UK Prime Minister
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:01:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  UK Prime Minister
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Prime Minister  (Read 1896 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »

Okay, I know this has no chance of happening, but I'll ask it anyway. It's more of a question of british law than American law, though:

Let's suppose Bill Clinton moved to England right after he left office. He stayed there for a certain number of years. Could he run for House of Commons? Could he theoretically become Prime Minister?
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »

Wiki says that:
In order to become an MP, one must be a citizen of the UK or one of its territories, the Republic of Ireland, or of a member of the Commonwealth, so Clinton would need to become a citizen of one of these countries first. (There are many other requirements, which basically require that one be a competent citizen in good standing) 

One can gain British citizenship after a five-year period as a legal alien there, as well as passing a test and some other requirements.  So if Clinton moved right after his term ended, he could have been a UK citizen in 2006, and if he had stood in and won a by-election he could be an MP right now.

The prime minister is technically just the chief advisor to the monarch, so anyone can become PM (one does not need to be an MP first, or even a citizen).  In practice, the PM is always the leader of the largest party/bloc in the House of Commons.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »

There are at least two German born Labour M.P's, btw (Natascha Engel and Gisela Stuart).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »

Actually, the 1st Viscount Astor was a member of the New York State House and Senate before moving to Great Britain.  He was ennobled at a time when the PM could be drawn from the Lords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Waldorf_Astor%2C_1st_Viscount_Astor

His daughter-in-law was born in Virginia, of American parents, and was the famous "Lady Astor, the first woman elected to the Commons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Astor

My guess is both Roosevelts could have done it, and I'd expect that either Clinton could. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:59:03 PM »

My guess is both Roosevelts could have done it, and I'd expect that either Clinton could. Smiley

I doubt that the British would be interested in a second Iron Lady just yet, but then they'd be getting Brass, not Iron if they went with Hillary as PM.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:41 PM »

I think there is residency requirements. I believe that's all I'd need to vote in a British election as a citizen of her majesty's commonwealth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies