The Hill: Simpson told Cubin he would Primary her
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Simpson told Cubin he would Primary her
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Simpson told Cubin he would Primary her  (Read 1449 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:10:42 AM »

By Aaron Blake
June 12, 2007

Wyoming state Rep. Colin Simpson (R), a candidate in the senatorial appointment process in that state, last month told Rep. Barbara Cubin (R-Wyo.) he would challenge her in a primary in 2008.

Simpson, the son of former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), yesterday told The Hill that on May 20 he met with Cubin to let her know he would be running against her.

“I told her I was running in 2008 for the U.S. House and wanted her to be the first to know,” said Simpson, who began traveling the state on Sunday to meet with members of the 71-member party central committee, which is responsible for picking three potential appointees.

Cubin fended off a surprisingly strong primary challenge from under-funded retired Navy Capt. Bill Winney with 60 percent of the vote in 2006. She went on to win by less than 1 percent in the general election.

Wyoming political insiders say Simpson would provide an even stronger primary challenge.

Simpson said Cubin said she intended to announce in early 2008 that she is running for reelection and that it was “a nice conversation.” He also said he would still be interested in running for the House or Senate if he does not get the appointment.

The Senate seat became vacant when Sen. Craig Thomas (R-Wyo.) died last week after a seven-month battle with leukemia.
Simpson also said he met with Thomas last year to talk about a Senate bid. At the time, Thomas had not announced whether he was running for reelection.

“He looked at me and he said, ‘I’ve got three-quarters of a million dollars, and I’m running hard,’” Simpson said. “I said that’s all I needed to know.”

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/simpson-told-cubin-he-would-primary-her-2007-06-12.html
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:24:27 AM »

If he doesn't get the appointment, I hope he defeats Cubin. She is a waste in the House.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:02:02 PM »

Terrific news.  I have far more confidence in Simpson beating Cubin than I do in Trauner doing the same.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

But then who will bake the cookies?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »

But then who will bake the cookies?

We'll all miss her phallic cookies.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 07:34:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

translated into a line a wrestler would use:

"You see that title over your shoulder. I'm coming, and at Summerslam, I'm taking it b****."
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 11:22:59 PM »

What an overambitious poltician. I suppose he would be better than Cubin, but that doesn't say much.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »

By NOELLE STRAUB
Star-Tribune Washington bureau Saturday, June 16, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Angry that state Rep. Colin Simpson publicly revealed a conversation they had on their political futures, U.S. Rep. Barbara Cubin blasted her potential 2008 GOP primary challenger Wednesday as having "unbridled political ambition" and lacking judgment and discretion.

Simpson told a Capitol Hill newspaper earlier this week that he had met with Cubin last month to let her know he would run against her in the House Republican primary. Now a candidate for the open U.S. Senate seat of the late Craig Thomas, Simpson may no longer challenge her.

The paper also reported that Simpson said Cubin, who has not yet said publicly whether she will run again, told him she intended to announce in early 2008 that she is running for re-election.

Cubin released a statement in response to the news article.

"It's unfortunate that Mr. Simpson's unbridled political ambition would provoke him to share what I considered a private conversation with the press," Cubin said. "When the time is appropriate, I will make my own announcement about the 2008 election."

"While I will never fault anyone for enthusiasm, there are just some things you are trusted to keep to yourself," Cubin added. "This move shows a disappointing lack of the judgment and discretion I consider to be absolutely essential characteristics of anyone seeking to represent their fellow citizens in the U.S. Congress."

Simpson said he believes he only told the paper that Cubin said she'll make an announcement next year, but not which way she would decide. He said he has "great respect and affection" for Cubin.

"We've worked well together over the years," he added in a telephone interview. "I'm really surprised by her reaction. In my 20-year professional and political career I have practiced candor and honesty and integrity, and I know Rep. Cubin and I will move forward in a positive manner from here."

Simpson said he did not reveal Cubin's re-election plans and thinks the quote was inaccurate. He said he told the reporter only that Cubin would make an announcement on her political future early next year.

"I believe what I said is that she would announce her intentions in 2008, not her intention one way or the other, but that she would make a formal announcement in 2008," he said.

Simpson has been traveling the state meeting with members of the state GOP central committee, which will send Gov. Dave Freudenthal the names of three candidates to fill the seat of Thomas.

He said he'd been to 13 counties and covered 1,000 miles, meeting with 29 central committee members.

"It's great fun," he said. "We just filed the application with the state Republican headquarters."

The flap began when Simpson told The Hill newspaper earlier this week that he met with Cubin on May 20 to let her know he would run against her.

"I told her I was running in 2008 for the U.S. House and wanted her to be the first to know," the paper quoted Simpson as saying.

He said Cubin told him she intended to announce in early 2008 that she is running for re-election and that it was "a nice conversation," the paper reported. He also said he would still be interested in running for the House or Senate if he doesn't get appointed to the current opening.

Cubin faced a surprisingly strong primary challenge last year but won with 60 percent of the vote. She won the general election by about 1,000 votes against Democrat Gary Trauner.

Nathan Gonzales, political editor of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report, said the flap likely won't affect the current political situation.

"There may be an unwritten rule that candidates make their own announcement about running or not running," Gonzales said. "But I doubt this is going to have much of an impact on the Senate decision-making process or a potential House primary or House race."

Gonzales predicted that Simpson's comments won't hurt him.

"I don't know that there's a huge Cubin machine that will fail to support Simpson in a Senate run or other run for office," he said. "If he challenges her in a primary, they're not going to like each other anyway."

Until Cubin officially announces, it remains to be seen how the candidate field will shape up, Gonzales said.

"There are Republicans in Washington that would be concerned about the seat if Cubin does run for re-election," he said. "The race was pretty darn close last cycle, and I think that's a concern for Republicans."

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2007/06/16/news/wyoming/b20d8684c70a6699872572f90081af3e.txt

As he failed to make it down to the final three for the Senate nomination, Simpson could still challenge Cubin in 2008. 
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:45:46 PM »

Alan Simpson is my hero.  I will walk to Wyoming if I have to, to help his son.  I guess I'd have to, as planes don't go to Wyoming Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies