State Your Positions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:32:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  State Your Positions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: State Your Positions  (Read 17681 times)
TheMadcapSyd

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2004, 10:46:12 AM »

Abortion: I am personally against it, but I believe in a women's right to choose.

Iraq: Was worth it to me, it's what should have been done back in the 1st Gulf war. Sends a message to the world that we are not putting up with this anymore.

Tax Cuts: I support them for everyone including the rich, they should not have to pay a higher rate just because they make more. We need more tax cuts and a ederal government that can stop spending our money on foolish things.

Gun Control: Should be up to states, not federal, and the states should have very little power on what restrictions they can play on guns. The 2nd amendment is there for a reason, you can't just ignore it. Remember, a government that takes weapons away from its people is a government thatt has nothing to fear.

Education: Leave it to the state and local government.

Religion: I'm for seperation of church and state, but some things people complain about today are just a little ridiculous, like the "In God We Trust" on money.

Same Sex Marriage: Against it, it is for a man and woman.

Death penalty: I support it, and believe that the states that have removed it need to bring it back.

Affirmative action: Against it, it is nothing more then reverse discrimination

Homeland Security: Tighten immigration laws, and get the different departments to comunicate more, but repeal the Patriot act.

Immigration: We have borders for a reason, it's 1 thing for someone to come here legally, take the test and become a full citizen, it's another to be hopping the border.

1 last note: I think English needs to be made an offical language by all the states and the federal government, alot of books and websites now, when defining our country now list Spanish as a major language along with English.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2004, 10:48:32 AM »

Abortion: I am personally against it, but I believe in a women's right to choose.

Iraq: Was worth it to me, it's what should have been done back in the 1st Gulf war. Sends a message to the world that we are not putting up with this anymore.

Tax Cuts: I support them for everyone including the rich, they should not have to pay a higher rate just because they make more. We need more tax cuts and a ederal government that can stop spending our money on foolish things.

Gun Control: Should be up to states, not federal, and the states should have very little power on what restrictions they can play on guns. The 2nd amendment is there for a reason, you can't just ignore it. Remember, a government that takes weapons away from its people is a government thatt has nothing to fear.

Education: Leave it to the state and local government.

Religion: I'm for seperation of church and state, but some things people complain about today are just a little ridiculous, like the "In God We Trust" on money.

Same Sex Marriage: Against it, it is for a man and woman.

Death penalty: I support it, and believe that the states that have removed it need to bring it back.

Affirmative action: Against it, it is nothing more then reverse discrimination

Homeland Security: Tighten immigration laws, and get the different departments to comunicate more, but repeal the Patriot act.

Immigration: We have borders for a reason, it's 1 thing for someone to come here legally, take the test and become a full citizen, it's another to be hopping the border.

1 last note: I think English needs to be made an offical language by all the states and the federal government, alot of books and websites now, when defining our country now list Spanish as a major language along with English.

Welcome to the forum, Syd.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2004, 12:12:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, Poland has been around since the 11th and 12th centuries, and the Po tribe has been around longer. It fell apart in the 18th century, and after the treaty of versailles was reestablished.

We used to have free education without the government. What would happen was neighborhoods would organize together to create a school, and parents would switch off teaching or they would hire a tutor. It worked well.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2005, 05:51:12 AM »

Abortion:
Excellent!

Iraq:
Money in the pocket of Bush's constituency, plus some jingoistic electoral benefits.

Tax Cuts:
Raise them for the rich, eliminate for the lower/middle working class.

Gun Control:
Absolute ban of handguns, and strict licensing and tracking procedures for rifles and shotguns.

Educations:
Free university education for all, and free retraining for the unemployed.

Religion:  Feed them to the lions!

Homeland Security:  Abolish this fascistic department.

Other Civil Liberties:
For an absolute right to privacy (meaning legalization of all 'victimless crimes' such as drugs and prostitution).

Gay Marriage: For it.

Death Penalty:  Oppose absolutely.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2005, 05:52:22 AM »

Perhaps because it is child abuse.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2005, 05:55:03 AM »

My problem with joining the ACLU (aside from the membership fees) is their defense of NAMBLA.

They defend those whackjobs?  That's f'ed up. 

Why shouldn't they?  The ACLU is pro-freedom, unlike you, prude.

Death penalty - only for cop killers.

Cop killers are freedom fighters, Texasgurle.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2005, 06:02:37 AM »

Cop killers are freedom fighters, Texasgurle.

LOL
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2005, 08:23:32 AM »

Abortion:

Womens right to choose, life doesn't begin until birth.

Iraq:

It was a horible idea but pulling out now would be worse, I would try to go all out against the enemies and get it so Iraq can handle itself a soon as possible.

Tax Cuts:

Cut taxes after we finish the Iraq war and do away with homeland security.

Gun Control:

No gun control, the second ammendment protects our right to use all guns for protection against tyranny in government.

Educations:

Completely redo the education system in America, that is one of the biggest problems facing America.  Get rid of the no student gets ahead plan Bush set up.

Religion:

complete sepertation of church and state.  Allow all workers to work any days they want and don't force people to do the pledge.

Homeland Security:

Tear up the Patriot Act and do away with Homeland Security.

Other Civil Liberties:

I believe the majority of people wouldn't discriminate when hiring, those who do will be punished by not having the best man or woman for the job, others will hire all races.  Have a military accepting of all orientations.

Gay Marriage:

All people should be allowed to marry whomever they want.  I don't believe the state should regulate marriages.

Death Penalty:

Death penalty for murderers, rapists, and terrorists that are over 16.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2005, 09:24:20 AM »

Abortion - I believe abortions should be legal only in cases of rape, incest, or threat to the mothers health.

Iraq - 12 years too late to finish the job, but worth the money.  Keep our troops in-country until the Iraqi's are capable of protecting their nation.

Tax Cuts - A good policy decision to keep the economy going during a recession.  Scaled tax cuts for the future might be a consideration.

Gun Control - Ban all fully automatic and semi-auto guns.  Beyond that, people may own guns as they please.

Educations - Start running schools like companies, and eliminate waste.  Open the schools fund raising up to outside investors and/or allow the schools to use excess funds to purchase dividend-generating bonds as an alternate source of income.

Religion - Liberal definition of "Separation of Church and State" goes against the Constitution.  People on all levels can publicly express their religious beliefs without being harassed, and laws stripping away people's rights to show their beliefs (holiday decorations, in classrooms, etc) should be revoked.

Homeland Security - A good start.  Needs improvement.

Other Civil Liberties - No national health care.  End Affirmative Action.

Gay Marriage - Against "gay marriage."  Not against gays.

Death Penalty - Pro death penalty when the defendant is clearly guilty (caught on tape for example).

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2005, 09:28:42 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2005, 08:26:31 PM by Frodo »

Abortion: Should be left to the states to decide, and not the federal courts.  Am personally pro-choice, but I support parental and spousal notification laws, a ban on partial birth abortion, and outlawing all abortions performed after the first trimester with the exception for the life of the would-be-mother and incest.

I would also add that to ultimately reduce the incidence of abortions, that comprehensive sex education be strongly encouraged by the federal government though not mandated.  It would comprise a variety of approaches including abstinence, adoption, contraception, and safer sexual practices.  No one approach will be the silver bullet, and to focus on one to the exclusion of others is a recipe for failure.  Fatherhood initiatives should also be started so as to impress upon young men throughout the nation that they should bear responsibility for their actions by standing by the girls they impregnate to help father the child.   

Iraq War: I opposed this war from the start, and participated in antiwar demonstrations when upwards of 75% of the country supported it at the time.  However, since we are already there, it will be more disastrous for our national security if we leave before our task in stabilizing the country is finished, and I do not want to see it become even more of a den for terrorists than it already is, as happened to Afghanistan after we abandoned that war-torn country once the Soviets withdrew their troops. 

Tax Cuts: There is some merit to the idea that by cutting taxes on businesses and individuals, that over time even more revenue starts flowing into the treasury as businesses and individuals begin making more as the burden of federal taxation is lightened.  However, in an era of high federal budget deficits and an ever-escalating burden of the federal debt, that we should rescind tax cuts for businesses and wealthier individuals in order that we may be better able to balance the budget.  The vast majority of Americans prefer rescinding tax cuts to cutting programs geared to help the poor and the sick, and I am of that opinion as well.

Gun Control: Strongly oppose virtually all forms of gun control, since only law-abiding citizens will likely be affected by such laws, leaving them to the mercy of the criminal element. 

Education: With ever skyrocketing tuition rates, along with increasing numbers of students attending public colleges and universities, the federal government should do all it can to alleviate this burden by vastly increasing the amount it contributes to grants and loans, while strongly encouraging states to increase their higher education spending. 

For secondary education, the federal government should increase its funding for the No Child Left Behind law.  I strongly dislike unfunded or underfunded mandates imposed by the federal government on states and localities, and if they are going to impose such burdens, the least they can do is fully fund them.

Religion: I strongly support President Bush's faith-based initiatives program, and do not see it as infringing on the wall separating church and state.  As long as there is no establishment of a state church, I don't see the problem in letting faith-based organizations like Habitat for Humanity,  the Salvation Army, or other groups receive federal funding so they could better help those most in need like the poor so long as traditional federal programs are not underfunded in the process. 

Homeland Security: I strongly support the Patriot Act, and the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security, and we should increase funding to protect vulnerable targets like ports and nuclear power plants, as well as requiring chemical plants to follow federal guidelines in enhancing their protection from any terrorist attack, among other things that we should do.  I would also support waiving the Posse Comitatus Act so as to allow the military to respond to a major terrorist attack on home soil, but only on condition that it be used only as a last resort.

Other Civil Liberties: The military should abandon its 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell' policy regarding gays and lesbians -they have served this country bravely in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it is only just that we should honor their contributions by letting them serve openly alongside heterosexuals, and harshly crack down on any instance in which they are discriminated against.  On other matters, 'Free Speech Zones' should be eliminated, and we should let demonstrators be able to protest within sight and hearing of the President of the United States, rather than being shunted off two or three blocks away. 

Gay Marriage: I oppose gay marriage, but gays and lesbians should have the right to have civil unions, and have all the rights and privileges that heterosexual couples do, including hospital visitation rights, and the right to adopt children, among others. 

Death Penalty: I support it, but it should be applied only to terrorists, first degree murderers, and those convicted of treason.     
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2005, 03:41:50 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2006, 10:44:48 AM by Lt. Governor SoS »

Abortion:

Fully in support of a woman's right to choose. I do however hate the idea of so called 'partial birth abortions', but do not believe they should be outlawed. Basically: Support

Iraq:

Nothing more than a collaboration between PNAC and Enron et. al. to do things that are corrupt and pathetic. Basically: Strongly Opposed.

Tax Cuts:

I support the abolition of all non-percentile taxes, and support only % taxes.  Basically: opposed.

Gun Control:

I support the assault weapons ban, and the mandatory safety, but opppose handgun bans. Basically: support in most cases

Educations:

Two words: Universial Education

Religion:

Complete separation of church and state, not a nominal lip-service separation. Remove pledge and remove Under God from money. Basically: Strongly Support Sep. of Church and State

Homeland Security:

Favour the creation of a Department of Intelligence that overseas co-operation between federal and state agencies. I know from experience that getting information out of the F.B.I for municipal law enforcement for example is like getting blood from a stone. Basically: I hate this topic. Smiley

Other Civil Liberties:

End the don't ask, don't tell policy. Have a military accepting of all orientations.

Gay Marriage:

Basically: Strongly Support

Death Penalty:

My opinion was best phrased by Gandhi: "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." Basically: STRONGLY opposed
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »

Abortion:  Murder, plain and simple. Overturn Roe and enact laws criminalizing abortion at the federal or state level.

Iraq:  Has served a purpose surely, especially through the influence we have gained in the Middle East. The comparatively low cost in lives and dollars spent is a benefit.

Tax Cuts:  I'll support tax cuts once the government stops spending like it is now.

Gun Control:  Opposed to nearly all gun control.  Support Vermont-style concealed carry laws; oppose "assault weapon" bans; oppose mandatory trigger locks, etc.

Education:  Remove federla involvement outside of tax support, ditto for state government.

Religion:  Bring it back into American life. I'd like to see a mandatory prayer to begin the school day.

Gay Marriage:  Such things can not exist.

Death Penalty:  Remove unless it is shown that their living poses a danger to the nation. Replace with slavery and extremely sh!tty prison conditions.

Affirmative Action:  Limited financial based AA for college admissions, abolish all other kinds.

Homeland Security:  Expand USA PATRIOT Act to include more powers for law-enforcement. Eliminate DHS.

Civil Liberties:  Remove as many as possible.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2005, 03:54:53 PM »

Abortion: Legal within 90 days of conception.

Iraq:It was an expensive mistake (in both life and money) to go in, and I'd have voted against the resolution in Oct 2002.  However, we can't leave now and I support all funding necessary to complete the job as soon as possible.

Tax Cuts: Bush's tax cuts did the reverse of what should be done; a middle class and lower class tax cut should be drafter and not one that gives a disproportionate amount to the upper classes.

Gun Control: In theory, I'm in support of gun control, but I realize criminals won't let the law get in the way of gun possession.  But I still support background checks, mandatory trigger locks, etc. 

Educations:  Against vouchers.  Do what we can to make sure public schools are funded properly and are effective; education is a fundemental right.

Religion: I'm an atheist.  But hell, if it's your thing, go ahead and pray to your lord.  It's a free country--just don't impose your views on others.

Homeland Security:  The homeland is secure.

Other Civil Liberties:  Do what you like.  Just don't hurt anybody.

Gay Marriage:  I personally support full marraige rights to gay couples.  It's a state-by-state government issue, too.

Death Penalty: Support as an option for first-degree murder and mass murder, etc.  But personally, if I killed someone, I'd rather die within a few years than spend 50 years in a jail cell, wouldn't you?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2005, 04:01:03 PM »

Abortion: Legal, though not constitutionally protected

Iraq: The war was unnecessary and expensive.

Tax Cuts: The tax cuts were positive; more tax cuts would be excellent.

Gun Control: All restrictions on who may bear firearms should be abolished, except with respect to juveniles, felons, and insane persons. I oppose the assault weapons ban. Concealed carrying should be lawful even without licenses.  

Educations: I favor school vouchers.

Religion: Government should be kept completely separate from religion.

Homeland Security: Civil liberties have been infringed too much in the name of security.

Gay Marriage: An issue for the states to decide; I personally have no objection to gay marriages.

Death Penalty: I oppose the death penalty for several reasons; most importantly, a lot of innocents have been put to death.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

I have a question for Tory and those who agree with him, you are against abortion except when its rape.  If you believe its a human life since conception, should you be able to kill your 5 year old kids if they were from a rape.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2005, 05:23:41 PM »

I have a question for Tory and those who agree with him, you are against abortion except when its rape.  If you believe its a human life since conception, should you be able to kill your 5 year old kids if they were from a rape.

You'd only say that about a person that has been born yet if you're an idiot. As for why someone would be allowed to have an abortion then if not in other circumstances is that if you were raped and got pregnant it wasn't your decision. If you were fooling around and it happened you took on the risk yourself.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2005, 06:32:15 PM »

You'd only say that about a person that has been born yet if you're an idiot. As for why someone would be allowed to have an abortion then if not in other circumstances is that if you were raped and got pregnant it wasn't your decision. If you were fooling around and it happened you took on the risk yourself.

No, he's got a point.  If one believes abortion is murder, it's hypocritical for them to support a rape exception.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2005, 06:39:03 PM »

Abortion: I'm not a big fan of imposing my morals on others, but I believe abortion is murder and therefore am strongly opposed except to save the mother's life.

Iraq: I would have supported if WMDs were found, but they weren't and instead has taken our focus foreighn policy wise from more imment threats such as  North Korea and Iran.  However, it would be very foolish to pull out until the Democratic government is fully in place.

Tax Cuts: I favor tax cuts for the lower classes and if there is immense economic growth to start exploring for the middle and eventually upper class.

Gun Control: All gun control should be state and local.

Education:  Repeal NCLB and let states have more control over education policy, though some federal funding is necessary.

Religion: No religious displays on public grounds, no school prayer.  I support funding for some faith-based initatives if done on a blind basis.

Homeland Security: I support responsible use of the PATRIOT Act.

Gay Marriage: Personally-strongly favor, but let the states decide.

Death Penalty: Strongly oppose on moral and practical grounds.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »

Abortion:  Murder, plain and simple. Overturn Roe and enact laws criminalizing abortion at the federal or state level.

Iraq:  Has served a purpose surely, especially through the influence we have gained in the Middle East. The comparatively low cost in lives and dollars spent is a benefit.

Tax Cuts:  I'll support tax cuts once the government stops spending like it is now.

Gun Control:  Opposed to nearly all gun control.  Support Vermont-style concealed carry laws; oppose "assault weapon" bans; oppose mandatory trigger locks, etc.

Education:  Remove federla involvement outside of tax support, ditto for state government.

Religion:  Bring it back into American life. I'd like to see a mandatory prayer to begin the school day.

Gay Marriage:  Such things can not exist.

Death Penalty:  Remove unless it is shown that their living poses a danger to the nation. Replace with slavery and extremely sh!tty prison conditions.

Affirmative Action:  Limited financial based AA for college admissions, abolish all other kinds.

Homeland Security:  Expand USA PATRIOT Act to include more powers for law-enforcement. Eliminate DHS.

Civil Liberties:  Remove as many as possible.

No change
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2006, 07:22:15 PM »

Abortion:  completely protected, along with drugs use, prostitution, and a great many other freedoms under the Constitutional Right to Privacy.

Iraq:  Reinstate Saddam Hussein with apologies and reparations.

Tax Cuts:  Increase taxes enormously upon the upper classes.

Gun Control:  Yes

Education:  Treble funding, make college education free, and strive to eliminate the advantages of the wealthier privately educated classes.

Religion:  Strictly ban it from public life and government.  

Homeland Security:  Abolish the department, repeal PATRIOT Act, and abandon all support for Isreal.

Gay Marriage:  Yes

Death Penalty:  abolish in all cases
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
let me see if anything has changed......

Abortion:

Fully in support of a woman's right to choose. I do however hate the idea of so called 'partial birth abortions', and I believe that all third trimester abortions should be illegal. Basically: Support

Wow, only one thing. Not bad.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2006, 11:12:16 AM »

Abortion: Should be left to the states to decide, and not the federal courts.  Am personally pro-choice, but I support parental and spousal notification laws, a ban on partial birth abortion, and outlawing all abortions performed after the first trimester with the exception for the life of the would-be-mother and incest.

I would also add that to ultimately reduce the incidence of abortions, that comprehensive sex education be strongly encouraged by the federal government though not mandated.  It would comprise a variety of approaches including abstinence, adoption, contraception, and safer sexual practices.  No one approach will be the silver bullet, and to focus on one to the exclusion of others is a recipe for failure.  Fatherhood initiatives should also be started so as to impress upon young men throughout the nation that they should bear responsibility for their actions by standing by the girls they impregnate to help father the child.   

Iraq War: I opposed this war from the start, and participated in antiwar demonstrations when upwards of 75% of the country supported it at the time.  However, since we are already there, it will be more disastrous for our national security if we leave before our task in stabilizing the country is finished, and I do not want to see it become even more of a den for terrorists than it already is, as happened to Afghanistan after we abandoned that war-torn country once the Soviets withdrew their troops. 

Tax Cuts: There is some merit to the idea that by cutting taxes on businesses and individuals, that over time even more revenue starts flowing into the treasury as businesses and individuals begin making more as the burden of federal taxation is lightened.  However, in an era of high federal budget deficits and an ever-escalating burden of the federal debt, that we should rescind tax cuts for businesses and wealthier individuals in order that we may be better able to balance the budget.  The vast majority of Americans prefer rescinding tax cuts to cutting programs geared to help the poor and the sick, and I am of that opinion as well.

Gun Control: Strongly oppose virtually all forms of gun control, since only law-abiding citizens will likely be affected by such laws, leaving them to the mercy of the criminal element. 

Education: With ever skyrocketing tuition rates, along with increasing numbers of students attending public colleges and universities, the federal government should do all it can to alleviate this burden by vastly increasing the amount it contributes to grants and loans, while strongly encouraging states to increase their higher education spending. 

For secondary education, the federal government should increase its funding for the No Child Left Behind law.  I strongly dislike unfunded or underfunded mandates imposed by the federal government on states and localities, and if they are going to impose such burdens, the least they can do is fully fund them.

Religion: I strongly support President Bush's faith-based initiatives program, and do not see it as infringing on the wall separating church and state.  As long as there is no establishment of a state church, I don't see the problem in letting faith-based organizations like Habitat for Humanity,  the Salvation Army, or other groups receive federal funding so they could better help those most in need like the poor so long as traditional federal programs are not underfunded in the process. 

Homeland Security: I strongly support the Patriot Act, and the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security, and we should increase funding to protect vulnerable targets like ports and nuclear power plants, as well as requiring chemical plants to follow federal guidelines in enhancing their protection from any terrorist attack, among other things that we should do.  I would also support waiving the Posse Comitatus Act so as to allow the military to respond to a major terrorist attack on home soil, but only on condition that it be used only as a last resort.

Other Civil Liberties: The military should abandon its 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell' policy regarding gays and lesbians -they have served this country bravely in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it is only just that we should honor their contributions by letting them serve openly alongside heterosexuals, and harshly crack down on any instance in which they are discriminated against.  On other matters, 'Free Speech Zones' should be eliminated, and we should let demonstrators be able to protest within sight and hearing of the President of the United States, rather than being shunted off two or three blocks away. 

Gay Marriage: I oppose gay marriage, but gays and lesbians should have the right to have civil unions, and have all the rights and privileges that heterosexual couples do, including hospital visitation rights, and the right to adopt children, among others. 

Death Penalty: I support it, but it should be applied only to terrorists, traitors, and those convicted of murder in the first degree.     

No change -I stand by everything I have typed. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »

In a brief sentence or so state your positions on the big issues of the day as below.

Abortion:

I don't think abortion is a constitutional right.  I think the issue should be returned to the legislative and executive branches to decide the best course of action.  Personally, I oppose abortion, but can accept early term abortions in certain cases.  It's not a black and white issue.

Iraq:

We need to defeat the terrorists in Iraq or they will attack us increasingly at home.

Tax Cuts:

No further tax cuts without spending cuts.

Gun Control:

I think gun control is ineffective.

Education:

We are already spending a huge amount on education, and not really getting our money's worth.  Money is not the solution.  I support vouchers for people in areas with failing schools, to break the link between place of residence and access to good educational opportunities.

Religion:

Separation of church and state does not mean driving religion from public life.  I support religious freedom.

Homeland Security:

Favor Patriot Act.

Other Civil Liberties:

N/A

Gay Marriage:

Oppose gay marriage.

Death Penalty:

Support the death penalty for certain types of murder cases.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »

In a brief sentence or so state your positions on the big issues of the day as below.

Abortion:

I feel that it should be legal in the first trimester only.  Personally, I believe it is wrong and we should work to reduce the number the number of abortions.  I support banning second and third trimester abortions.

Iraq:

I dont like the Iraq war but feel we have to do a gradual pullout and not an immediate one.

Tax Cuts:

No mored tax cuts till the deficit is gone.

Gun Control:

There are certain types of guns that should not be legal.  I favor less gun control than more.

Education:

I support public education and believe we should fund it appropriately to make sure we have the best and brightest students possible.

Religion:

I have a mixed opinion.  Its not the most important issue to me.

Homeland Security:

Support the patriot act.

Other Civil Liberties:

N/A

Gay Marriage:

I support Civil Unions and I wouldnt have a problem with Gay marriage being legalized

Death Penalty:

Support the death penalty for the most serious crimes.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2006, 02:36:45 PM »

Abortion: I'm not a big fan of imposing my morals on others, but I believe abortion is murder and therefore am strongly opposed except to save the mother's life.

Iraq: I would have supported if WMDs were found, but they weren't and instead has taken our focus foreighn policy wise from more imment threats such as  North Korea and Iran.  However, it would be very foolish to pull out until the Democratic government is fully in place.

Tax Cuts: I favor tax cuts for the lower classes and if there is immense economic growth to start exploring for the middle and eventually upper class.

Gun Control: All gun control should be state and local.

Education:  Repeal NCLB and let states have more control over education policy, though some federal funding is necessary.

Religion: No religious displays on public grounds, no school prayer.  I support funding for some faith-based initatives if done on a blind basis.

Homeland Security: I support responsible use of the PATRIOT Act.

Gay Marriage: Personally-strongly favor, but let the states decide.

Death Penalty: Strongly oppose on moral and practical grounds.

I think, on balance, you make a better Democrat Smiley nini

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies