State Your Positions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:26:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  State Your Positions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: State Your Positions  (Read 17561 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2006, 12:00:17 AM »

Abortion: I'm not a big fan of imposing my morals on others, but I believe abortion is murder and therefore am strongly opposed except to save the mother's life.

Iraq: I would have supported if WMDs were found, but they weren't and instead has taken our focus foreighn policy wise from more imment threats such as  North Korea and Iran.  However, it would be very foolish to pull out until the Democratic government is fully in place.

Tax Cuts: I favor tax cuts for the lower classes and if there is immense economic growth to start exploring for the middle and eventually upper class.

Gun Control: All gun control should be state and local.

Education:  Repeal NCLB and let states have more control over education policy, though some federal funding is necessary.

Religion: No religious displays on public grounds, no school prayer.  I support funding for some faith-based initatives if done on a blind basis.

Homeland Security: I support responsible use of the PATRIOT Act.

Gay Marriage: Personally-strongly favor, but let the states decide.

Death Penalty: Strongly oppose on moral and practical grounds.

I think, on balance, you make a better Democrat Smiley nini

Dave

Well these were mainly focused on social issues, but the only position I've changed is that I feel now that there should be no federal funding for charities, secular or religous.  However, if we do fund charities, I stand by my original position.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2006, 12:04:49 AM »

In a brief sentence or so state your positions on the big issues of the day as below.

Abortion:

I feel that it should be legal in the first trimester only.  Personally, I believe it is wrong and we should work to reduce the number the number of abortions.  I support banning second and third trimester abortions.

Iraq:

I dont like the Iraq war but feel we have to do a gradual pullout and not an immediate one.

Tax Cuts:

No mored tax cuts till the deficit is gone.

Gun Control:

There are certain types of guns that should not be legal.  I favor less gun control than more.

Education:

I support public education and believe we should fund it appropriately to make sure we have the best and brightest students possible.

Religion:

I have a mixed opinion.  Its not the most important issue to me.

Homeland Security:

Support the patriot act.

Other Civil Liberties:

N/A

Gay Marriage:

I support Civil Unions and I wouldnt have a problem with Gay marriage being legalized

Death Penalty:

Support the death penalty for the most serious crimes.

Why are you a Republican?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2006, 12:06:58 AM »

Abortion: 
Strongly pro-choice

Iraq:
The Iraq war was not a mistake. It was based upon delibrate lies. If Bush is going to be running things, we need to get the hell out ASAP

Tax Cuts: 
Helped turn an $87 billion a year surplus into $600 billion a year deficits. Very fiscally irresponsible.iety starting with the most in need.

Gun Control:
Who cares?

Education:
School vouchers are bad. We need more spending on research.

Religion:
No governmental money for faith based groups.

Homeland Security:
Needs to be completely revamped. The Dept. of Homeland Security is more interested in helping Republicans than fighting terrorists.  Bush is simply making us less secure.

Other Civil Liberties:
Strongly oppose the Bush adminstration's weaking of civil liberties.

Gay Marriage:
Support

Death Penalty:
Oppose
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2006, 04:07:20 AM »

Abortion-  Fully support a women's right to choose in first two semesters.  beyond that favor the right in cases of rape, incest, and health of the mother.

gay Marriage-  Fully support equal marriage rights for Gays

Tax Cuts-   Any Cuts made should be focused on working & middle class, cuts in a wartime is a very bad idea, should repeal the cuts for those making over $200,000

Iraq-  opposed from the start, thought it hurt us in going after Al Qaeda & finishing the job iN Afghanistan.  Very very badly planned.  Don't favor an immediate pullout, but we need to get out soon, start gradually pulling troops asap, out completley within 12-months or so

Education-  Vouchers won't cut it, need to focus on research, and actually really funding the schools, actually teach Science in Science Class, Evolution, not the I.D crap

Religion-  no $$$ to religious based organizations, no prayer in school,
 Seperation of Church & State

Death Penalty - Oppose

Gun Control-  Some guns should never be legal outside of law enforcement, thee day waiting periods, backround checks  for all gun purchases, majoe fines to gun show operators, as well as gun store owners who don't abide by the law, mandatory trigger locks.  Should be the same across the entire country, because many iguns used in crimes in D.C, NYC, Philly, Detroit, while illegal when used were legally purchased in other areas, then sold on black market.  Responsible citizens should be able to have guns, but we should do as muh as possible to keep guns out of the wrong hands.

Homeland Security-  chertoff must be fired ASAP, Overhaul the entire system, Patriot Act needs to be revamped

Drugs- legalize Marijuana decrease penalties on other drugs (no reason someone arrested soley on a drug carge should do more time than someone who beat their wife.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2006, 08:06:39 AM »

In a brief sentence or so state your positions on the big issues of the day as below.

Abortion:

I feel that it should be legal in the first trimester only.  Personally, I believe it is wrong and we should work to reduce the number the number of abortions.  I support banning second and third trimester abortions.

Iraq:

I dont like the Iraq war but feel we have to do a gradual pullout and not an immediate one.

Tax Cuts:

No mored tax cuts till the deficit is gone.

Gun Control:

There are certain types of guns that should not be legal.  I favor less gun control than more.

Education:

I support public education and believe we should fund it appropriately to make sure we have the best and brightest students possible.

Religion:

I have a mixed opinion.  Its not the most important issue to me.

Homeland Security:

Support the patriot act.

Other Civil Liberties:

N/A

Gay Marriage:

I support Civil Unions and I wouldnt have a problem with Gay marriage being legalized

Death Penalty:

Support the death penalty for the most serious crimes.

Why are you a Republican?
There are several economic issues not listed up there that make me a Republican.  I could probably pass easily as a Democrat.   
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »

Abortion: Complete legalization in all circumstances. ITs the woman's body not yours so as far as I'm concerned nobody else has a say.

Iraq: Iraq was a waste of time for several reasons. THere was no point to going in.

Tax Cuts: They're good but not in bush's form. We need to make the tax system more proportional.

Gun Control: Abolish all gun control laws. No more waiting periods, no more banned guns. Unless its military hardware you should be able to buy it at the 7-11.

Educations: I favor vouchers

Religion:

Complete separation of church and state, not a nominal lip-service separation. Stop passing laws based on christian morality. Tax churces.

Homeland Security:
Stop violating people's civil liberties

Other Civil Liberties:
Base AA on class and not race

Gay Marriage: Have the state not be decidign who can get married but instead make everyone get civil unions. Let churches decide who gets "married".

Death Penalty: Oppose. I would replace it with life in prison doing hard, unpaid forced labor. And if theyu try escaping form THAt... then the death penaltiy. IF you screw up enough times you should either die or become a "Servant of the state" for life.

Drugs: Legalize marijuana, shrooms, ectasy and other soft drugs fully. Decriminalize the use of the harder drugs and simply make the punishments for using them be medical treatment, community service or fines. Abolish the drinking/smokign age for alcohol and tobacco but make the buying age by 15 and not be obsessive aobut checkign for ID.

the media: Get rid of FCC censorship. The FCC is fine for setting safety standards/preventing monopolies but censorship is jsut uncalled for.

immigration: Only allow in latins and east asians. A constituional amendment to only grant citizenship to people born in the US or people who legitimitely naturalize woudl be added. If you're the child of an immigrant you shouldn't get citizenship just because you're born here. Don't provide ANY social services for illegals.

Privacy: Disable the power of the state and big business to spy on people. Remove selective service registration requireements and burn the data. Do the same with various other government data collection programs. They have no rights to know aobut us. Have srict privacy laws enforced on businesses. MAkeit easier for people to change their identity.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2007, 06:42:26 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2007, 07:30:17 AM by Ebowed »

Abortion:  Safe, legal & free.  Same goes for contraception.

Iraq:  Opposed the war.  Support troop withdrawal & oppose escalating the conflict with Iran.

Tax Cuts:  Oppose any cuts to rich income taxes, but support removing sin taxes which disproportionately affect the poor.

Gun Control:  Ban all guns.

Education:  Better national standards, including an increased focus on science, although standardized testing should be de-emphasized.  Homeschooling should generally be illegal.

Religion:  No displays of religious symbols or creeds on government property.  People can worship whatever they want at home or at church.  No religious influence over goverment policy which restricts the rights of others, although all viewpoints should be considered.

Homeland Security:  Abolish the department, repeal the PATRIOT Act, restore habeas corpus.

Gay Marriage:  Of course.

Death Penalty:  Abolish.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2007, 08:12:09 AM »

Abortion:  Support woman's right to choose, 12 weeks with medical approval. After that for the medical well-being of the mother (including mental health)

Iraq:  The War was a mistake. We must organise a steady but ordered withdrawral. The moral responsibility remains to support Iraq.

Tax Cuts:  Tax cuts must NOT be ever made permanent, they are important, but must be balanced with the financial priorities of the state. Top priority for low and middle income tax cuts.

Gun Control:  All those in possession of weapons must register each one. Every adult wishing to possess a gun must apply for a licence. Self-defence is not a reasonable reason to be approved for a gun licence. Get over yourselves... either head out into the woods with your militias and wait for the showdown or become part of civilised society.

Education:  Focus on basic numeracy and literacy in early years. Vouchers are a sign of abandonment of public education.

Religion:  Separation of Church and State. The rights of all people who worship peacefully are to be respected.

Homeland Security:  More streamlining, repeal the USA PATRIOT Act.

Gay Marriage:  Full legal equality for gay and lesbian couples.

Death Penalty:  It's barbaric and only satisfies primitive blood-lust.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:29 AM »

Abortion:

I support the right for a women to make up their own mind on not to have one or not, but personal I don't agree with it at all. I also think after the first 3 months you should not be able to have one.

Iraq:

I agree with the war in Iraq when we started it, but now that Bush messed up the country and put it in worst shape then it was I believe we need to stay in their untill things get alittle better. I believe we should get aid from the UN to help us with this, also send over half of our troops back home over a 1 year time frame.

Tax Cuts:

I believe a flatter tax rate would help out everyone in the end, I would say anywhere between 15-20%

Gun Control:

Back ground checks should be done on everyone buying/living with someone with a gun. Banned hand guns.

Educations:

Don't think school vouchers are a good idea, however there needs to be more money at both a state and federal level into our schools.

Religion:

Separation of church and state I believe has gone to far, having the word God on the money ect. dosen't point to one type of God.

Homeland Security:

I would keep everything the same.

Other Civil Liberties:

Endaffirmative action
End the don't ask, don't tell policy.

Gay Marriage:

Strongly favour marriage for same-sex couples

Death Penalty:

Support it, but make it hard to be put on death row.

Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2007, 10:48:19 AM »

Abortion:

Strongly oppose. Abortion should only be legal if murdering your brother is too.

Iraq:

More examples of cultural imperiaism and torturing and killing Muslims for the sake of the US and Israel's foolish benefit.

Tax Cuts:

I think the rich Capitalist pigs should be drained of all their precious wealth and learn to respect the working man!

Gun Control:

Gun control is a blight on this planet that robs America of its personal freedoms. Strongly oppose.

Educations:

Support vouchers for any private, religious, or home school. In fact, I think the government should stay out of education.

Religion:

There's nothing wrong with saying "In God we trust" or displaying the Ten Commandments in a government office. And there's nothing right about taxing churches or forcing religious adoption agencies to "diversify their choices".

Homeland Security:

Homeland Security is a fascist anti-freedom machine of the federal government.

Gay Marriage:

Support a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions like the majority of Americans.

Death Penalty:

Oppose, being a Catholic. Smiley
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »

Gay Marriage:

Support a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions like the majority of Americans.

I don't know what dream land you are living in but the majority of Americans don't want ot ban same-sex marriages/civil unions. The majority of Americans don't really care.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »

Abortion:

I support the right for a women to make up their own mind on not to have one or not, but personal I don't agree with it at all. I also think after the first 3 months you should not be able to have one...except for rape, incest and self-defense

Iraq:

I agree with the war in Iraq when we started it, but now that Bush messed up the country and put it in worst shape then it was. I believe we need to stay in their untill things get alittle better. I believe we should get aid from the UN to help us with this, also send over half of our troops back home over a 1 year time frame. Yes. We should be down to 15 brigades by July, 10 brigades by December and 5 brigades by July 2009. At that point, the troops will be relocated to Baghdad and the borders of the country. By January 2011, we should be down to a permanent presence of 3 brigades, or 24000 troops

Tax Cuts:

I believe a flatter tax rate would help out everyone in the end, I would say anywhere between 15-20%
Disagree. The Reagan-Clinton tax code was best.
Gun Control:

Back ground checks should be done on everyone buying/living with someone with a gun. Banned hand guns. This is too intrusive. No more liberalization or regulation of gun laws, except for the liberalization of gun laws for stabilized and responsible people with pre-existing psychiatric conditions

Education:

Don't think school vouchers are a good idea, however there needs to be more money at both a state and federal level into our schools. School vouchers AND more money.

Religion:

Separation of church and state I believe has gone to far, having the word God on the money ect. dosen't point to one type of God.  Agree, the court rulings last year should be adheared to. The status quo is where it should be. We need to do a lot of soul searching about "Under God" because it is quite blasphemous

Homeland Security:

I would keep everything the same. No warrantless searches, No waterboarding

Other Civil Liberties:

Endaffirmative action Still allow private institutions the right to do it, have some type of action that will reward the hard-working poor
End the don't ask, don't tell policy. yes

Gay Marriage:

Strongly favour marriage for same-sex couplesgood idea

Death Penalty:

Support it, but make it hard to be put on death row. That seems like a good idea.

Gay Marriage:

I don't know what dream land you are living in but the majority of Americans don't want ot ban same-sex marriages/civil unions. The majority of Americans don't really care.
^ Agree....except for those who do, I guess.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »

Abortion:
Completely legal without questions asked during the first trimester.  Only in extenuating circumstances thereafter.

Iraq:

We never should have invaded Iraq, but it's too late now.  We need to have a time scale to hand over the responsibilities to the Iraqis while we can remain as a small force for further training, large scale emergencies, and logistical support.

Tax Cuts:

I strongly oppose any tax cuts for the rich, but support them for the poor.  The vast majority of government revenues should be derived from a progressive income tax, corporate taxes, and taxes on luxury goods with high taxes on fuel with rebates for the poor.  Taxes should be cut to near zero for the poor, should be reasonable for the middle class, and very high for the rich.  And we're talking in relative terms.  A tax rate of 70% on all wealth for personal incomes over $400,000 is completely fair.

Gun Control:

The sale of any guns should be subject to background checks and a waiting period of at least 3 days.  You should also have to take a gun safety course and keep your guns safely locked and unloaded.  Also, every bullet should have a code on it that is tied to the person who purchased it.  It should be a misdemeanor to fail to report stolen bullets/guns and a felony if that leads to a serious crime.

Educations:

A strong, globally competitive education system is important for America.  All education from pre-school-12th grade should be completely "free" and generous grants should be given to college students based on need with a strict adherence to the expected family contribution determined by various factors.  Those that can pay should, those that can't, shouldn't.  It shouldn't be a factor in your acceptance into a university (which I believe is different than the k-12 system)

Religion:

Is none of your business as yours is none of mine.  The government should not meddle with religion as religion should not meddle with the government.  Proven religious charities that do not proselytize could be eligible for government support.

Homeland Security:

Unnecessary.  I mean, I love a color coded chart as much as the next guy... but I can make one for much cheaper than the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Gay Marriage:

I support equal rights for homosexual and heterosexual couples.

Death Penalty:

I oppose it vehemently. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »

Abortion: I care a lot less about abortion than most people.  It should be handled at the state level.

Iraq:It's probably a good thing that we knocked off a bad guy, but its' time to come home.

Tax Cuts:Yes!

Gun Control:

Non-felons that can pass a background check should be able to get anything a single man can operate up to and including light machine guns.

Educations:

Dep. of Education should be gone just like Reagan wanted.  I'd like to see the different states experiment with different programs.  Vouchers are good idea.

Religion:

Should be separate from the state.  The religious shouldn't try and force their beliefs on the govt, the govt should stay out of the church.  I don't care one way or the other if "In God we trust" is on money or not.

Homeland Security:

If our borders aren't secure, we have no homeland security.

Gay Marriage:

Marriage should be left up to the church, anybody (including gay people) should be able to get a civil union.

Death Penalty:
Only with absolute proof. 
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »

Gay Marriage:

I don't know what kind of dream land you are living in but a vote to legalise domestic partnership benefits in Colorado failed by 53%, and politically Colorado is pretty typical of the US.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2007, 06:34:01 PM by The Hashish Eater »

Briefly...

Abortion:

I support the right of women to choose to not have an abortion.

Iraq:

Any suggestion to improve the situation on my part would be swimming in ignorance; none of the options sound particularly good and the Americans have probably made too many enemies...

Tax Cuts:

Something I'm not particularly caring about at least with my country's tax rates. The favourite issue of the Greedmongers and the Misantropes imo.

Gun Control:

What America needs from the outside is less 'invisible' social control; gun control is an irrevelance to that (and probably unenforcable).

Education:

Should be focused on the development of Individual persona, not training children into a live of McJobs. Treating Education as an investment is the one thing which is likely to get me involved into a blazing row with someone.

Religion:

Is a very good idea; if it weren't many of the so-called holy people. While people here bang on about seperation of church and state what is also important to make sure that church - no individual church - can gain a monopoly on social service (from Irish experience this lead to very bad things such as the end of Seperation of church and State) which is why policies moving charity away from the government and into the sphere of 'faith' is a very, very bad idea.

Homeland Security:

Hire the Sioux nation; they pioneered the idea in America after all.

Other Civil Liberties:

Other?

Gay Marriage:

Is an issue entirely brought up to help Republicans win elections, the fact that this was a non-issue until it became an obvious vote grabber is forgotten. And I am favour in making gay\lesbian (why are lesbians never mentioned in the context of "gay marriage"?) marriage legal, not that I think all GLB people would find it that desirable, never mind straights.

Death Penalty:

Pretty much Barbaric and unnessecary.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »

Briefly...

Abortion[/u]:

I support the right of women to choose to not have an abortion.  I know you are talking about madatory abortions, but what about the main issue?

Iraq[/u]:

Any suggestion to improve the situation on my part would be swimming in ignorance; none of the options sound particularly good and the Americans have probably made too many enemies...

Tax Cuts[/u]:

Something I'm not particularly caring about at least with my country's tax rates. The favourite issue of the Greedmongers and the Misantropes imo.

Gun Control:

What America needs from the outside is less 'invisible' social control; gun control is an irrevelance to that (and probably unenforcable).

Education[/u]:

Should be focused on the development of Individual persona, not training children into a live of McJobs. Treating Education as an investment is the one thing which is likely to get me involved into a blazing row with someone.

Religion[/u]:

Is a very good idea; if it weren't many of the so-called holy people. While people here bang on about seperation of church and state what is also important to make sure that church - no individual church - can gain a monopoly on social service (from Irish experience this lead to very bad things such as the end of Seperation of church and State) which is why policies moving charity away from the government and into the sphere of 'faith' is a very, very bad idea.

Homeland Security[/u]:

Other Civil Liberties[/u]:

Other?

Gay Marriage[/u]:

Is an issue entirely brought up to help Republicans win elections, the fact that this was a non-issue until it became an obvious vote grabber is forgotten. And I am favour in making gay\lesbian (why are lesbians never mentioned in the context of "gay marriage"?) marriage legal, not that I think all GLB people would find it that desirable, never mind straights.

Death Penalty[/u]:

Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »

Briefly...

Abortion[/u]:

Iraq[/u]:

Tax Cuts[/u]:

Gun Control:

Education[/u]:

Religion[/u]:

Homeland Security[/u]:

Other?

Gay Marriage[/u]:

Death Penalty[/u]:

You seem like the complete opposite of the typical Irish person...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2007, 06:07:12 PM »

Briefly...

Abortion[/u]:

Iraq[/u]:

Tax Cuts[/u]:

Gun Control:

Education[/u]:

Religion[/u]:

Homeland Security[/u]:

Other?

Gay Marriage[/u]:

Death Penalty[/u]:

You seem like the complete opposite of the typical Irish person...

(Not that Gully wouldn't necessarily agree with this...)
But anyway pray tell, for my own education, so as I'll know when I see one...what is the typical Irish person like?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2007, 06:42:26 PM by The Hashish Eater »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Or say that it is a bad thing. Wink

Actually I don't see myself as totally unIrish; actually every day more and more I see myself as a patriot bemoaning how this country has occasionally been brought low by its people.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A red headed dwarf from Country Keareeee who says Beogorrah alot, obviously.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2007, 06:52:45 PM by Temporary Republican »

Abortion:  Should be allowed without restriction for the first two trimesters. It should be restricted to saving the mother's life or euthanasia after. Roe basically set proper guidelines however.

Iraq:  Divide up the country into zones and withdraw ASAP. Start scaling back our costly military presence in various other nations. We must say no to any military action in Iran.

Tax Cuts: Taxes should be raised or cut according to how much we spend, period.

Gun Control:  It's a local issue and should be treated as such. I question the constitutionality of federal gun laws.

Education:  Abolish the Department of Education, scale back 'teaching to the test,' pay teachers more in exchange for less job security, allow for apprenticeships and more vocational training, and allow charter schools and regulated private school vouchers (i.e. ban serious discrimination).

Religion:  Keep it Separate from Government. No 10 Commandments in Public Spaces, 'Faith Based Initiatives,' Creationism, 'Blue Laws,' etc. People can do as they please, but the second they attempt to interfere with the rights of others (either privately or through legislation), they should be reprimanded.

Homeland Security:  Abolish the department, repeal the PATRIOT Act, restore habeas corpus, and aggressively fight any attempts to roll back FISA standards or other safeguards. If necessary, disband the CIA.

Gay Marriage:  Banning Gay Marriage is unconstitutional.

Death Penalty:  There's nothing wrong with killing an actual murder. However, between the ridiculously costly and lengthy nature of appeals, institutional racism, and concerns over the possibility of killing someone accidentally, it's clear that the Death Penalty for 1st Degree Murder is more trouble than it's worth. We might as well abolish it already, at least for the above crime.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2007, 06:47:44 PM »

Abortion:

Fully in support of a woman's right to choose. I do however not like the idea of so called 'partial birth abortions', but do not believe they should be outlawed.

Iraq:

Don't go meddling in other nations' affairs.

Tax Cuts:

Cut indirect taxation, increase direct taxation.

Gun Control:

Firearms completely outlawed.

Educations:

Pour more money into public schools. Take it out of the defense budget, if you like.

Religion:

Complete separation of church and state, not a nominal lip-service separation. Remove 'under god' from the pledge, and  "IN GOD WE TRUST" from coins.

Homeland Security:

Abolish the department.

Other Civil Liberties:

Affirmative action is discrimination.

End the don't ask, don't tell policy. Have a military accepting of all orientations.

Gay Marriage:

Sure, why the hell not? This should be left to the states, though.

Death Penalty:

Never. Period.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2007, 02:01:50 AM »

Abortion: states rights, but would prefer abortions to be legal

Iraq: Opposed 100%, this is only imperialism

Tax cuts: support, but everyone should get the same percentage cut

Gun control: legalise firearms completely

Education: NO federal money in public schools, no Department of Education, leave to each state

Religion: government should not encourage one religion over another, other than that I don't really care

Homeland Security: Abolish the DHS and the PATRIOT ACT because it contradicts several amendments in the Bill of Rights, mainly the fourth

Affirmative action: discriminitory, does not reflect ability

Don't ask, don't tell: end the policy

Gay marriage: oppose government recognition of any marriage, heterosexual or homo

Death penalty: state issue, would prefer banning except for serial killers and real treasonists
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2007, 10:58:37 AM »

Abortion:

Fully in support of a woman's right to choose. I really, truly believe in making abortion rare...even unthinkable.  But we're going to have to seriously re-arrange our priorities as a nation before that happens.

Iraq:

Massive clusterphuck from the start, predicated completely on lies and obfuscation.  War was started and is maintained for the benefit of big Republican campaign donors and Bush-Cheney "friends" and associates. 

Tax Cuts:

Oppose nearly all at this point, but only because The Decider has so screwed up our economy.  Even John McCain, John Warner and George Voinovich saw the foolishness in giving tax cuts to the fabulously rich in a time of war.

Gun Control:

Stronger laws against military-style assault weapons.  Mandatory locks and backgroun checks.  Preserve the right of hunters, shooters and collectors to possess and use firearms safely.  Close gun show loophole. 

Education:

Oppose vouchers.  Massive infusion of cash for poorer school districts in urban and rural areas. Federal Scholarships for College tuition good. Increase teacher pay, but open to merit pay.

Religion:

Protect the sanctity of religion by completely ending government sponsorship thereof.  Return to Baptist principles of Separation.  Remove all reference to God from money, pledge and taxpayer funded institutions. Jealously protect the right of religious people to practice their faith, privately and publicly, just not on the taxpayers' dime.

Homeland Security:

Get serious about ports, rail lines, cargo inspection.

Other Civil Liberties:  (Couldn't say it better, so left your statements in place!)

Preserve affirmative action, especially in areas like medicine where the need for African-American and hispanic doctors is the most.

End the don't ask, don't tell policy. Have a military accepting of all orientations.

Gay Marriage:

Favor. But every religious denomination must have the right to decline to perform such ceremonies.

Death Penalty:

Oppose completely.  But favor stricter sentences, including hard labor, for child molesters, rapists, egregious murderers and drug dealers.  I support prison reform, but my "reformed" prison system would not look like many would think.  Breaking rocks isn't always a bad thing.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »

Abortion: Pro-choice, but I don't consider it a huge enormous issue as some do.

Iraq: Bit too late now for the US to leave, but they should continue transferring security powers to Iraqis and review the strategy while coming up with a phase withdrawal plan.

Tax Cuts: No opinion on the US issue, but I'm mixed on Harper's GST cut, it's not an economically genial thing to do.

Gun Control: Mandatory gun safety courses, outlaw all assault weapons. Pro gun-control overall.

Educations: More funding for education, as the Ontario Liberal government has done. Undecided on vouchers issue.

Religion: I'm a staunch secular and I favor passing a law based on the French 1905 complete separation of church and state law. Strongly opposed to 10 Commandments in public buildings, any type of prayer in public schools, keep religion private. Remove "under god" from pledge.

Homeland Security: Hasn't done jacksh**t since coming up with the little color scheme. Get serious about security elsewhere than looking through hair gel in airports, such as in harbors, borders etc.

Other Civil Liberties:

Opposed to affirmative action, you need to get a job based on merit and qualifications.

End the don't ask, don't tell policy

Gay Marriage: Support homosexual civil unions. Leave it to the states to decide about marriage. And not the Mayor of Begles, France who randomly decided to marry a couple without any constitutional backing.

Death Penalty: I support the death penalty for repeat-offenders in child molesting/murder, treason, terrorism, first degree murder
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies