Is this a suburb?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:12:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is this a suburb?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this a suburb?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Is this a suburb?  (Read 1379 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »

http://www.city-data.com/city/Guttenberg-New-Jersey.html
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »

I'd have to see a picture of it to really get the full picture, but a population density of nearly 22,000 per square kilometer makes it kind of unlikely.  I don't think that would even be possible with single-family housing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:47:37 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2007, 12:20:58 PM by Alcon »

I'd have to see a picture of it to really get the full picture, but a population density of nearly 22,000 per square kilometer makes it kind of unlikely.  I don't think that would even be possible with single-family housing.

It's like a block by 10 blocks big, and has two tower apartments.

I'd judge it based on the surrounding area, but probably urban.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »

It's the most densely populated municipality in North America.  I highly doubt it qualifies as suburban.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:55:23 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2007, 11:59:15 PM by Verily »

Guttenberg consists of tightly packed multi-family homes and apartment buildings, many with commercial developments on the first floor. It is only four blocks wide and around 15 blocks long and consists of rectangular city blocks as one might find in any large city. It is overwhelmingly Hispanic, and most of the rest of the population is Italian.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:41:29 AM »

I don't really care, and your obsession over suburbs is annoying.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »

I don't really care, and your obsession over suburbs is annoying.

^^^^^^^^^^

And yes, Guttenberg is a suburb considering a town that small cannot be urban
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 12:20:01 PM »

There are two senses of the term suburb. In a strict sense any comunity in a metropolitan area that is not part of the central city can be described as a suburb. In a qualitative sense, suburbs are sometimes associated with lower density "bedroom communities".

Hudson Co. in NJ is all developed with an urban density and design, but is organized as suburban communities apart from the central city if one counts the whole NYC area. Large metros like NYC are often subdivided around large satellite cities, and Hudson Co. then counts as the Jersey City metro area, and Guttenberg is a suburb within it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:56:56 PM »

By your definition it is, since you considered Braddock, PA to be a suburb.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 10:00:41 PM »

I would, but it is not "suburban."

There are several places in Phila (especially in Delaware County) where, if you didn't see the signs, you couldn't tell if it was Phila or not.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »

It's the most densely populated municipality in North America.  I highly doubt it qualifies as suburban.
Guttenberg is purely a dormitory town, and as such could not of course be anything but a suburb. (That's part of the reason for the pop. density - no commercial or recreational areas to speak of.) Population densities and voting patterns and income levels have nowt to do with it, really.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 12:15:20 AM »

Guttenberg is purely a dormitory town, and as such could not of course be anything but a suburb. (That's part of the reason for the pop. density - no commercial or recreational areas to speak of.) Population densities and voting patterns and income levels have nowt to do with it, really.

But Guttenberg's commercial areas are right next door in West New York. You're looking at each municipality in isolation, which is a stupid way of doing things. There are much larger areas in Queens, for example, that are purely residential and identical to Guttenberg, yet you would call them urban because of arbitrary lines on the map combining them with the rest of New York City. Guttenberg is an urban residential area; the fact that it was made independent in the early 20th century doesn't change that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »

But Guttenberg's commercial areas are right next door in West New York. You're looking at each municipality in isolation, which is a stupid way of doing things. There are much larger areas in Queens, for example, that are purely residential and identical to Guttenberg, yet you would call them urban because of arbitrary lines on the map combining them with the rest of New York City. Guttenberg is an urban residential area; the fact that it was made independent in the early 20th century doesn't change that.
Actually I do consider Queens and even southern Brooklyn to be inner suburban areas (South Jamaica is a suburban slum estate - heck, it even looks like it must be in Seine St Denis on photos) , but that's neither here nor there really.

But the question of local government may or may not be a relevant one depending on the setup of local government. If the central city in fairly small and the areas around it are all in fairly large municipalities (as in Brussels, say) obviously it can't be used as a factor in determining what is and what is not a suburb. If local government is essentially powerless, it can't be used as a factor in determining what is and what is not a suburb. I don't think either case applies here. The boundaries of cities actually shape the settlement patterns. The absence of prestige municipal expenditure and of outsiders using the city's services shapes its tax burden. Etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies