Decriminalization of LSD Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:41:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Decriminalization of LSD Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Decriminalization of LSD Bill  (Read 3411 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »

Also, this is from a different Senate session IIRC.  You can't just add your name to withdrawn legislation from any era and have it voted on.

There is no precendent for this, and since you continue my Yates bill, I ask you to continue this bill.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »

All legislation from a previous session dies automatically upon the demise of that session unless the provisions of Article III, Section 3 of the rules is invoked to keep a bill in play.

These provisions, popularly known as the Expired Legislation provisions, in essence require that you make it known within 72 hours of the beginning of the session if you intend to pick up old legislation that is yet to come to a vote. If you don't do this within 72 hours then the legislation "shall be removed from the Senate agenda"

You didn't try to reintroduce and therefore the Senate rules explicitly forbid you to reintroduce the legislation in this manner.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 01:42:03 PM »

While I would fundamentally agree with the Peter position, recently passed Article 9 makes his position slightly less sound.  The first clause of that reads:

"The Senate's consideration of legislation shall not be unduly interupted by the official end of the Senate term and the introduction of new Senators. There shall be no need to deem legislation expired."

There would seem to be some question in my mind whether this provision overrules the whole of Article 3, Section 3, even though it is silent about such provisions.  IMHO, the need for legislation to expire is very important and I would never have agreed to such an amendment.

Anyway, as clearly indicated by some of the actions of the previous session, the OSPR is in need of some repair and one of my goals during this Senate is to rewrite the OSPR to take into account many of these new problems that have arisen.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies