2024, 12:57:36 PM by YPestis25 »

Hey y'all - wanted to raise that I'm about to hit finals season here which may make my continued play a bit more difficult. I'm happy to continue for the time being, but was wondering if anyone had any interest in subbing for me in the near to medium term (next 1 to 2 weeks). Not a crisis now, but wanted to raise for the future.

Happy to hand over whenever a replacement is found Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2024, 05:02:10 PM »

Hey y'all - wanted to raise that I'm about to hit finals season here which may make my continued play a bit more difficult. I'm happy to continue for the time being, but was wondering if anyone had any interest in subbing for me in the near to medium term (next 1 to 2 weeks). Not a crisis now, but wanted to raise for the future.

Would you mind reaching out to people for a replacement? If they accept, give them a run-down of your strategy and leave it at that. But Jesse's stressed enough about this game and if we don't find a replacement in time, the game will be on hiatus once again. Ideally, we'd avoid that.

I do appreciate you bringing this up now rather than later.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2024, 05:26:08 PM »

If need be I can continue! But yes I’ll reach out in the interim Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2024, 05:27:30 PM »

Hi folks,

I'm home and all is good.  A bit groggy but I should be fine by tomorrow.  Since I don't have a retreat to make I would say carry on at this point.

Thanks,
GM
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2024, 05:31:02 PM »

Hi folks,

I'm home and all is good.  A bit groggy but I should be fine by tomorrow.  Since I don't have a retreat to make I would say carry on at this point.

Thanks,
GM

Glad to hear everything went well!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2024, 06:00:00 PM »

I'll do it!  It would be interesting to see if I could bring it to a GT 2-way draw against united opposition. Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2024, 10:57:51 PM »

I believe Scott has a friend. Wink

Also, it's a difficult sales pitch since Germany has barely two weeks to survive (In real time and not game time obviously).

But in all seriousness now that we are entering the Mid-Game phase, I suspect that perhaps moves and communications between players might be shorter and more obvious than in a Diplomacy "Early Game" situation.

Part of the reason I was slightly reticent initially about accepting the role was the (24) Hr move timeline. This was extended to (48) hours after all existing players had weighed in and the GM put it up for a vote.

Certainly, I would not support a further extension simply to accommodate one existing player's temporary schedule simply because of Finals, unless there is unanimous consent.

I must say that however I have always tended to prefer longer hours between moves than in the current game, and in this game in particular, with an international time zone shift might well have made it much harder to communicate in a timely fashion.

An alternative proposal, again with unanimous consent, would perhaps be we extend the movement turns to (72) hours.

There is a fine balance between the old Muon2 "Weeklies", versus a (24), (48), and (72) balance.

Bit like playing on chess.com for (30) Min games versus (3) hr games.

But yeah the right thing to do IMHO is that at minimum we agree to continue playing, while a potential replacement can be found and extend the timeline slightly if YPESTIS25 and all the other players are game.

Thoughts Diplomacy Nation?
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2024, 06:35:58 PM »

I believe Scott has a friend. Wink

Also, it's a difficult sales pitch since Germany has barely two weeks to survive (In real time and not game time obviously).

But in all seriousness now that we are entering the Mid-Game phase, I suspect that perhaps moves and communications between players might be shorter and more obvious than in a Diplomacy "Early Game" situation.

Part of the reason I was slightly reticent initially about accepting the role was the (24) Hr move timeline. This was extended to (48) hours after all existing players had weighed in and the GM put it up for a vote.

Certainly, I would not support a further extension simply to accommodate one existing player's temporary schedule simply because of Finals, unless there is unanimous consent.

I must say that however I have always tended to prefer longer hours between moves than in the current game, and in this game in particular, with an international time zone shift might well have made it much harder to communicate in a timely fashion.

An alternative proposal, again with unanimous consent, would perhaps be we extend the movement turns to (72) hours.

There is a fine balance between the old Muon2 "Weeklies", versus a (24), (48), and (72) balance.

Bit like playing on chess.com for (30) Min games versus (3) hr games.

But yeah the right thing to do IMHO is that at minimum we agree to continue playing, while a potential replacement can be found and extend the timeline slightly if YPESTIS25 and all the other players are game.

Thoughts Diplomacy Nation?
I am fine with this so long as everyone else is, please make your voices heard in posts or Recommends, people. I will keep to the current schedule until we get answers from everyone about the proposal to extend the deadlines.

Sorry for the late update. I have been out and about and soon I will be going out again, so I am going to end the hiatus right now.

We are now in Fall 1904 RETREAT Phase. The following players have retreats/disbands to make and the deadline for doing so will be at 10:00 PM EST / 2:00 AM UTC on Sunday, March 31st:

Germany:
A Sil

England:
A Hol
F Lon
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2024, 06:46:47 PM »

I have no objection to changing the movement turns to 72 hours if it would help YPestis stay in the game.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2024, 09:34:51 AM »

Retreat orders submitted.

Gustaf has let me know he has some interest in subbing, so I'll report back on that!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2024, 12:56:26 PM »

Hi all! Gustaf has agreed to take over for the build phase so I'll hand it over to him here Smiley

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2024, 04:48:50 PM »

Welcome, Gustaf!  Please know that everyone in the game is peaceful, friendly, and honest. Smiley
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2024, 05:08:15 PM »

Welcome, Gustaf!

Don't trust anybody, but least of all myself, your humble GM.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2024, 09:01:38 PM »

Order Results:

Austria: Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 1.

England: Supply centers were lost. Units that must be removed: 3.
England: A Hol - Ruh
England: F Lon - Wal

France: Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 3.

Germany:
Germany: A Sil - Ber

Italy: Supply centers were lost. Units that must be removed: 1.

We are now in the 1904 Fall BUILD Phase. Please see above to determine if you are building/disbanding. The deadline for orders in this phase will be at 10:00 PM EST / 2:00 AM UTC on Monday, April 1st.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2024, 06:46:43 AM »

Hey, everyone! Thanks for letting me jump in. I've played Diplomacy before, including on here, but it's been a while so I'm probably a little rusty. Smiley Feel free to message me with intriguing alliance proposals. I've been given a short summary by my predecessor on the current state of affairs. But of course, all things are always in flux when it comes to Diplomacy. Wink
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #246 on: April 01, 2024, 06:17:57 PM »

Only 1/4 orders received with less than 3 hours left on the deadline!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #247 on: April 01, 2024, 09:18:45 PM »

Order Results:

Austria:
Austria: B A Bud

England:
England: R A Ruh
England: R F Wal
England: R A Yor

France:
France: B F Bre
France: B F Mar
France: B A Par

Italy:
Italy: R F Tys

After the deadline was missed for the second time by England, I looked at the board set up and determined that the units which should be disbanded are the ones not on the final English supply center. Please excuse the late update.

This brings us to the Spring 1905 ORDER Phase. The deadline for orders is at 10:00 PM EST / 2:00 AM UTC on Wednesday, April 3rd.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2024, 10:00:30 PM »

Order Results:

Austria:
Austria: B A Bud

England:
England: R A Ruh
England: R F Wal
England: R A Yor

France:
France: B F Bre
France: B F Mar
France: B A Par

Italy:
Italy: R F Tys

After the deadline was missed for the second time by England, I looked at the board set up and determined that the units which should be disbanded are the ones not on the final English supply center. Please excuse the late update.

This brings us to the Spring 1905 ORDER Phase. The deadline for orders is at 10:00 PM EST / 2:00 AM UTC on Wednesday, April 3rd.

I believe this was a fair decision, which if anything benefits the player.

Actually twas just thinking earlier about what a GM should do in that scenario, and my thought would have been, a random GM selection using a D4 just like a Dungeons and Dragons table game for certain rolls.

If anything this should advantage the player.

Obvious question is does this trigger the eviction of the player from the Game?

(Don't believe this was clearly defined, but naturally going through an attempted recruitment of a replacement player process is warranted when it appears that although the player might have given up on the game, there are likely to be very few replacement players willing to take on England looking at the current map).

Therefore, although I am sure you have sent a PM to the player in question, I would humbly suggest that unless that instead of an automatic eviction we move to an automatic HOLD, rather than attempt a replacement player?

Would hate a technicality to be a hiccup, since after all every Diplomacy Game I have played on Atlas frequently runs into various formal or informal dropouts.

Thoughts rest of Atlas Diplomacy Nation?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #249 on: April 01, 2024, 10:08:19 PM »

I'm sorry but like the other user, I am currently going through my Uni finals which is causing me to miss deadlines. My attempt at recruiting an alternative have been unsuccseful.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies