plutocracy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:00:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  plutocracy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: plutocracy?  (Read 3893 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 07:16:38 AM »

This is why the Libertarian Party repells me.

Since when did the Libertarian Party advocate plutocracy? I'm pretty sure we advocate a republic.

plu·toc·ra·cy
n. pl. plu·toc·ra·cies
1. Government by the wealthy.
2. A wealthy class that controls a government.
3. A government or state in which the wealthy rule.

Yup, I'm pretty sure this isn't what we advocate at all. What instead we advocate is that people be allowed to keep their money and property, or at least as much as is feasibly possible, and that they be personally responsible for themselves. Not once have I ever heard a Libertarian advocate that the rich be in charge(be stupid anyways, Paris Hilton is rich and clearly we don't want her in charge).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They can if they work hard enough and smart enough - and though not everyone who has merits can get rich, most are able to at least make a comfortable living for themselves. If a person is poor but smart, all they need is some drive and they can rise up to at least a middle class existence.

You are a poor unless you live upon return on capital (owing).

Right, doctors who work for a living and make over $100k a year are poor. Roll Eyes

Once again you prove you are a latte liberal - advocate helping the poor but don't want to do it yourself.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 08:10:59 AM »

The point to plutocracy is that the rich won't vote for wealth redistribution. Such an electorate is friendly to libertarian ideals, as the founders realized.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »

alcon i have nothing against charities.  they are far superior to government welfare programs.

but lets not kid ourselves, few people give to charity.
Walter, you're a cynical idiot.  Just shut up.

Preston, I don't really think posts like that contribute to anything.  WalterMitty may say something you disagree with, but he's not flaming you, so I don't think there is any need to respond like that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 06:58:43 PM »

You are a poor unless you live upon return on capital (owing).
Right, doctors who work for a living and make over $100k a year are poor. Roll Eyes
Once again you prove you are a latte liberal - advocate helping the poor but don't want to do it yourself.

I never advocate 'helping the poor'!  Such an attitude is nonsensical and offensive.  I have no interest in the poor, other than as potential service providers.  The only thing I do advocate is that the poor demand an emelioration of their subjugated position in the social heirarchy through political action - in other words, at lest vote left-wing if you're not an owner, dumbass.[/quote]
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 09:56:02 PM »

Correct.  Imagine that doctor suddenly loses his mind, or the use of his hands or some such disability - he then makes absolutely no money at all.  He is just as dependent upon the feeble force of his own saleable abilities as the laborer.

1. If someone loses their mind, they are pretty much screwed no matter what their income or capital. They either go homeless or are put in a looney bin. Don't be stupid.

2. If he loses his hands or has some other physical disability, he can still apply his knowledge in another fashion. He could be a teacher, a medical consultant, writer(using one of those voice things that type for you on the computer), or many things. Take a look at Steven Hawking - paralyzed completely, but is rich as hell and continues to make money because he applies his smarts.

[/quote]

In other words, you advocate that the poor change the system into their own favor, which is about the same as advocating helping them. Ultimately it ends up what you advocate being in their favor if it's implemented, dumbass. And I've got no reason to vote for left wing politicians that will end up taking even more money out of my paycheck.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 10:14:13 PM »

Correct.  Imagine that doctor suddenly loses his mind, or the use of his hands or some such disability - he then makes absolutely no money at all.  He is just as dependent upon the feeble force of his own saleable abilities as the laborer.

1. If someone loses their mind, they are pretty much screwed no matter what their income or capital. They either go homeless or are put in a looney bin. Don't be stupid.

No, rich people are only 'eccentric' if they go mad. 

Your working-class hubris is tragic, Dibble.  The money would come from the owning class, not your piddling paycheck.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 12:08:30 AM »

Your working-class hubris is tragic, Dibble.

I have a feeling he's a lot happier than you are.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 08:13:05 AM »

Your working-class hubris is tragic, Dibble.  The money would come from the owning class, not your piddling paycheck.

Actually what is tragic you wasting a perfectly good human brain. My paycheck comes from the people who run the company I work for - yes, they own the company, but their fate is tied to the success of their enterprise as is mine. Having a strong, growing economy is important for the business I work for, as it results in more customers for us and thusly keeping my company in business and ultimately ensuring I get a paycheck. The things you advocate - $15 minimum wage, high taxes for an extreme welfare state - would result in a terrible economy that would likely result in my company having to at the very least make many layoffs, if not completely going under. You are the type of person who fails to look at the bigger picture, who fails to understand that such policies would have a ripple effect that would harm even many of the the low wage workers.

You are also foolish to thing that tax increases will only ever affect the rich. In case you didn't know, there used to be no income tax on anyone except the rich - now everyone has to deal with it, me included. It's moronic to expect that the average person won't be paying more in taxes. There's also the issue of the ripple effect - higher taxes on those who make more money would affect my bosses, and that would affect me in the form of potential layoffs, paychecks that don't pay as much, or various other things that businesses will do to ensure that they make a profit in such an anti-business environment that ultimately affects the working man.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 10:09:40 PM »

Lower standards.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2005, 12:58:42 AM »

Lower standards.

I have higher standards, actually - I don't base my happiness on the availability of whores.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »

im selfish.  i care about myself and my family.  if joe blow down the street is struggling to get by, it doesnt concern me.

Thank you. You just clearly expressed the number one difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Democrats care about their fellow man and want to make the country a better place, while Republicans only care about themselves and don't give a sh*t about anyone or anything else.

That's what it all boils down to between the two major parties in the U.S.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »

im selfish.  i care about myself and my family.  if joe blow down the street is struggling to get by, it doesnt concern me.

Thank you. You just clearly expressed the number one difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Democrats care about their fellow man and want to make the country a better place, while Republicans only care about themselves and don't give a sh*t about anyone or anything else.

It's uterly immoral and inhuman as well.  I don't think I want to waste the effort debating with someone who has this kind of mentality.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 04:32:01 PM »

It's uterly immoral and inhuman as well.  I don't think I want to waste the effort debating with someone who has this kind of mentality.

wait a second....

im getting a lecture in humanity from someone with a confederate flag in their sig?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »

wait a second....

im getting a lecture in humanity from someone with a confederate flag in their sig?

You know you're "immoral" and "inhumane", when[/i[]....
Cheesy
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2005, 12:39:47 AM »

I don't think it's immoral or inhuman. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being self-interested. People like Walter are good for society - they take care of themselves and aren't a nuisance to others, and I wish more people would live like that. Yeah, so he's not that concerned about helping people he doesn't know, but then again he doesn't expect help from others either. He'd be a hypocrite if he did, but so long as he doesn't want help in return for no help, it's just fine with me because he's not a burden on anyone else.

And it's idiotic to act as if the Republicans don't care about anyone and that the Democrats are so noble and helpful. Plenty of Republicans are very charitable, and plenty of Democrats don't give a rat's ass about other people - heck, some say they do but don't really, they just say it to get a smug sense of satisfaction, the idea that they are 'good' people when really they just want to feel good about themselves by presenting some image that they 'care'. I'd say Walter is much better than such people - at least he's honest.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »

why do people speak of plutocracy as if it is a bad thing?

i, of course, think a plutocracy is the way to go.

people, you need to drop the pretense that you 'care' about your fellow man.  most of you dont.  but of course it isnt politically correct to openly admit that.

we need a free market system with the achievers at the top.

Man, wouldn't Ron Paul love that?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »

alcon i have nothing against charities.  they are far superior to government welfare programs.

but lets not kid ourselves, few people give to charity.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like jmfst, I tithe and this year, I plan to do a little bit more than that.

Some of those ultra-rich people I know also contribute and spend a great deal of there time working with charities.  Sorry to stand up so politically incorrectly and defend at least some of the rich, but I know exceptionally wealthy people who use their money, not to wield power, but to improve society.  They are decent people.  I've been impressed by their willingness to listen and learn.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »

why do people speak of plutocracy as if it is a bad thing?

i, of course, think a plutocracy is the way to go.

people, you need to drop the pretense that you 'care' about your fellow man.  most of you dont.  but of course it isnt politically correct to openly admit that.

we need a free market system with the achievers at the top.

Does that mean there is a right to abortion?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies