Blair apologises to Cameron over stolen policy.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:34:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Blair apologises to Cameron over stolen policy.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blair apologises to Cameron over stolen policy.  (Read 803 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,2099641,00.html

'Tony Blair has been forced to issue an unprecedented apology to David Cameron after a Tory anti-terrorism initiative was unveiled by Gordon Brown weeks after the Conservative leader passed on the idea in private to the Prime Minister.

Blair apology over Cameron terror plan

Tory leader's anger as phone tap initiative he outlined in private is adopted by Brown

Nicholas Watt, political editor
Sunday June 10, 2007
The Observer

Tony Blair has been forced to issue an unprecedented apology to David Cameron after a Tory anti-terrorism initiative was unveiled by Gordon Brown weeks after the Conservative leader passed on the idea in private to the Prime Minister.

An embarrassed Downing Street gave the Prime Minister's apologies to Cameron's office last week after the Tory leader expressed his anger when he found his idea trailed by Brown as a new tool for tackling terrorism.

Article continues
The extraordinary gesture from the Prime Minister to the leader of the Opposition was made after Brown called last weekend for a privy council review into whether telephone tap evidence should be admitted as evidence in court. A series of Sunday newspapers, including The Observer, carried Brown's comments as a sign of how he will adopt a tough approach to tackling terrorism.

A furious Cameron instructed his office to contact Downing Street last Monday to find out what had happened, because he had suggested the idea to Blair in a private meeting in No 10 two weeks earlier. Cameron was particularly upset because the meeting with Blair was meant to establish a cross-party consensus on dealing with the terrorist threat.'

---------------

And you wonder why we keep schtum over our policy ideas...
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »

I just noticed your signature.

Evita eh? Nice. It could be applied to a great many politicians...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »

I thought it was appropriate considering Blair is on his own foreign 'Rainbow Tour' of countries that don't hate him Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »

I thought it was appropriate considering Blair is on his own foreign 'Rainbow Tour' of countries that don't hate him Smiley

In regards to the article you posted above, I think "Oh, What a Circus!" could work quite well Tongue
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »

I think we could be seeing a rather accelerated collapse by Labour begining, the feeling with me has always been that while Labour was taking some hits, the Cameron team wasn't the one hitting hard, it was Labour, and I expected the next GE to come in a years time with no winner, now I'm not so sure....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 03:36:48 PM »

The only surprising thing here is that he apologised. Nicking policies on this sort of issue is very common (and for what it's worth, I think that this particular policy is a bad one and not worth stealing) and has been for a while (as has more subtle theft in other areas). That's politics for you, sadly.

And TNetc: take your blue-tinted specs off please...
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »

The only surprising thing here is that he apologised. Nicking policies on this sort of issue is very common (and for what it's worth, I think that this particular policy is a bad one and not worth stealing) and has been for a while (as has more subtle theft in other areas). That's politics for you, sadly.

And TNetc: take your blue-tinted specs off please...

We'el see my friend, excited for the World Cup?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies