Diplomacy: Standard - Spring 1903
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:52:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Diplomacy: Standard - Spring 1903
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Diplomacy: Standard - Spring 1903  (Read 21026 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »
« edited: July 10, 2007, 12:29:46 AM by SoFA Gabu »

I've volunteered to run this thing, so here we go.  I've randomly assigned countries to the first seven who signed up, so without further ado, here are our players:

England: bullmoose88
Germany: TN2024
France: Jas
Italy: Emsworth
Austria-Hungary: ilikeverin
Russia: Colin Wixted
Turkey: Supersoulty

And here is our initial map:

SPRING 1901

A map with region names can additionally be found here.  Be sure to make note of this; the names of regions is invaluable when playing the game.

A full explanation of the game rules can be found here.  A not-quite-so-in-depth overview of the rules, for the benefit of the players, is as follows:

All players begin with three units, except for Russia, which begins with four.  There are two types of units: armies, represented by cannons, and fleets, represented by battleships.  Each player may make one move with each unit per turn.  The moves that can be made are as follows:

- Move/Attack (identical actions)
- Hold
- Support
- Support attack
- Convoy (fleets only)

Moving or attacking is straightforward: you merely specify what army or fleet you want to move (by what region it currently occupies) and then specify where you want it to go.  If there is no unit occupying the space or who is moving into that space, then the unit will simply move there.  If there is indeed a unit moving there or who was already there, then the move counts as an attack, whose mechanics will be specified later.

Also, it should be noted that one can see on the map the abbreviations "NC", "WC", "SC", and "EC".  These stand for "north coast", "west coast", "south coast", and "east coast", respectively.  If a fleet lands on one coast, it cannot leave from another coast.  It may only travel to regions adjacent to the coast on which it landed.

Holding is even more straightforward: the unit does nothing.  To execute a hold, simply specify what army or fleet you want to hold.

Supporting another unit is essentially defending that unit from attack.  More on this later when attacking is described in detail.

Supporting an attack is the opposite of supporting another unit.  Here, you are helping a unit move into another region, rather than holding the region it currently occupies.  Again, more on this later.

Convoying a unit is something that only fleets can do.  Essentially, a convoy counts for the move of two units at the same time, and involves both an army and a fleet.  When a fleet is parked into an water region, it and an army bordering the water region can both act in tandem to allow the army to cross the water region and land on a region bordering on the water region on the other side of it.  For example, a fleet in the Baltic Sea can convey an army from Sweden down to Prussia.

Attacking is one of the more complicated points of the game, and a brief overview of its mechanics follows.  Every unit in the game is deemed as having the same power as every other unit (which we will conveniently designate as a power of "one").  Whenever a unit is supported by another unit, its power is increased by one.  If a unit attacks another position, the unit with the most power wins.  If both units have the same amount of power, the unit who is holding wins.  If neither units are holding (e.g., when two units move to the same location), neither wins, and both are forced to retreat.

If a unit is dislodged by an attacking unit with superior power, that unit is forced to retreat to a neighboring region with no units in it that is not the one from which the attacker came.  If no such regions exist, the unit is disbanded and removed from play.

If a unit is supporting another unit, that unit's support can be cut by having another unit attack it on the same turn in which it attempts to support another unit.  In this case, play continues as if that unit never attempted to support the other unit.

Any region with a dot in it appearing on the map is considered a "supply center".  These are invaluable regions that all players should strive to capture (more on capturing in a bit).  First, any player who comes into control of at least eighteen of the thirty-four supply centers is declared the winner of the game.  Second, a player may have as many units on the board as he has supply centers under his control.  After fall of each year (more on seasons in a bit), each player may either add units to the board if he owns more supply centers than units, or must remove units from the board if he owns less supply centers than units.

Each turn is considered either one or two seasons (seasons being spring, summer, fall, and winter).  Actual moves are taken in spring and fall.  If any units are dislodged by an attack, the retreat takes place in the intervening season.  A player comes into control of a supply center if the player occupies that supply center after the fall turn.  If a supply center is unoccupied after a fall turn, it does not become uncontrolled; it simply does not change hands.

Players are free to openly or secretly discuss strategies among any other players.  It should be cautioned, however, that no agreements in the game are binding in any way; a person fulfilling their end of a bargain is entirely up to the trustworthiness of the player in question.

For the benefit of myself, here is the format that I would like players to give their orders in (for everything but convoy commands; those will come afterwards):

(A/F) (occupied region) (move type) [destination region]

Where:

- "A" or "F" designates whether the unit is an army or a fleet (this is sort of just a sanity check to make sure the player is moving the right unit)
- "occupied region" is the name of the region occupied by the unit the player would like to move
- "move type" can be either "moves to", "holds", or "supports" (this should be self-evident)
- "destination region" is the region (if applicable) that the unit is acting on

For example, Germany could do the following:

A Berlin moves to Prussia

For convoy commands, the format should be as follows:

F (occupied water region) convoys A (occupied land region) to (destination region)

For example, the Baltic Sea example would look like this:

F Baltic Sea convoys A Sweden to Prussia

With all of this said, the game is now officially open.  Please PM me your orders when you are ready to move.  Once all moves are in, I will post in this thread the new map.  DO NOT POST YOUR MOVES IN THE OPEN!  Your moves must be secretly transmitted to me.  You are free to announce your intentions in private to your allies, however.  Also, PLEASE specify that it is the standard variant of diplomacy, as well as what season and year it's for.  This will greatly help me organize my PMs, especially if we get another variant going.

This thread can also be used for ongoing discussion of the game.

And... go.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:17:31 PM »

I've volunteered to run this thing, so here we go.  I've randomly assigned countries to the first seven who signed up, so without further ado, here are our players:

What does that remind me of?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:19:17 PM »

What does that remind me of?

I swear that I used random.org and had no hand whatsoever in picking the allocations. Tongue
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »

Will there be due dates for moves?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:23:15 PM »

Will there be due dates for moves?

I hope not to need any, but if some players are incorrigibly slow, I may enforce a deadline of having a week to get moves in.  I will only employ that if absolutely necessary, however, as it would put the players who did not get to move at a massive disadvantage.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »

Perhaps asking the players whether they were ready to start would be a good idea, as I will be gone from tomorrow 'till next Saturday without any internet access whatsoever Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »

Perhaps asking the players whether they were ready to start would be a good idea, as I will be gone from tomorrow 'till next Saturday without any internet access whatsoever Wink
I'll play for you till then. Cheesy
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »

I'll play for you till then. Cheesy

Why, of course you may Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2007, 05:24:43 PM by SoFA Gabu »

Perhaps you should SHUT UP and accept your loss like a man.

Okay, fine, we'll put the game on hold until next Saturday.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »

Nah, let Lewis take over for the week, srsly.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 11:16:11 PM »

Nah, let Lewis take over for the week, srsly.

Well, okay, if you really want to. Tongue
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 11:51:19 PM »

oh, sorry, I just got home.

If you can tell me gabu, do I have some time to plan my moves, or would you need them in really really soon?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »

If you can tell me gabu, do I have some time to plan my moves, or would you need them in really really soon?

Take your time; Diplomacy wouldn't really be Diplomacy if people were rushed to make their moves.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 12:01:37 AM »

Take your time; Diplomacy wouldn't really be Diplomacy if people were rushed to make their moves.

Well I wasn't sure if everyone else had put their moves in while I was away for the weekend.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:06:36 AM »

Well I wasn't sure if everyone else had put their moves in while I was away for the weekend.

Absolutely no one has gotten any moves in yet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »

So whenabouts d'ye want our moves in?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »

So whenabouts d'ye want our moves in?

Whenever you're ready, though I would prefer people take at most a week to get them in.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »

Gabu,

Just curious, will you be doing a newspaperesque interpretation of moves after the first turn?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »

Gabu,

Just curious, will you be doing a newspaperesque interpretation of moves after the first turn?

I don't consider myself nearly enough of an expert at Diplomacy to be able to make sense of what people are doing, but if someone else wishes to do so, they're welcome to.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »

Gabu,

I don't consider myself nearly enough of an expert at Diplomacy to be able to make sense of what people are doing, but if someone else wishes to do so, they're welcome to.
A genuine interpretation should not be coming from the GM. At least that's my view.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »

Gabu,

A genuine interpretation should not be coming from the GM. At least that's my view.

Makes sense.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 12:47:07 PM »

Gabu,

Well you wont be doing much once Verin comes back and you seem to know your stuff so you could do something like that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2007, 12:51:36 PM by Caonabó »

Gabu,

Well you wont be doing much once Verin comes back and you seem to know your stuff so you could do something like that.
I might. Not till he actually comes back though. Although we certainly have more experienced Dippy players on here. (*cough* Muon).

Just noticed the old Dippy thread seems not to exist anymore. Cry Angry
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »

Gabu,

I might. Not till he actually comes back though. Although we certainly have more experienced Dippy players on here. (*cough* Muon).

Just noticed the old Dippy thread seems not to exist anymore. Cry Angry

I just spotted the thread today. I'll be happy to opine on the game as it unfolds.

For the GM, I do recommend fixed deadlines for moves. Knowledge of who has submitted and who hasn't will affect a good players diplomacy. A one week deadline is a little long, but not unreasonable. Remember that a FTF game uses 15 minutes for diplomacy. In any case I suggest short response times for retreats and builds, since in FTF they are not permitted diplomacy.

I agree with extentions as needed to accomodate players travel needs. However, a savvy player about to travel would send in an early move without advertising their absence to the other players, just let the GM know to keep the game moving. The best method is for individual player to communicate travel restrictions only to the GM, and let the GM declare the due date for the next move.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »

How bout, workweek for moves, weekend for retreats and builds?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies