florida 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:24:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  florida 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: florida 2010  (Read 970 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »

im really hoping for a debbie wasserman-schultz challenge to whathisname.  the sec of hud turned part time senator turned part time (and inneffective) leader of the rnc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz - extremely annoying
Mel Martinez - Uh...whatever

Talk about a race I'd hate to watch.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 10:48:47 PM »

im really hoping for a debbie wasserman-schultz challenge to whathisname.  the sec of hud turned part time senator turned part time (and inneffective) leader of the rnc.

she would be an excellent Senator
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:21:07 PM »

I'd like for Jim Davis to give it a run. Martinez is a hell of a much weaker candidate than Crist, who is actually turning out to be a good governor after all.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:28:03 PM »

I'd like for Jim Davis to give it a run. Martinez is a hell of a much weaker candidate than Crist, who is actually turning out to be a good governor after all.

I don't know how Martinez won in 2004 because he was a very weak candidate.  He probably only won due to Bush's coattails.  If there is a Republican President in office in 2010, I don't see how he wins reelection.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 11:30:36 PM »

If there is a Republican President in office in 2010, I don't see how he wins reelection.

....a popular Republican President might help him....
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 11:34:52 PM »

If there is a Republican President in office in 2010, I don't see how he wins reelection.

Presidents are rarely popular enough to held their party in a midterm.  The only example is Bush in 2002 and that was because of 9/11.  I don't count Clinton in 1998 because Republicans already held so many vulnerable seats.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:05:32 AM »

I don't know how Martinez won in 2004 because he was a very weak candidate.  He probably only won due to Bush's coattails.  If there is a Republican President in office in 2010, I don't see how he wins reelection.

It was Bush winning Florida 52%-47% that allowed Martinez to win 49%-48% - he ran better than Bush only in Miami.  I'm not sure whether Debbie Wassmeran-Schultz would be the best candidate against Martinez, but he is definitely vulnerable.  If only Allen Boyd weren't so old he would be a decent candidate.  I think it could end up being Alex Sink, the only elected statewide Democrat. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

I see a Republican President in 2010 being anout average in terms of popularity, Also Florida leans Republican in the midterms of that year due to the fact that it is becoming more of a Republican state.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »

The only reason Mel Martinez is in the senate is because of Miami, and he had a pretty weak opponent in Betty Castor. I think Jim Davis,Wasserman-Schultz, and Alex Sink would be good choices. It should definitely be targeted in 2010.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 11:16:45 PM »

Presidents are rarely popular enough to held their party in a midterm.  The only example is Bush in 2002 and that was because of 9/11.  I don't count Clinton in 1998 because Republicans already held so many vulnerable seats.

If you want to go back in U.S History, you can look to the Depression era midterm of 1934 in which the Democrats picked up 9 House seats and 10 Senate seats. I'd say FDR wasn't a liability to Democrats in that election. That was before his ill-fated court-packing plan.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 03:55:43 AM »

If you want to go back in U.S History, you can look to the Depression era midterm of 1934 in which the Democrats picked up 9 House seats and 10 Senate seats. I'd say FDR wasn't a liability to Democrats in that election. That was before his ill-fated court-packing plan.

Roosevelt in 1934, Kennedy in 1962, Clinton in 1998 and Bush in 2002 are exceptions that prove the rule.  By comparison, look at Truman in 1946, Eisenhower in 1954 and especially 1958, Johnson in 1966, Nixon in 1974, Carter in 1978, Reagan in 1982 and 1986 and Clinton in 1994. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:58:55 AM »

It was Bush winning Florida 52%-47% that allowed Martinez to win 49%-48% - he ran better than Bush only in Miami.  I'm not sure whether Debbie Wassmeran-Schultz would be the best candidate against Martinez, but he is definitely vulnerable.  If only Allen Boyd weren't so old he would be a decent candidate.  I think it could end up being Alex Sink, the only elected statewide Democrat. 

wasserman-schultz would be an excellent candidate and an even better senator!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies